Bray Haven

Default Why do you buy Snap-on tools?

My opinion is that most Snap-On tools are not worth what that little
truck charges you for them. The whole program seems to be built around
the idea of providing DECENT tools for the trade on credit. As far as
breaking tools go, you can break an anvil if you don't know what the
hell you are doing... If you love Snap-On fine but, there are other
fine tool companies out there.

Gotta agree with you here, Edward. In fact I think their whole marketing
scheme is based on a fallacy that they are somehow better than anything else.
It's a "King's New Clothes" mentality. I learned long ago that the "Snap-On
King" was butt nekked ). I was a mechanic & service manager for many years
and a marine dealer as well. Our tools were our bread & butter. SO are fine
tools but no better, IMO, than Kobalt (& many other major brands) and you can
get a set of Kobalt comb. wrenches for the price of one SO. I've never broken
one and often use BIG cheaters on them G. Some of the Craftsman tools are
also excellent. I think the older stainless ratchet was/is the best one I've
ever used (discontinued). I have tools I was using in the 60's that are still
going strong and will be long after I'm gone. Buy & use whatever you like but
don't try to convince me they are better just because they cost 6-8 times as
much ). Sometimes you get what you pay for... and sometimes you don't g
Greg Sefton

Del Rawlins

On 07 Nov 2003 04:03 PM, Neil Nelson posted the following:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

We obviously aren't using the same Mac and Craftsman tools. Never used
Matco so I can't say about them.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Neil Nelson

In article ,
Del Rawlins wrote:

On 07 Nov 2003 04:03 PM, Neil Nelson posted the following:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

We obviously aren't using the same Mac and Craftsman tools.

Not unless you're sneaking into my shop when I'm not looking...

Never used Matco so I can't say about them.

As I posted earlier, my first experience with them was somewhat
less than impressive.
Del Rawlins

On 08 Nov 2003 08:04 PM, C. E. White posted the following:

Neil Nelson wrote:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

I was told by a former Coast Guard plane chief that chrome plated
tools were not allowed - Is this true? He also said all the tools were
kept by a crib and checked out. If they weren't all checked in, the
plane didn't fly till they accounted for it.

A buddy of mine was a parachute rigger in the air national guard and he
mentioned the tool inventory thing to me once. Never heard the one
about chrome plated tools.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Erik

Neil Nelson wrote:

The most obvious trait to me is how easily the chrome plating
chips/peels from the cheap brand tools (Craftsman, Matco, Mac),
not what I'd want floating around inside the engine of the next
airliner I get on. :-(

I was told by a former Coast Guard plane chief that chrome plated
tools were not allowed - Is this true? He also said all the tools were
kept by a crib and checked out. If they weren't all checked in, the
plane didn't fly till they accounted for it.

A buddy of mine was a parachute rigger in the air national guard and he
mentioned the tool inventory thing to me once. Never heard the one
about chrome plated tools.

Seems like I've heard of most tool manufactures going through plating,
brittle and/or whatever spells from time to time. Even the great Snap On
had a bad plating problem for a while...

Snap On makes most of their line in black oxide finish too... pretty
much the same thing, but cheaper, and slightly less apt to 'walk off'
from various shops that supply tools. I've heard a Snap On industrial
rep tell buyers to shut up technicians moaning over not getting chrome
tools by using the plating contamination 'line'.

You have to be careful to keep a coat of oil on the black oxides... and
they're a little easier to misplace because of the dark color... but are
otherwise the same.

Erik

GJRepesh

I bought my first set of Craftsman tools in the 70's and continued buying them.
I have busted one socket. I have more problems with smaller tooling like
punches. I'm always bending these. I have had problems with their torque
wrenches also. What torque wrenches do you guys like?

Gary Repesh
Dave Young

I'm active duty Coast Guard and although I'm not an "airedale", I've
flown with them in the past. I've never heard of the chrome plating
issue, but when they worked on the C-130's they had tool chests that
used the foam cutouts for their ALL the tools they carried in the chest.
Like what was mentioned earlier, if a tool was missing, the aircraft
didn't fly until they found it.

On a side bar, back then one of our (non-airedale) bitches against the
airdales was they could obtain Snap-On and Craftsman tools, and we had
to only buy real junk as the good stuff wasn't available to us. If we
tried to order Snap-On or Craftsman, the order would be canceled or a
junk tool brand would be substituted. I'm talking discount store
quality tools here. Since then the system has caught up with the times
and we now can order what we want.

Dave Young

Brian

Snap-on torque wrenches and timing lights - all I'll use. Interestingly (or
perhaps not) that's the extent of my Snap-on collection. My tools go the
race track, and Snap-on goes walkabout there, guaranteed. I was buying
Husky, but they seem to have changed recently. Perhaps if I worked in an
environment where I broke sockets or wrenches, which I don't, I might have a
different opinion. Maybe I just don't abuse tools like some people do? I
have to admit that my friends Snap-on 1/4" drive stuff is a lot nicer than
mine.

Brian

"GJRepesh" wrote in message
I bought my first set of Craftsman tools in the 70's and continued buying

them.
I have busted one socket. I have more problems with smaller tooling like
punches. I'm always bending these. I have had problems with their torque
wrenches also. What torque wrenches do you guys like?

Gary Repesh

Self-Reproducing Machine Tools Doug Goncz Metalworking 17 July 13th 17 06:57 AM
Capacitors on induction motor tools mike UK diy 5 May 13th 04 09:22 AM
Why 110v power tools? Parish UK diy 63 March 26th 04 11:12 PM
Best bargain in hand tools? The Hurdy Gurdy Man Metalworking 18 October 12th 03 08:06 PM
Old tools and machines Tom Gardner Metalworking 4 August 5th 03 07:12 AM