Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 3:05pm (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey) doth
now sayeth:
snip My next door shop neighbor has an old Bendix that I may be able
to buy for about $300, but both of these take up a bit more space than
I'm ready to give up (yet).

Hell Morris. Buy it. Don't even think about te space it'll take
up. Worst case senario, you sell it and make a profit. But the thing
to do is make a wood whatever to fit over the forks, making a work
surface. That will reduce space taken up while increasing usable work
area. You can make some sort of wood structue that fits over the back
for something similar, or temporary storage. You need to use it,
uncover it, you won't care about the space the wooden "structures" take
up, because you'll be loading. When finished, park it again, and put
the "structures" back in pace.

I've got someting along those lines that sets on th top of my wood
lathe stand, gives a substantial increase in work surface, with no
additional space lost.

If I had the chance to buy a forklift for $300, I'd probably buy
it, and I don't have any use for one at all. And, it'd have to be
parked outside, under a tarp. But you can sure betcha I could find a
lot of uses for it.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton