Posted to rec.woodworking

Default To My Friends In South Texas This Evening

Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

Thanks for thinking of us, Tom, but NO problem ... got beaucoup of big
Al's media clippings to burn until it swings back the other way.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

We were warned:

"However widely the weather varies from place to place and time to time,
when meteorologists take an average of temperatures around the globe they
find that the atmosphere has been growing gradually cooler for the past
three decades. The trend shows no indication of reversing. Climatological
Cassandras are becoming increasingly apprehensive, for the weather
aberrations they are studying may be the harbinger of another ice age." --
Time Magazine

http://www.junkscience.com/mar06/Tim...June241974.pdf

On another group I predicted:
---
* School closings.
* Freeway closings.
* Runs on canned goods, candles, batteries, and strawberry pop-tarts.
* Widespread panic as residents try to flee by going south only to discover
the Gulf of Mexico. They will weep uncontrollably.
* Overflowing emergency rooms and church pews.
* Flight cancellations (there are NO snow plows at Houston airports).
* Confusion on the part of feral cats.
* A drop-off in crime as goblins conclude they're having a bad trip.
* A five or six-fold increase in auto collisions.
* Reporters will contribute to the mass unrest ("This just in: The Kroger
store on Left Elbow Ave. is OUT OF BOTTLED WATER. Residents advised to run
for their lives!").
* Children, bundled up in every bit of clothing they own, will scrape snow
from car hoods and construct six-inch high snowmen. They will call it good.
* There will be NO keg parties as there were during hurricane Yikes. Some
will swear off booze entirely (these heart-felt oaths have usually been
proven to be temporary).

Pray for us.
---
For a report on the devastation, visit www.chron.com, the website of the
Houston Chronicle. Note also the user-contributed pictures there of the rack
and ruin wroght by the wrathful gods. Also note the front-page instructions
on how to steer out of a skid.

It hasn't snowed this early in Houston since they started keeping records,
right after our Second War of Independence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 8:14*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

This was the first snow-free November in 162 years in the City Of
Toronto.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
not that it means anything, but those global warming doom-sayers are
creating a lot of heat with their jaws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

And those Houston folks sent it east, to us here in south LA. Records
show it has never snowed here on Dec 4th, until this evening. Last
year it snowed on Dec 11th. The gumbo was perfect, both times.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
And those Houston folks sent it east, to us here in south LA. Records
show it has never snowed here on Dec 4th, until this evening. Last
year it snowed on Dec 11th. The gumbo was perfect, both times.

Whereabouts, cher?

I just finished the last bowl I made for Thanksgiving last night ... to
hell with turkey!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

snip

* Confusion on the part of feral cats.

That's free range cats to us gourmets.

snip
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The young know the rules, the old know
the exceptions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

I just finished the last bowl I made for Thanksgiving last night

hell with turkey!

If you want an argument, change the subject.

As my departed mother often said, "I just never quite get hungry
enough to eat turkey."

I agree with mom.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

I think I mentioned that to my son as we were scraping ice off his
windshield, using his Daffy Duck Hair dryer, that he has had for 18 years,
to melt the ice around the door. It was frozen shut. He has a final at
school this morning and I was out there at 6:30 this morning getting the
process started before he joined me.

The bitch about global warming is that those leading the sheep into this way
of thinking are simply doing it to get rich.

I recall seeing snow in south and south east Texas 5 times in 55 years. It
had snowed significantly 3 times in the last 5 years.

Thanks for think bout us. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
And those Houston folks sent it east, to us here in south LA. Records
show it has never snowed here on Dec 4th, until this evening. �Last
year it snowed on Dec 11th. �The gumbo was perfect, both times.

Whereabouts, cher?

I just finished the last bowl I made for Thanksgiving last night ... to
hell with turkey!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Lafayette.

Broke ice along the banks of Bayou Teche duck hunting as a kid, but I
don't ever recall seeing snow on the ground.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

I think I mentioned that to my son as we were scraping ice off his
windshield, using his Daffy Duck Hair dryer, that he has had for 18
years, to melt the ice around the door. It was frozen shut. He has
a final at school this morning and I was out there at 6:30 this
morning getting the process started before he joined me.

The bitch about global warming is that those leading the sheep into
this way of thinking are simply doing it to get rich.

I recall seeing snow in south and south east Texas 5 times in 55
years. It had snowed significantly 3 times in the last 5 years.

Thanks for think bout us. ;~)

On the other hand in CT I put on my winter riding gloves for the first time
this year last night at 10 PM--my thumb was getting a bit chilly. If this
is global warming KEEP IT UP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 9:14*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

I think I mentioned that to my son as we were scraping ice off his
windshield, using his Daffy Duck Hair dryer, that he has had for 18 years,
to melt the ice around the door. *It was frozen shut. *He has a final at
school this morning and I was out there at 6:30 this morning getting the
process started before he joined me.

The bitch about global warming is that those leading the sheep into this way
of thinking are simply doing it to get rich.

It's the American Way. That is not a slight against 'The Way', but
think about it. IF Global Warming is a problem, wouldn't you be glad
to spend a few billion to fix/solve that problem?
Problem----Solution...somebody gets rich... the American Way.
Phony, made-up problem-----Solution...somebody gets rich...also the
American Way.
Look at the life insurance industry!
Selling a $ ?000.0 casket to a bereaved family? More of the same.

Capitalism at its finest. I'm all for it.
To have somebody die unnecessarily just so I can then have enough
money to put spinners on a Hummer.....not so much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

You left out the frozen, dead, ugly palm trees.

I went throught the Big Freeze of 1982 (1983?) in Houston. There's
NOTHING more ugly than a dead palm tree.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

I think I mentioned that to my son as we were scraping ice off his
windshield, using his Daffy Duck Hair dryer, that he has had for 18 years,

A Daffy Duck hair dryer? I want one of those! 'cept that by the time I get
the thing unraveled, plugged in, and fired up, what little hair I have left
would already be dry... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 08:00:00 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

It's the American Way.

Aw **** this. Why don't we just buy Canuckistan and keep it as a cold
storage pantry until the global warming thing kicks in. Once it's
actually habitable we might be able to make a couple of euros on it.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Ain't this Global Warming A Bitch!?!

I think I mentioned that to my son as we were scraping ice off his
windshield, using his Daffy Duck Hair dryer, that he has had for 18
years,

A Daffy Duck hair dryer? I want one of those! 'cept that by the time I
get the thing unraveled, plugged in, and fired up, what little hair I have
left would already be dry... :-)

3

I wish I had thouft to take pictures. something to show his kids one day.
;~) IIRC he got it for his 4th Christmas.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
news

You left out the frozen, dead, ugly palm trees.

I went throught the Big Freeze of 1982 (1983?) in Houston. There's
NOTHING more ugly than a dead palm tree.

-Zz

Yeah that was a be-och, I was working in an unheated environment.

Then there was the freeze in December of 1989 IIRC. Did not last long but
the temp of "7" F was cold by most standards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 8:14 am, "Leon" wrote:

I recall seeing snow in south and south east Texas 5 times in 55 years. It
had snowed significantly 3 times in the last 5 years.

I think that's about right. The last big snow we had (for us...) was
in '85 or so, and it snowed something like 12". With no snow tires,
no snow equipment for the roads, no snow "stuff" at all, it was a wild
time. I made a lot of money repairing those metal carports that are
favored at apartment complexes as they simply collapsed under the
weight of the snow.

I remember drinking a lot of coffee and watching the delighted
kids make snowmen, throw snowballs, and make snow angels.

I remember how ugly it was when all that thawed out, too.

We can take 6" of water a day without much of a hitch. A string of
105F days is OK, too.

I was so damn thankful that snow missed us. They thought it would
dust us a bit, but unless you were in the extreme north part of the
city you didn't get anything.

However, I am expecting some fun pictures of my nephew playing in snow
in sunny Houston soon. I am SURE he is enjoying the above mentioned
activities to their fullest extent!

Helluva weather year, eh Leon?

We had 61 days over 100 degrees this summer, and another 17 at 100.
Now just 2 1/2 months later, it's snowing! Cheer up though. I think
next week it will be back in the 70s.

Wish I had a pic of you and your trusty Daffy Duck hair dryer at
work..... ;^)

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

snip

* Confusion on the part of feral cats.

That's free range cats to us gourmets.

A few years ago, the National Rifle Association had its annual convention
and trade show in my town. I went.

At the Glock booth, R Lee Ermey was autographing pictures (he was the drill
instructor in Full Metal Jacket "I know what you're thinking maggot. You're
thinking if God had wanted you over this obstacle, He'd have miracled you
over this obstacle" plus the host of the History Channel series "Mail Call"
and other roles).

I stepped up behind him and said: "Lee, you may have heard that a Minnesota
legislator has introduced a bill to allow for an open hunting season on
feral cats. I'm putting together a celebrity cat-call tape for these new
hunters. Would you be willing to say 'Here kitty-kitty' for the project?"

He paused in his autographing. He blinked twice. He turned to face me and
said: "That is the most ****ed-up idea I have EVER heard!"

Oh well.

Good thing I had a day-job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I recall seeing snow in south and south east Texas 5 times in 55
years. It had snowed significantly 3 times in the last 5 years.

[Snow, Houston, December] Seventeen times since 1895. Never in consecutive
years. Until now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 5, 10:26 am, Tom Watson wrote:

It's the American Way.

Aw **** this. Why don't we just buy Canuckistan and keep it as a cold
storage pantry until the global warming thing kicks in. Once it's
actually habitable we might be able to make a couple of euros on it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Well, maybe not as far fetched as you think! The bill is on the
table....

http://tinyurl.com/oey2

However, I don't think we could stand the whining about beer, cheating
at hockey, "real football", and we certainly don't need anyone else
filled with self loathing about being Americans in tears about the
country and how we **** the world over at every opportunity.

Maybe there's a reason we haven't invaded... I'm not sure we want it.

If you watch this you will even see why I don't use a MAC. (I never
knew what it stood for.... ;^ ) ) From a Canadian site:

http://video.canadiancontent.net/199...me-canada.html

I wouldn't vote for it....

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

It's the American Way. That is not a slight against 'The Way', but
think about it. IF Global Warming is a problem, wouldn't you be glad
to spend a few billion to fix/solve that problem?

Global Warming is a myth. Ultimately the government is going to tax me to
once again try to repair something that is not broken.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Global Warming is a myth.

Just curious, what makes you say that?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-12-05 02:50:03 -0500, "Lew Hodgett" said:

As my departed mother often said, "I just never quite get hungry enough
to eat turkey."

I agree with mom.

Mom was a smart woman, obviously.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

It's the American Way. That is not a slight against 'The Way', but
think about it. IF Global Warming is a problem, wouldn't you be glad
to spend a few billion to fix/solve that problem?

Global Warming is a myth. Ultimately the government is going to tax
me to once again try to repair something that is not broken.

If it _is_ a problem, "a few billion" isn't going to fix it anyway. The US
share alone would be at a minimum about thirty trillion dollars if I
remember the numbers I worked out a while back correctly, (and likely much
more). Then there are the wars to pull the plug on all the third world
emitters that refuse to clean up. And some of those third world emitters
are nuclear-armed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:051220091913388196%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

It's the American Way. That is not a slight against 'The Way', but
think about it. IF Global Warming is a problem, wouldn't you be glad
to spend a few billion to fix/solve that problem?

Global Warming is a myth. Ultimately the government is going to tax
me to once again try to repair something that is not broken.

If it _is_ a problem, "a few billion" isn't going to fix it anyway. The
US
share alone would be at a minimum about thirty trillion dollars if I
remember the numbers I worked out a while back correctly, (and likely
much
more). Then there are the wars to pull the plug on all the third world
emitters that refuse to clean up. And some of those third world emitters
are nuclear-armed.

There's all sort of spin being put on the leaked data from the CRU. My
reading is:

-- The scientists involved do not have confidence in the data, and
resorted to software manipulation to make the data fit predictions.

-- The scientists involved deliberately stonewalled publication of
dissenting scientific opinions, to the point of having editors of
science journals removed.

-- At least one of the software engineers tasked with updating the
software used for modelling climate had no faith in the integrity of
the data he was using in the models.

Which does not really matter, as the 'constants' in the model get tweeked to
ensure the outcome matches the expectations.

-- "The dog ate my data." so nobody can go back and re-run the models
in any event.

This is all irrelevant to whether or not the climate is changing (hint,
it is).

Then, now, and ever shall be, change without end. And all creatures great
and small contribute. Cattle more than most.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

I lurk in a lot of newsgroups but I've never seen so much downright ignorance
re global warming as there is in this one.
Hint - it is NOTHING to do with the weather in your neck of the woods.
Have at it!
Posted to rec.woodworking

m...
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

Clue: I did academic climate research for three years in the late 1970s. I
suspect I know more than most.

Posted to rec.woodworking

in 124730 20091206 112452 "LDosser" wrote:
om...
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

My post wasn't particularly addressed to you, I replied to the latest post in the thread,
so I'm sorry if I misrepresented you.

However, to those maintaining that global warming is a myth, please read
http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-re...4-wg1-faqs.pdf
and come back with your informed rebuttals.
"It's all lies" and "it's a scam" is just not good enough.
BTW : almost everything that's been said about the CRU in the media is wrong.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8397265.stm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

in 124730 20091206 112452 "LDosser" wrote:
. com...
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

The whole global warming scare is BS. It's climate change if anything due to
weather cycles. And just what would the world community do if the earth
decided it was time for an Ice Age? Nothing! What would these so called
expert scientist paid by political activist suggest we do then? Nothing.

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

in 124730 20091206 112452 "LDosser" wrote:
m...
wrote:

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

With all due respect to L Dosser, an xbox outperforms the fastest computer
in the world in the late '70s, and the kinds of models on which the
politicoclimatologists are basing their claims simply could not be run then.
The question is whether their models are showing something real or showing
garbage-in/garbage-out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob Martin wrote:

However, to those maintaining that global warming is a myth, please read
http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-re...4-wg1-faqs.pdf
and come back with your informed rebuttals.
"It's all lies" and "it's a scam" is just not good enough.
BTW : almost everything that's been said about the CRU in the media is wrong.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8397265.stm

As long as you're throwing internet/media **** on the wall, the
following report, and its burying because it did not fit in with the
current political agenda, is neither ... and irrefutable evidence that
you are being misguided:

http://cei.org/cei_files/fm/active/0/DOC062509-004.pdf
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10274412-38.html

This is the actual report, not media supposition, and what happened to
it is undeniable fact, not the result of agenda driven media "spin".

This entire issue is simply too rife with examples of same for it to be
viewed as pure innocence personified, which you seem to be doing.

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, anyone, government or
otherwise, advocating basing action on computer climate modeling done
with even the suspicion of tainted data is being irresponsible ... GIGO
is an irrefutable, _scientific_ fact, which can't be spun to suit any
agenda.

Nice try ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote:

Global Warming is a myth.

Just curious, what makes you say that?

Being able to look at the world through my own eyes and interpret what I am
seeing rather than being told what I am seeing.

I do not dispute that some places are getting warmer, at least for this
period of time but there are other places that are getting colder. Take the
South Pole for instance, its ice has been growing for years.

I totally believe that those that believe in global warming "trend", don't
have enough data to make a proper assessment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:051220091913388196%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
Snip

This is all irrelevant to whether or not the climate is changing (hint,
it is).

And climate change is not the issue. We are talking global warming. Whe
have climate change seasonally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is all irrelevant to whether or not the climate is changing (hint,
it is).

And climate change is not the issue. We are talking global warming. Whe
have climate change seasonally.

That was my point. Global warming is not happening, and the leaked
documents (not just the email) from the CRU demonstrate that the
"scientists" screaming that the earth is warming KNOW that it's not
happening.

Some of these same "scientists" were screaming that we were going to
enter an ice age, back in the 1970s.

This is a classic "follow the money" scenario.

Sorry Dave, I misunderstood you comments. I apologize. Totally agree with
your last comment about the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Leon
wrote:

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:051220091913388196%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
Snip

This is all irrelevant to whether or not the climate is changing (hint,
it is).

And climate change is not the issue. We are talking global warming. Whe
have climate change seasonally.

That was my point. Global warming is not happening, and the leaked
documents (not just the email) from the CRU demonstrate that the
"scientists" screaming that the earth is warming KNOW that it's not
happening.

Some of these same "scientists" were screaming that we were going to
enter an ice age, back in the 1970s.

This is a classic "follow the money" scenario.

Not to mention that neither politics, nor religion, have any place
whatsoever in true scientific endeavor ... and this 'man made global
warming movement', and the oligarchical proposed remedy, has more than a
tinge of religiosity to it.

I've not made my own mind up either way, but I simply hate being
manipulated!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:59:33 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote:

Global Warming is a myth.

Just curious, what makes you say that?

Let's put it this way: Anthropogenic Global Warming(kumbaya), as
warned about by the alarmists, is a myth. Most of us realize that the
Earth is coming out of an ice age and has been slowly warming, but not
at anywhere _near_ the rate the alarmists spew.

Lew, see if your local library has a copy of Peter Huber's _Hard
Green_. It will likely give you a fresh perspective on what we humans
deem important and how the "Green" movement is affecting us, both
positively and negatively. It's an important book and I hope you do
read it.

I've been on the environmental bandwagon for nearly 40 years, but I no
longer call myself an environmentalist because of what the movement
hath wrought. I think ecoterrorists may outnumber the greenies now.
sigh

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I've been on the environmental bandwagon for nearly 40 years, but I no
longer call myself an environmentalist because of what the movement
hath wrought. I think ecoterrorists may outnumber the greenies now.
sigh

As a home builder with a recent, alternative construction, "green"
project under my belt, I can guarantee you that more waste hit the land
fills due to its "green" nature then in any two of my usual traditional
construction projects.

..... still marveling at the sheer, unconscious ignorance of many of the
misguided folks who have embraced this "movement" ... all warm, fuzzy,
self congratulatory, and without a clue!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

I may as well jump into this discussion, also. I'm not knowledgeable
with facts, so lets speculate some more. How will the world end?
http://www.endofworld.net/

Sonny