Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial
machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't seem
like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone has
already solved the problem...

Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial
machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't seem
like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone has
already solved the problem...

Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

Find a picture of a scissor table and copy it. Occasionally one can
find them on eBay for not too much.

A used pallet mover isn't all that expensive if you keep looking...

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Deere has pallet attachments for many of their tractor loaders?
Do you own a tractor with a loader? I made a hay mover for my loader.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:33:02 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial
machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't seem
like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone has
already solved the problem...

Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial
machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't seem
like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone has
already solved the problem...

Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

This would be ideal if it was in your price range .. .. ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-JOE-3000-LB-...QQcmdZViewItem
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

Something like this?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Id=7 87&R=787
("High lifting pallet truck")
I assume larger wheels could be installed if the stock ones are too
small for use outside.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 2:02 pm, Andy wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but google/ebay have turned up a few more,
i.e.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Hydraulic-Pa...QQcmdZViewItem
(eBay item 290129467919, pallet stacker)
"pallet stacker" and "high lift pallet truck" seem to be productive
search terms...
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am wondering if anyone caught the original header of "Plans for a
WOODEN forklift or pallet lifter/pallet mover"

Note the stress on WOODEN. I am thinking that the industrious Mr.
Dovey is looking for something he can build.

That would seem evident in asking for plans (the first word in the
header).

Just a thought...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Note the stress on WOODEN. I am thinking that the industrious Mr.
Dovey is looking for something he can build.

True; I have to admit I missed the subject line. But he also asked
for photos - before I design/build something, I like to try to find
pictures of as many different types of items like that as I can.
Thanks for paying attention and putting us back on the intended track,
but hopefully some of the ideas/pictures/search terms above might
still be helpful.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 1:32 pm, Andy wrote:

Thanks for paying attention and putting us back on the intended track, but hopefully some of the ideas/pictures/search terms above might
still be helpful.
Andy

No doubt they would be. That wasn't really pointed at you, but the
group sometimes (I include myself in that number) from ADD and cannot
stay on task for more than a couple of posts. Those grinding SawStop
threads (last one still wheezing along) are perfect examples.

To me, finding a lift like you did at Northern would erase any ideas I
entertained about building one. At less than $500, I cannot imagine
the expenditure of time and money would be needed in wood and hardware
to make a suitable platform and then attach a lifting device. It
doesn't sound like an evening project to me. Time being what it is
these days, $ 469 looks like a bargain.

BTW, I saw nothing of shop built wood constructed lifting devices when
I looked.

Just my 0.02.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 11:33am (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey)
whoe middle name is Scrooge says:
I'm looking snip to avoid paying for lift gate services. snip
Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

Not seen any plans for lifting AND moving, but several thoughts
immediately spring to mind. Depending on exactly how cheap you actually
are.

Brbe a few teenagers to lift, carry, load, whatever. If they're
employees you can threaten firing if they don't cooperate.

Engine hoist. They've got wheels, albet rather small, and you'd be
best off with a smoth surface to allow relatvely as using. Not sure if
they'd lift high enough.

Make a roling hoist, use a come-along or chain hoist. Put it on
weels.

Make a fork lift. Use a garden tractor, use a hand crank, or a
chain hoist, to lift it. Shouldn't be a biggie.

ff you've got a peekop truck, get one ofthose bed hoists. Should
run around $100. Lift whatever up, back the peekop so the load is in,
viola.

Getch 'cha a big ramp, and push the load up the ramp. You coudd
even make something to jack each corner up a few inches, and hook a
wheel, or large casters, on each corner.

Make a large dirt ramp, make a few dozen wood rollers, get a whip,
get a crew of a dozen or so Egyptians. Or, get the same, without the
Egyptians, get a camera (working or no), get a dozen or so people who
want to be in a movie, tell them you're making a move, charge them for
acting guild fees. You get the work done, you make a profit, life is
good.

That's the best I can come up with without thinking.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 6:32pm (EDT+4) (Andy) doth
sayeth:
True; I have to admit I missed the subject line. snip

I didn't miss it, I just ignored it.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

***********************

We can always count on JOAT for a sensible solution. In the midth of the
above suggestions are a couple that are close to what I have seen done.

I have seen a hand crank fork lift that rolled around. I would think if you
looked around some industrial sites, they would have something like this.
Just steal the design and build you own.

The earthen ramp and loading dock is what my dad had us build on the farm.
It works good if you have some cheap labor.

The wood ramp (and platform) built from some two by materials is something
that I have built and used. Maybe install an electric winch on it. Bring
the winch out when you are going to use it to keep it out of the weather.

PS: I have had to buy/build some lifting type things for 55 gallon drums.
Some of that stuff is quite clever. You may look at some of that stuff for
some ideas that could be adapted to what you are doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
I followed all the links and looked at the pix - and also found an
actual propane-fueled fork lift on E-Bay. It's over in Davenport and
has been bid up to $380. My next door shop neighbor has an old Bendix
that I may be able to buy for about $300, but both of these take up a
bit more space than I'm ready to give up (yet).

Cheap enough for a forklift. The capacity is much more than most thing
you'd build from wood. There are some small trucks too but finding one
cheap is another story. Remember, getting that 300 pound pallet onto the
truck will require some reach and counterbalance

How about used equipment dealers? I've bought a couple of manual lifts for
a couple of hundred bucks. .

Once you get that forklift, you'll be amazed at how handy it can be. With a
platform it is good for high work if it is double or triple mast. .

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:02:23 -0700, Andy wrote:

I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let me
set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying for
lift gate services.

Something like this?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Id=7 87&R=787
("High lifting pallet truck")
I assume larger wheels could be installed if the stock ones are too
small for use outside.
Andy

Or you could consider adding to the garage and getting a $1500 fork
lift ;-)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/354912071.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
| I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
| 250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let
| me set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying
| for lift gate services.
|
| I can't find anything on Google except wooden toys and commercial
| machinery. I started working on a plan last night, and it doesn't
| seem like it should be all that difficult to build - surely someone
| has already solved the problem...
|
| Has anyone done or seen anything like this?

Thanks, all, for your input. I think I'm going to try building
something like the drawing posted to abpw.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:
| I'm looking for a plan or photos of a device that'll let me lift a
| 250-300# pallet from the floor, can be pushed outside, and will let
| me set the pallet in a semi trailer. The object is to avoid paying
| for lift gate services.

Thanks, all, for your input. I think I'm going to try building
something like the drawing posted to abpw.

Morris, one other note -- occasionally you can find forklift mast
assemblies at near giveaway prices. I found one for the grand sum of
$25 for the trouble of them loading it on the truck. Double-mast,
10k-lb w/ hydraulics but w/o the forks. I used it to build a freight
elevator to the barn loft.

If you can afford to watch and wait, such an item could be the basis for
the lift and you could deal w/ the pallet mover separately.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Morris, one other note -- occasionally you can find forklift mast
assemblies at near giveaway prices.

There are outfits that just part out old fork lifts.

Check with the local fork lift dealers.

They will know how to find them.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
| Morris, one other note -- occasionally you can find forklift mast
| assemblies at near giveaway prices.
|
| There are outfits that just part out old fork lifts.
|
| Check with the local fork lift dealers.
|
| They will know how to find them.
|
| Lew

I've found a couple of low-dollar forklifts. I figure there are a lot
of the things around, and that they're all busily aging. In the short
term, all I need to be able to do is hoist a 100-300 lb (maximum)
shop-built pallet onto the back end of a semi trailer. The fork can
will wait until I have a real need. There are other things I need to
spend for first.

I'll touch base with local used equipment dealers and see if I can
find a fork lift "chop shop" in the area. I won't hurt to let people
know that I'm interested...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Morris Dovey wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
| Morris, one other note -- occasionally you can find forklift mast
| assemblies at near giveaway prices.
|
| There are outfits that just part out old fork lifts.
|
| Check with the local fork lift dealers.
|
| They will know how to find them.
|
| Lew

I've found a couple of low-dollar forklifts. I figure there are a lot
of the things around, and that they're all busily aging. In the short
term, all I need to be able to do is hoist a 100-300 lb (maximum)
shop-built pallet onto the back end of a semi trailer. The fork can
will wait until I have a real need. There are other things I need to
spend for first.

I'll touch base with local used equipment dealers and see if I can
find a fork lift "chop shop" in the area. I won't hurt to let people
know that I'm interested...

That's the ticket...if you know a few of the local distributors they're
usually pretty good at "keeping an eye out" if they know what you're
looking for and what your budget is...

Are you able to pick these pallets up w/ a sling? If so, an overhead
rail w/ just a block and tackle or manual chain hoist is pretty cheap
(and more importantly, perhaps, quite simple to erect as opposed to
trying to cobble up a homebuilt lift or scissor table). I'd think it
well worth the investment to buy an inexpensive pallet mover, though.

Although another thought just comes to mind -- what about making the
pallets to have a removable axle/wheels -- a la the idea of the movable
saw/planer table? All it takes is a notch to hold the fixed end and a
hole for a handle and dolly on the other end--the turning end probably
only needs one wheel so you have a tripod arrangement...A lever under
the pallet lets you raise it to remove them when you're at the
destination. Most if not all drivers have a pallet mover onboard to get
stuff _to_ the tailgate so all you really need is to be able to wheel it
where you can lift it up, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Are you able to pick these pallets up w/ a sling? If so, an overhead
rail w/ just a block and tackle or manual chain hoist is pretty cheap
(and more importantly, perhaps, quite simple to erect as opposed to
trying to cobble up a homebuilt lift or scissor table). I'd think it
well worth the investment to buy an inexpensive pallet mover, though.

As mentioned, a trailer with a lift gate and a driver with a pallet
mover and you are in business.

After sending last post, the idea of a manual chain fall or an
electric hoist hit me.

Add an overhead rail and you are done.

Certainly the lowest cost, fastest way to solve the problem, if the
trucking company shows up not prepared.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
dpb wrote:

Are you able to pick these pallets up w/ a sling? If so, an overhead
rail w/ just a block and tackle or manual chain hoist is pretty cheap
(and more importantly, perhaps, quite simple to erect as opposed to
trying to cobble up a homebuilt lift or scissor table). I'd think it
well worth the investment to buy an inexpensive pallet mover, though.

As mentioned, a trailer with a lift gate and a driver with a pallet
mover and you are in business.

After sending last post, the idea of a manual chain fall or an electric
hoist hit me.

Add an overhead rail and you are done.

Certainly the lowest cost, fastest way to solve the problem, if the
trucking company shows up not prepared.

If you read the beginning the whole point is to avoid the liftgate
charge they make if send truck w/ lift gate...since drivers are
obligated to get it to the rear of the truck (just not to the ground)
they almost always have the pallet truck for inside the truck...

Altho another totally different tack, Morris -- instead of the tall lift
to the semi at your place, what about the lower lift to you pick-em-up
and then take it to the terminal?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
| Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
respectuflly snipped
| Altho another totally different tack, Morris -- instead of the tall lift
| to the semi at your place, what about the lower lift to you pick-em-up
| and then take it to the terminal?

I don't have a fork lift, so I pick up larger and heavier stuff at the
shipping terminals and use an overhead hoist to unload inside the shop from
the pickup or trailer. I am taking donations for a fork lift if anyone has
spare change. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodstuff wrote:

I don't have a fork lift, so I pick up larger and heavier stuff at the
shipping terminals and use an overhead hoist to unload inside the

shop from
the pickup or trailer. I am taking donations for a fork lift if

anyone has
spare change. :-)

I wonder if lift gate charges have something to do with an area?

Here in L/A, the only trailers that aren't equipped with a lift gate
are containers on trailers out for delivery/pickup to a job site and
containers being run back and forth from the docks to the rail yards.

Everything I have delivered comes on a lift gate trailer and there is
no notation of a lift gate surcharge on the invoice. Maybe it is hidden.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
woodstuff wrote:

I don't have a fork lift, so I pick up larger and heavier stuff at the
shipping terminals and use an overhead hoist to unload inside the

shop from
the pickup or trailer. I am taking donations for a fork lift if

anyone has
spare change. :-)

I wonder if lift gate charges have something to do with an area?

Here in L/A, the only trailers that aren't equipped with a lift gate are
containers on trailers out for delivery/pickup to a job site and
containers being run back and forth from the docks to the rail yards.

Everything I have delivered comes on a lift gate trailer and there is no
notation of a lift gate surcharge on the invoice. Maybe it is hidden.

I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most places
there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) for lift gate
service.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most places
there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) for lift

gate
service.

At a $100/shot, a chain fall and an old pickup start looking pretty
attractive.

Even the $20, Home Depot truck rental, comes into play.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:17:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most places
there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range) for lift gate
service.

My Performax 22/44, purchased from Amazon, was delivered with a lift
gate to central Connecticut last December at no extra charge. My
total delivery charge was $99.

I'd call my area "light suburban", compared to my travels around the
country. The largest city within an hour's drive has ~ 150,000
residents, I live in a 55 sq/mile town of 50,000.

Another shocker was that the sander was AIR FREIGHTED from a WMH
location (Memphis?) to BDL, where it got put on a ~ 24' straight
truck.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
|
| I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most
| places there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range)
| for lift gate
| service.
|
| At a $100/shot, a chain fall and an old pickup start looking pretty
| attractive.
|
| Even the $20, Home Depot truck rental, comes into play.

DIY pallet hauling isn't a reasonable alternative for me, and I'm
perfectly happy to pay the trucking companies to do the hauling. Lift
gate services are an extra cost option here in the greater DeSoto
metropolitan area (a joke, folks - there are probably fewer than 1500
inhabitants, even if you include livestock and visitors from
out-of-town) - and generally costs $50.

I'm happy to pay the truckers to do the hauling. What I want to do is
eliminate the lift gate charges when they pick up loads at my shop. I
could just charge this to my customers, but would prefer keep the cost
down.

If/when I have a lot of outgoing shipments, a real fork lift will make
sense. Until then I make-do. If I can, I'll make-do in style - after
all, how many shops can boast "woody" fork lifts? :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 6:56pm From:
(Lee*Michaels)
We can always count on JOAT for a sensible solution. In the midth of the
above suggestions are a couple that are close to what I have seen done.
snip

Glad you like the movie idea. I think turning it into a Russ Meyer
type production would be good.

Now that you mention it, when I was a kid, I don't think I ever saw
a farm without at least one dirt ramp for loading trucks. A lot of the
barns were either built into theside of a hil or had a dirt ramp leading
to an upper floor also. Just because its low tech doesn't mean it's a
bad idea.

Somewhere too I've seen plans for a homemade loader on the front of
a farm tractor. Seen some made without plans too. Never heard of any
of them not working.

Low tech for loading a truck tho, you can't beat a dirt ramp, some
kind of a low bed mover, easy to load, then when it gets up to the
truck, easy to slide the load off. Low tech, low buck, works.

There's a gass company around here wih a neat rig. It's a trailer,
on two wheels. Stradles a home type prone LP gas tank, the ig one, a
chain hoist hooks on and lifts it, then they fasten it to keep it
steady, then drive away to wherever it's going. Clearly homemade (if
not, it should be, it's definitely deasy enough to make).

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Almost forgot. My uncle used to use a homemade wheelbarrow type
thing to move his milk cans. If you've ever messed with a large, full,
milk can, you'll know they're heavy. This thing was very low, with
sides. It'd hold 3-4 milk cans. When you lifted the handles, the
bottom only cam an inch or two offf the ground. Made it quite easy to
load a full can, and easy to unload. You wouldn't want to move it too
far, but fr moving cans from the barn to te milk house, about 100 feet
or so, it worked just fine.

If you don't know what a milk house is, his was cement blocks,
cement floor, with a large, electric powered, water filled, cooler.
Lifting the milk cans in the cooler wasn't as bad as it dould be, becaus
it was set down a bit. There the milk cooled until the next day when
the dairy truck stopped by and picked the raw milk up. Everyhing was
cleaned very well in their, daily. The milking machine and wall were
cleaned with scalding water, every time used. I had an ucle in
Tennessee that used a spring for his drinking water and cooling milk,
butter, etc. Different places, different customs. But the one in
Tennessee didn't sell milk, just produced enough for home use.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

My grandfather did this with cream. He sold this to the "creamery". Back
in the day, many small farmers sold cream to a local co-op. They even hauled
it into the creamery each week. The milk that was left over was used to feed
the hogs.

This was back before the high butterfat milk that we get today due to
genetic manipulation of the cows and the grains, etc. fed to the modern day
dairy cow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

Now that you mention it, when I was a kid, I don't think I ever saw
a farm without at least one dirt ramp for loading trucks. A lot of the
barns were either built into theside of a hil or had a dirt ramp leading
to an upper floor also. Just because its low tech doesn't mean it's a
bad idea.
----------------

Yep, dirt ramps were everywhere where I grew up as well. We always kept
some planks around as well to augment the dirt ramp.

----------------
Somewhere too I've seen plans for a homemade loader on the front of
a farm tractor. Seen some made without plans too. Never heard of any
of them not working.
------------------

That would have been an easy modification to the lift bucket on the front of
our tractor.

------------------
Low tech for loading a truck tho, you can't beat a dirt ramp, some
kind of a low bed mover, easy to load, then when it gets up to the
truck, easy to slide the load off. Low tech, low buck, works.
----------------

OK, I have to make this comment. It probably won't be implemented by
Morris, but I have seen it done.

I have known three different people who have built hovercraft. One guy
built his when he was 15 years old. It worked well and he ended up donating
it to a school. The other two guys were backyard inventor types. But they
made platforms that could lift some impressive weights. One ultimately was
used in a shop setting.

They just wheeled the stock onto the platform, fired up the hovercraft
engine, and the whole thing just floated a few inches above the floor. Then
the material was pushed to the new location. Shut down the engine, wheeled
the stock off, etc.

It was noisy but impressive. So Morris, how about it?? A dirt ramp and a
hovercraft would be an elegant solution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

Yep, dirt ramps were everywhere where I grew up as well. We always

kept
some planks around as well to augment the dirt ramp.

In my part of the country they were called "barn banks".

Very original don't ya thunk?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
| They just wheeled the stock onto the platform, fired up the
| hovercraft engine, and the whole thing just floated a few inches
| above the floor. Then the material was pushed to the new location.
| Shut down the engine, wheeled the stock off, etc.
|
| It was noisy but impressive. So Morris, how about it?? A dirt
| ramp and a hovercraft would be an elegant solution.

Well, I kinda like the idea - but my shop is in an aircraft hanger and
my driveway is a taxiway used by a dozen or so aircraft. I think the
pilots would probably decide the hovercraft was cool - but the dirt
ramp probably wouldn't make the grade.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Lee Michaels wrote:

Yep, dirt ramps were everywhere where I grew up as well. We always kept
some planks around as well to augment the dirt ramp.

In my part of the country they were called "barn banks".

Very original don't ya thunk?

Lew

In Oz, we called 'em "Stock Ramps" and every farm with "Stock Yards had
one, Quite ifyen they were built from logs but covered with soil.
Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:42:54 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

DIY pallet hauling isn't a reasonable alternative for me, and I'm
perfectly happy to pay the trucking companies to do the hauling. Lift
gate services are an extra cost option here in the greater DeSoto
metropolitan area (a joke, folks - there are probably fewer than 1500
inhabitants, even if you include livestock and visitors from
out-of-town) - and generally costs $50.

I'm happy to pay the truckers to do the hauling. What I want to do is
eliminate the lift gate charges when they pick up loads at my shop. I
could just charge this to my customers, but would prefer keep the cost
down.

If/when I have a lot of outgoing shipments, a real fork lift will make
sense. Until then I make-do. If I can, I'll make-do in style - after
all, how many shops can boast "woody" fork lifts? :-)

Well then what if you took something like this
and made a platform?

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Once you get that forklift, you'll be amazed at how handy it can be. With a
platform it is good for high work if it is double or triple mast. .

Every place I can recall working at had welded up a pair of pockets for
the forks and a boom with a hook on the far end for a chain lift.

Also (OSHA UN-approved) putting walls around a pallet makes for a decent
work platform. If you make the walls 3' tall and provide a way t clamp
to the forks and to attach a fall harness, you might even slide in under
the OSHA radar.

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000751-4, 06/23/2007
Tested on: 6/24/2007 12:47:42 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris, would it be possible to dig out a sunken truck ramp/dock?
That way, you are not lifting the load, you are lowering the truck
deck.

Bob the Tomato

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:00:55 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"J T" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

What about a giant see-saw? You could put the pallet on a platform on
one end, then stack weights on the other end until it counterbalances
and raises the pallet to the truck deck height. Then wheel up to the
pallet with the driver's pallet jack and slide it into the truck.

Bob the Tomato