Mark

Default Any tools still made in the USA?

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Good idea in theory. Let's say you spark a good idea and all of us stop
buying new today. Only used from the local papers so we keep the money in
our community.

I didn't imply that we "all" not buy new.

Hell, No! SOMEBODY'S got to buy the stuff new so we can buy it used.

I certainly don't want anyone but me buying used equipment. At least not
in my area.

Most likely, the local Woodworkers Warehouse stores will close. As will the
Woodcraft chain. They people at the Grizzly warehouse will be collecting
unemployment, standing in line with the guys from Jet, Delta, and a half
dozen importers.

I think you'd be surprised. The scenario you lay out would
involve a lot of people unable to adapt and as hooman beans
we do have that certain God given thinking capacity allotted
to survival.

The scenario laid out implies:

1) Warehouses sell only equipment and tools, not hardware, wood and
other supplies, and

2) There will be enough used equipment available to satisfy need. From
my experience at auctions I think this will not be the case.

Hey man, don't bogart that thing, give the rest of us a
poke, won't you?

I don't know, for such thinking I think it would take more than a mild
hallucinogenic.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Silvan

J&KCopeland wrote:

To be only somewhat facetious, this opera isn't over and the fat lady
hasn't even appeared on stage yet.

All interesting theories. Personally, I don't think we'll be seing a 19th
century model unless civilization collapses completely. I think in the
near term (my lifetime) the more likely outcome is that we will develop
hydrogen as a practical, safe fuel source. The only reason we're not using
fossil fuel alternatives right now is because we're just not motivated to
make them work.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

How old is it, and how heavy is it? Mine is one of the originals, made in
the U.S., and my wife's is one I can't used it's so light (about 1/3 the

I got mine in '91 I think. It was hella expensive, but worth every penny.
Probably the only time I will *ever* say that about a M$ product.

I wouldn't characterize it as being "heavy" though. It's pretty much a
featherweight compared to my old keyboard. *That* one still works too, and
has all mechanical switches, but I can't use a straight keyboard anymore.
My wrists scream bloody murder after about five minutes.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

The solution seems to have already been decided upon: tax the crap out of
property owners.

Man, you got that right. It's amazing how my $75,000 house turned into a
$140,000 house overnight.

If I had known that was coming, I would have been a hell of a lot less
friendly toward the tax assessor.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

I'll let some goofball pay retail and let them take the hit of decrease
of value by simple virtue of taking possession.

Not to mention motor vehicles. G

They're not even worth what they're going for used. $5,000 for a freaking
car? My $850 special from 14 years ago still runs.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer driving it.

I *am* driving my $3,600 special from 12 years ago though. It's got
99,100-something miles on the odo. Needs to last me two more years. Just
two more years.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Michael Daly

On 15-Nov-2003, Unisaw A100 wrote:

We all know that money stays here, I
mean, we have the oil reserves to last us well into the ends
of our lifetimes.

Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?

Mike
Dave Balderstone

In article
le.rogers.com,
Michael Daly wrote:

Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?

The USA imports as much energy from us (Canada) as from the middle east.

Self sufficient Uncle Sam ain't...

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Andrew Barss

Mark & Juanita wrote:

: Funny thing is, the same people who are trying to kill SUV's are
: responsible for the rise of the SUV and the death of the station wagon.
: Station wagons died because the car mfg's couldn't meet average fleet
: mileage standards if they kept station wagons in their product
: offerings.

The car mfgs are exploiting a loophole in the law, under
which SUVs are classified as farm vehicles, and thus not
subject to the safety and mileage regulations cars are under.

How exactly is this the result of "the same
people" doing anything?

:However, people still had things they needed to haul that
: required more than an econobox.

Unh huh. That explains all the single-rider
SUVs we see on Tucson's roads. Hauling a coupla bags
of groceries home from Safeway.

The idea that most SUVs are used mostly for hauling
heavy loads is a sad little fantasy.

-- Andy Barss

Silvan

Michael Daly wrote:

We all know that money stays here, I
mean, we have the oil reserves to last us well into the ends
of our lifetimes.

Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?

As soon as we burn up everybody else's oil in our SUVs and then have to
be.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:05:25 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

J&KCopeland wrote:

To be only somewhat facetious, this opera isn't over and the fat lady
hasn't even appeared on stage yet.

All interesting theories. Personally, I don't think we'll be seing a 19th
century model unless civilization collapses completely. I think in the
near term (my lifetime) the more likely outcome is that we will develop
hydrogen as a practical, safe fuel source. The only reason we're not using
fossil fuel alternatives right now is because we're just not motivated to
make them work.

Another problem with hydrogen is that too many companies want
to make it from, yup, you guessed it: Natural Gas!

I was shocked in CA when, during the electric crisis, they all
wanted to build all these natural gas fired generators. This
during the time that there was an EXISTING pipeline crunch (and
ongoing investigation) from, you guessed it: Texas.

Who ARE these tanjing idiots?

* OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
* meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
* "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com

Mark

Larry Jaques wrote:

I was shocked in CA when, during the electric crisis, they all
wanted to build all these natural gas fired generators. This
during the time that there was an EXISTING pipeline crunch (and
ongoing investigation) from, you guessed it: Texas.

Who ARE these tanjing idiots?

Probably elected oficials.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Unisaw A100

Michael Daly wrote:
Since when is USA self sufficient in oil?

I kinda thought that might throw off a person or two.

I t w a s a j o k e .

Funny. When you start rattling the Buy USA saber, no one
mentions oil.

UA100
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Who ARE these tanjing idiots?

Politicians... Gotta love'em.

I've been even more cynical than ever since a few years ago when we had a
tree planting event. The town mayor graced us with his presence. Got his
picture taken sticking a shovel into the ground surrounded by little kids.
Then he handed the shovel to one of the little kids and walked away. The
newspaper read like our munificent mayor was a veritable tree planting
machine, but his hands never actually touched dirt. My heart toward
poly-ticks shrunk four sizes that day.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Charlie Self

Silvan writes:

Then he handed the shovel to one of the little kids and walked away. The
newspaper read like our munificent mayor was a veritable tree planting
machine, but his hands never actually touched dirt. My heart toward
poly-ticks shrunk four sizes that day.

You'e getting there. As time goes by--could write a song with that title, I
bet--your heart towards poly-ticksians will become the size of a grape seed and
as hard as granite.

Charlie Self
"I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use
our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Mark & Juanita

In article ,
says...
Mark & Juanita wrote:

: Funny thing is, the same people who are trying to kill SUV's are
: responsible for the rise of the SUV and the death of the station wagon.
: Station wagons died because the car mfg's couldn't meet average fleet
: mileage standards if they kept station wagons in their product
: offerings.

The car mfgs are exploiting a loophole in the law, under
which SUVs are classified as farm vehicles, and thus not
subject to the safety and mileage regulations cars are under.

How exactly is this the result of "the same
people" doing anything?

Those "same people" were the ones who pushed so hard for the
imposition of mileage standards across all elements of car
manufacturers' product lines. The fact there was a loophole provided a
means for people to actually get what they wanted (I know, that's a
foreign and detestable concept to most statists), thus the growth of the
SUV's popularity. Had the CAFE standards not been so draconian, the
station wagon would have survived as a viable and popular product
offering, the SUV would never have become so popular -- law of
unintended consequences.

:However, people still had things they needed to haul that
: required more than an econobox.

Unh huh. That explains all the single-rider
SUVs we see on Tucson's roads. Hauling a coupla bags
of groceries home from Safeway.

... and you see each and every use to which those people put those
SUV's. The fact they may be hauling a few bags of groceries when you
see them doesn't mean they aren't hauling a car load of kids and soccer
equipment some other time. Most folks don't buy a car for every task,
but pick the one that fits the total of all tasks to which they intend
to put it. But then, you knew that.

The idea that most SUVs are used mostly for hauling
heavy loads is a sad little fantasy.

-- Andy Barss

funny... I turned my natural keyboard over, and "Made in Mexico"

How old is it, and how heavy is it? Mine is one of the originals, made in the
U.S., and my wife's is one I can't used it's so light (about 1/3 the weight of
this monster). Dunno where it was made, but it's only 2-3 years old, so
probably elsewhere.

I bought it in '97, so it's still the original design. They probably
moved production down there sometime in the 90's.

I got mine in '91 I think. It was hella expensive, but worth every penny.
Probably the only time I will *ever* say that about a M$ product.

I have too many problems with their software. But for hardware
(keyboards, mice, ...) MS has a good reputation.
Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

You'e getting there. As time goes by--could write a song with that title,
I bet--your heart towards poly-ticksians will become the size of a grape
seed and as hard as granite.

It's already smaller than that. I wouldn't even use one for a push stick.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Brian Henderson

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:24:53 GMT, (D) wrote:

funny... I turned my natural keyboard over, and "Made in Mexico"

My Logitech is made in Thailand.
Phisherman

My pack of Duracell AAA batteries says "Made in the USA or China."

Renata

Have you tried their Trackball Explorer, perchance? I think it tries
to phone home once an hour and gets annoyed when it can't get out (and
that's only one of it's "issues").

I'm partially to the ole made in the USA IBM keyboards.

Renata

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:01:17 GMT, (D) wrote:

I have too many problems with their software. But for hardware
(keyboards, mice, ...) MS has a good reputation.

John

Blame the Unions!!

Years ago when there was not much government regulations, companies
could do and treat people anyway they wanted. Unions then helped
people.

Education, regulations, and the workplace has gotten 10x better and
safer. Now companies spend billions either paying extra $$'s because
of unions, or spending the money keeping a union out.

I have worked across the US in manufacturing and have found the
quality of union work to be worse than non-union work. Union workers
are not motivated like non union workers are.

I have worked union and non-union contractors on the same job and the
nonunion contractor does equal or better work and is much more
flexible.

Why an educated worker needs someone to represent them, I don't know
or understand.

What I do know is that companies closing their doors and moving their
operations to Mexico or China, are mostly union based companies.

In my own company we have union and non union plants. Those plants
that are non union are consistently more productive, efficient, have
less waste, and are more engaged than the union plants.

Unions are a real waste to our economy.

If you are in a union, ask yourself why it is that you need someone to
represent you and when your company moves operations to the south,
Mexico, or China, how much you got in that last strike helped that
company make that decision.

On 10 Nov 2003 14:43:49 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Is any woodworking maachinery for the hobbyist still made in the USA?

I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw. Delta makes them in the USA, but the
current models don't have a great reputation. Powermatic is making a real
nice 14" bandsaw, but in Taiwan. I would rather see jobs stay in the USA
and pay a bit more for my tools.

Many other types of stationary tools simply aren't made in the USA unless
you want to buy high end models for thousands of dollars.

I was just at Home Depot a few days ago buying tools in the hand tool
promotion. I only bought stuff made in the USA. I may have paid a bit
more, but someone might have a job for another day now. I was going to
buying a socket set, but Husky tools are all made in Taiwan now so those
stayed on the shelf.

Brian Elfert

Jon Dough

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:52:30 +0000, John wrote:

Blame the Unions!!

Years ago when there was not much government regulations, companies
could do and treat people anyway they wanted. Unions then helped
people.

Obviously this is a person who has never looked beyond the end of his nose
toward politics, human rights, nor the good of workers and communities. I
have a union job. It pays much better than the last nonunion job I had. I
have good health insurance, a retirement plan, and can take a couple of
weeks per year to spend time with my family on a vacation. Many companys
have unions because, in the past, the company DID treat people any way
they wanted and could do anything they wanted. You readily admit that
unions have helped people in the past. Unions are still helping people,
more than ever before.

Jon Dough

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:17:34 +0000, JAW wrote:

Did anyone answer Brian's original question without going into a
union/non-union tirade ?

Thanks !
Jerry

After getting involved in the union side of this issue I think I should
answer this one also.
Yes, there are many tools still made in the good ole USA.
For hand tools, the first that comes to mind is SnapOn. They are high
priced but top notch for quality and service. For the mechanics that do
not need the SnapOn experience Craftsman brand hand tools are also made in
USA.
As for power tools, several companies that come to mind are Delta, Dewalt,
Porter Cable and Powermatic. While they also have manufacturing plants in
other countries (as well they should because they market to other
countries too) their top of the line tools sold in the USA are made in the
USA. I even saw Hobart welders (made in USA) on the shelf at Harbor
Freight the other day.
There are many good tools to choose from. When I need something for a
weekend project any tool that gets the job done is fine. But for my job I
need tools I can depend on. I want something that is good quality, built
here and serviced here by technicians who have parts readily available. I
definitely look for the Made in USA label.
Jon Dough

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:17:34 +0000, JAW wrote:

Did anyone answer Brian's original question without going into a
union/non-union tirade ?

Thanks !
Jerry

Of course the easy way is to check www.buyamerican.com!

Unisaw A100

I blame the children in China. I mean, can't they get a
real job like doing out gardening, making our fast food,
picking our grapes?

UA100

John Carlson

Interesting. According to them, Porter-Cable and Makita (among
others) make tools in America.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:48:07 -0600, Jon Dough wrote:

Of course the easy way is to check www.buyamerican.com!

-- jc
Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection.
To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net
Charlie Self

John Carlson writes:

Interesting. According to them, Porter-Cable and Makita (among
others) make tools in America.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:48:07 -0600, Jon Dough wrote:

Of course the easy way is to check www.buyamerican.com!

Porter-Cable probably still does some here. Makita has long made small tools,
especially cordless, in, IIRC, a SC plant. (Might have been in Georgia--that
was a second year of tool company tours and some of them got scrambled in my
mind.) Toured it once a number of years ago. Impressive facility. At that time,
DeWalt was running an almost as impressive line in Towson, MD. That went
offshore, along with 1100 or more jobs.

Lots of changes in the industry in the past 5 years, with more and more
companies offering tools, with the tools being more and more alike, especially
at the cheap end of the scale, and almost all low end to middle range, and some
high range, tools now being manufactured elsewhere.

The jump in profit margins must be enormous because in many cases, prices are
maintained while production costs are cut by 50% or more.

Charlie Self
"Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Bob Haar

On 2004/1/6 12:09 PM, "John Carlson" wrote:

Interesting. According to them, Porter-Cable and Makita (among
others) make tools in America.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:48:07 -0600, Jon Dough wrote:

Of course the easy way is to check www.buyamerican.com!

In the area of manufactured goods, it is almost impossible to talk
meaningfully about a "American company" or "made in America" products. Many
of the companies that have been traditionally based in the US have become
multi-nationals with global operations, often manufacturing the same or
similar products in a number of countries. For years, it was common for
Asian car companies to import vehicles without back seats so that they would
be taxed at the lower truck rates, then bolt in a back seat and sell it as a
car. Consumer electronics devices might have all the electronic portions
built outside the US then inserted into cases to be sold here.

This whole discussion is quite meaningless. What we should do is be informed
consumers and look for quality and value in whatever we buy, no matter whot
he manufacturer is or whether the company is based in the US or not.

Renata

I wholeheartedly agree. Buy the best quality and it's up to the
company, American or other, to earn that reputation. Buying American
striclty 'cause it's American allows the company to get lazy and
depend on blind loyalty rather than having a good product.

However, when a company has established a (good) reputation and then
moves production to an el cheapo place, (and deoesn't even drop
prices), what happens to the quality (and soon thereafter, reputation)
of that compnay?

I mean Delta is a great example. Why on earth would I buy a new DJ20
jointer now - it's made in Taiwan. Is the price lower - no. Is the
quality questionable - in my mind, yes.

Renata

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:32:04 -0500, Bob Haar
wrote:
--snip--

This whole discussion is quite meaningless. What we should do is be informed
consumers and look for quality and value in whatever we buy, no matter whot
he manufacturer is or whether the company is based in the US or not.

Pat Barber

Where did you think the tool was made prior to Taiwan ???

PS:

It was never made here.

Renata wrote:

I mean Delta is a great example. Why on earth would I buy a new DJ20
jointer now - it's made in Taiwan. Is the price lower - no. Is the
quality questionable - in my mind, yes.

Renata

Bay Area Dave

Because it's Delta or because it's made in Taiwan? g

dave

Renata wrote:

I mean Delta is a great example. Why on earth would I buy a new DJ20
jointer now - it's made in Taiwan. Is the quality questionable - in my mind, yes.

Renata

John Carlson

Well, I don't consider it meaningless.

When it's feasible, I will choose to reward a company that keeps jobs
in the US and puts dollars in the pockets of American workers over one
that lays off Americans and exports the jobs to China or wherever to
save a buck (and probably put that buck into the CEO's pocket).

This doesn't mean I'll but a crappy product just because it bears a
Made in America label. But it does mean that I'll try to avoid buying
a foreign-made product just because it's a few dollars cheaper. Now
that I know PC and Makita (both of whom have good reputations for
quality) make their tools in America, I'll tend to favor them over,
say, DeWalt who doesn't. If that means I pay a few dollars more, I
for one am willing to do that.

wrote:

This whole discussion is quite meaningless. What we should do is be informed
consumers and look for quality and value in whatever we buy, no matter whot
he manufacturer is or whether the company is based in the US or not.

-- jc
Published e-mail is strictly for spam collection.
To e-mail me, use jc631 at optonline dot net
Renata

Where? (Canada counts as 'murica).

Renata