Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mitered Half-Laps

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 3:43*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Nice touch with the Jeopardy theme. Joint was well executed too.
Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2010 6:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Informative and nicely done, liked the music too

Although I'ved used a router to clean up the bottom I've stopped doing so
because I can do it with a four in hand file and/or a chisel faster and
about as well.

Agreed, informative and nicely done, Brian! Not too sure about the
music, though...

Have never made one (yet), but now have a much better understanding of
how to do it. Thanks!

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Pretty cool Brian. Nicely done!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote
Very clever; however, the Jeopardy Show might voice an objection
unless you are willing to pay for the right to use their material.

Are you serious?

I've heard many horror stores of companies going after anyone infringing
upon their copyrights. Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a
Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it. ASCAP
has gone after stores playing music in stores. You'd probably only get a
cease and desist order if it is non-commercial, but I'd not use anyone's
music or images unless they are in the public domain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bull****.

ASCAP
has gone after stores playing music in stores. You'd probably only get a
cease and desist order if it is non-commercial, but I'd not use anyone's
music or images unless they are in the public domain.

That would be performance to an audience (customers) for commercial
gain. They have whole division set up just to track down stores who
don't pay the public performance fees. That's because there are
thousands of stores playing music to millions of customers and it's been
proven that the music makes them buy more=commercial gain.

They're not going to waste time and resources going after someone who
uses they're outdated theme song as a parody in a video on an obscure
website that gets a few hundred hits.

Even if it was on youtube, getting a million hits and he was generating
ad revenue, it would probably fall under the under 30 seconds fair use
rules.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/10 10:50 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Very clever; however, the Jeopardy Show might voice an objection
unless you are willing to pay for the right to use their material.

"Sneaking up on it" doesn't do much for me.

Isn't "Tooling" is supposed to eliminate the need to sneak up on it?

My thoughts exactly. I'd have mounted the board in a jig and used a
much larger bit with guide to take it at the line, then quickly pare
off the rest of the field in 1/10th the time and effort.shrug

Larry, honestly, I try to like you but when you write these juvenile
little action scripts, shrug sigh etc., it come across as very
condescending and immature.

A tenon jig would have been a whole lot quicker, too, including
building the 45-degree tenoning jig.

How about you guys take some videos and post them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

I've heard many horror stores of companies going after anyone infringing
upon their copyrights. Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a
Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it.

Bull****.

My wife does machine embroidery and has a collection of thousands of
characters. She is also up on the latest problems with copyright
infringement and knows all the stories, especially of Disney. They have
been verified. I don't really give a crap what you believe, but there have
even been court cases where anything commercial was involved.

You may even be unaware of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act but
that does not mean it does not exist either. Steamboat Willy lives. Check
the 1999 Eric Eldred filings that have been struck down. The Disney Empire
depends on intellectual property and they defend it vigorously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Nice video and funny music. My wife laughed her ass off. I think that
it's real nice of you to show videos of things you do to guys that
have a little to moderate experience so that they can add this to
their "I can do list". I personally like splined miters but I didn't
do a video to show how. Good on you I say.

Russ P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(

I really like your videos and have learned a lot from them (and will review
them as needed . I too was disappointed in the "sneak up on" advice. That's
the part that always bites me. The jig is a fantastic idea (a hint on how to
make them would be nice) and I'll steal that part, however I'll do my best to
figure out a way around the "sneak up on" part.

IS there a reason you used such a small router bit? It would seem like a 1/2"
bit in a 3/4" bushing, or some such, would be easier and give a known "sneak
up" factor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! *Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. *:^(

I really like your videos and have learned a lot from them (and will review
them as needed . *I too was disappointed in the "sneak up on" advice. That's
the part that always bites me. *The jig is a fantastic idea (a hint on how to
make them would be nice) and I'll steal that part, however I'll do my best to
figure out a way around the "sneak up on" part. *

IS there a reason you used such a small router bit?

yes, I don't own the guide bushing I needed for the larger bit. The
other large guide bushings that I do own were to tall and extended
above my 1/2 mdf jig.

I'm sure there must be a way around sneaking up on it and would to
hear of any working solutions. Thanks!

*It would seem like a 1/2"
bit in a 3/4" bushing, or some such, would be easier and give a known "sneak
up" factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 1:34*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Those are the same questions I have. Why sneak up rather than make the
line the first cut?

And the small bit had me pondering too.

The jigs are great, but I don't really get the rest of the technique.
It seems to me with a bit more thought they could be modified to
eliminate the sneaking.

I don't own the appropriate guide bushing. Would love to hear any
suggestions regarding the sneaking up other than "use an indexing
pin". Where would you put an indexing pin?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 3:25*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article
,

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:34*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

I'd be tempted to add a hold-down clamp to the jig, align the piece to
cut to your line (so the size of the bushing becomes irrelevant), clamp
it in place, and go from there.

That would certaintly make things easier. You'd have to add a clamp
at either end of the jig (remember I used both sides). Thanks for the
tip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:01:28 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks
wrote:

On Mar 28, 1:34*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Oh, I thought bushings came is sets of every reasonable size. For small
parts, how about a stop on the back edge of the jig with a spacer equal to the
radii of the bushing-bit? Align the stop block to the distance from the cut
to be opposite end and add the spacer to push the work the proper distance
(further) into the bit.

Or, perhaps for larger pieces, or where the opposite end isn't yet finished,
marks on the jig placed radius(bushing)-radius(bit) apart. Clamp and have at
it.

....just thinking. I really do like the jigs, though. Do you make them at one
time and then cut in half?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

If your material is thick enough you can use a dado clean-out bit to
clean it up. It's just a short top bearing guided bit that can run
against the sawn miter.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/10 1:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

[...]

I don't know about any of that stuff you wrote, because it's completely
irrelevant to your baby bib at Disney allegory.

Show me one documented case of Disney grabbing some baby's bib and
confiscating it and I'll apologize. Until then, I stand by my first
assessment of the grandma baby bib "horror story" as bull****. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:34*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Yes, they do come in sets. And, no, they do not contain every size
bushing you will ever need. Aside from differing in diameter, they
also differ in height. My larger diameter bushings are too tall (it
would hit the stock).

*For small parts, how about a stop on the back edge of the jig with a spacer equal to the
radii of the bushing-bit? *Align the stop block to the distance from the cut
to be opposite end and add the spacer to push the work the proper distance
(further) into the bit. *

You would need to be able to remove it when doing the opposite side
and be able to put in a second one for the other half-lap. Remember
the same jig is used twice. One for the 45 half-lap and one for the
90 half-lap.

Plus your solution would only work for short stock. My train table
stock shown in the video was quite long.

Or, perhaps for larger pieces, or where the opposite end isn't yet finished,
marks on the jig placed radius(bushing)-radius(bit) apart. *Clamp and have at
it.

This sounds a little better.

IMHO, I think 'we' are making to much of the "sneaking up" on it
maneuver. There's nothing to it. This isn't brain surgery. :^)

...just thinking. *I really do like the jigs, though. *Do you make them at one
time and then cut in half?

I made them several years ago and I honestly don't remember. I would
make them independently to make things easier (probably what I did).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/10 6:22 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
Oh, I thought bushings came is sets of every reasonable size.

Yes, they do come in sets. And, no, they do not contain every size
bushing you will ever need. Aside from differing in diameter, they
also differ in height. My larger diameter bushings are too tall (it
would hit the stock).

I had that problem when I got my dovetail jig, so I cut the sumbench down.
I used the bandsaw and then the disc sander.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:41:28 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 3/27/10 10:50 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Very clever; however, the Jeopardy Show might voice an objection
unless you are willing to pay for the right to use their material.

"Sneaking up on it" doesn't do much for me.

Isn't "Tooling" is supposed to eliminate the need to sneak up on it?

My thoughts exactly. I'd have mounted the board in a jig and used a
much larger bit with guide to take it at the line, then quickly pare
off the rest of the field in 1/10th the time and effort.shrug

Larry, honestly, I try to like you but when you write these juvenile
little action scripts, shrug sigh etc., it come across as very
condescending and immature.

Well, my posts are not intended to be that way. shrug When you
detect a whole lot of facetiousness in a post, consider it humor, eh?

A tenon jig would have been a whole lot quicker, too, including
building the 45-degree tenoning jig.

How about you guys take some videos and post them.

No camera, and far too much crap in the shop to take pics of it. =:0

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 7:48*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/28/10 6:22 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Oh, I thought bushings came is sets of every reasonable size.

Yes, they do come in sets. *And, no, they do not contain every size
bushing you will ever need. *Aside from differing in diameter, they
also differ in height. *My larger diameter bushings are too tall (it
would hit the stock).

I had that problem when I got my dovetail jig, so I cut the sumbench down..
I used the bandsaw and then the disc sander.

Not a bad solution. I would be tempted to do that, but I don't make
mitered half laps often enough. They are fun to make though.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/10 7:01 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Larry, honestly, I try to like you but when you write these juvenile
little action scripts,shrug sigh etc., it come across as very
condescending and immature.

Well, my posts are not intended to be that way.shrug When you
detect a whole lot of facetiousness in a post, consider it humor, eh?

It's all good. peace

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

I've heard many horror stores of companies going after anyone
infringing
upon their copyrights. Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a
Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it.

Bull****.

My wife does machine embroidery and has a collection of thousands of
characters. She is also up on the latest problems with copyright
infringement and knows all the stories, especially of Disney. They have
been verified. I don't really give a crap what you believe, but there
have even been court cases where anything commercial was involved.

Show me one documented case of Disney grabbing some baby's bib and
confiscating it and I'll apologize. Until then, I stand by my first
assessment of the grandma baby bib "horror story" as bull****. :-)

First, you show me where I said it was confiscated. I left everything I
posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/10 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote

[...]

Oh, please. How weak.

Ok, then, *you* tell me what will happen to Grandma or the parents or
the baby.
*Something* must happen. After all, you've heard "horror stories."

I left everything you posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
[...]

How weak? You put words in my mouth and then call me weak when I call you
on it?

People have been asked to leave the park, people have been given legal
notice to cease and desist. It does not make for a pleasant day. Those
that have done it commercially have been taken to court.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/29/10 4:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
How weak? You put words in my mouth and then call me weak when I call
you on it?

Hardly. You were in retreat mode because you knew it was bs.

People have been asked to leave the park, people have been given legal
notice to cease and desist. It does not make for a pleasant day. Those
that have done it commercially have been taken to court.

Show me one documented case or one newspaper article about someone
getting kicked out of Disney for wearing a homemade Disney character
shirt and I'll apologize.

Until then, I call your following statements BS:
"Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a
Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it."
"People have been asked to leave the park,"

Your words, I didn't put anything "in your mouth."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/29/10 4:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
How weak? You put words in my mouth and then call me weak when I call
you on it?

Hardly. You were in retreat mode because you knew it was bs.

People have been asked to leave the park, people have been given legal
notice to cease and desist. It does not make for a pleasant day. Those
that have done it commercially have been taken to court.

Show me one documented case or one newspaper article about someone getting
kicked out of Disney for wearing a homemade Disney character shirt and
I'll apologize.

Until then, I call your following statements BS:
"Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a
Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it."
"People have been asked to leave the park,"

Your words, I didn't put anything "in your mouth."

My TRUE words. I don't give a crap what you think, I'm not going back a
couple of years to do the research . It was published publicly in a couple
of newspapers. Oh, it has come up in the Disney stores in the mall also.

But I will offer you this from Disney Corporate. Authorization of
vigilantes.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/corpo...andards18.html
Cast Members and employees should assist the Company in protecting its
copyrights, patents and trademarks.
The Company has an extensive and valuable collection of copyrights, patents
and trademarks. Substantial effort and money is expended to protect this
valuable property from infringement. Any Cast Member or employee who knows
or suspects that someone has infringed a copyright, patent or a trademark of
the Company should advise the Corporate Legal Department.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! *Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. *:^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on
you tube?

Charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! *Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. *:^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. *You have a great website. *Are your videos on
you tube?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! Yes, aside from being on my webpage they are also on
Youtube. I have a Youtube channel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! *Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. *:^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. *You have a great website. *Are your videos on
you tube?

Charlie

My Youtube channel is he
http://www.youtube.com/user/GarageWoodworks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:57:25 -0400, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"
scrawled the following:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Here, you two: www.motel6.com They left the light on for ya.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:42:26 -0700 (PDT), the infamous
"jack-bench.com" scrawled the following:

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! *Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. *:^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on
you tube?

Speaking of videos, Charlie, why don't you have a video of your bench
going up and down?

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on
you tube?

Speaking of videos, Charlie, why don't you have a video of your bench
going up and down?

He does.

Pretty fancy... ; )

Yes, and I love the idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:02:02 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

.. .

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on
you tube?

Speaking of videos, Charlie, why don't you have a video of your bench
going up and down?

He does.

Where? The only one I saw was where he was talking in front of it. I
didn't see one dance. URL?

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
--old Gaelic blessing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:02:02 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

. ..

wrote:

Just put this together:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Comments welcomed.

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end,
there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my
preferred.
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.
--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on
you tube?

Speaking of videos, Charlie, why don't you have a video of your bench
going up and down?

He does.

Where? The only one I saw was where he was talking in front of it. I
didn't see one dance. URL?

Videos 1 and 5:

http://www.jack-bench.com/workbench%...h%20videos.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 00:07:19 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
Where? The only one I saw was where he was talking in front of it. I
didn't see one dance. URL?

Videos 1 and 5:

http://www.jack-bench.com/workbench%...h%20videos.htm

Yeah, I found them right after writing that. Actuation is a bit on
the bumpy side, but it works as advertised, alright.

Kudos, Charlie.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/10 12:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Where? The only one I saw was where he was talking in front of it. I
didn't see one dance. URL?

Videos 1 and 5:

http://www.jack-bench.com/workbench%...h%20videos.htm

Yeah, I found them right after writing that. Actuation is a bit on
the bumpy side, but it works as advertised, alright.

I just watch a couple of those and see a pretty glaring flaw.
When it's lowered, that threaded rod with the eye-loop, sticks out
pretty far,
right at the level of many knees.

Ever hit your kneecap on a metal support underneath a table at a
restaurant?
Last time I did, I about puked from the pain.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 4/1/10 12:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Where? The only one I saw was where he was talking in front of it. I
didn't see one dance. URL?

Videos 1 and 5:

http://www.jack-bench.com/workbench%...h%20videos.htm

Yeah, I found them right after writing that. Actuation is a bit on
the bumpy side, but it works as advertised, alright.

I just watch a couple of those and see a pretty glaring flaw.
When it's lowered, that threaded rod with the eye-loop, sticks out pretty
far,
right at the level of many knees.

Ever hit your kneecap on a metal support underneath a table at a
restaurant?
Last time I did, I about puked from the pain.

I hate it when somebody does that ...

Cutting half laps with a dado blade? Upscale Woodworking 50 August 9th 09 05:40 PM
Update on cutting half laps Upscale Woodworking 7 August 7th 09 02:55 AM
Half-full/half-empty kind of issue D.M. Procida UK diy 4 January 19th 06 09:52 PM
Mitered Half Lap stoutman Woodworking 9 June 20th 05 05:36 PM
Mitered Half Lap?? stoutman Woodworking 5 June 8th 05 03:11 PM