Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Morris Dovey wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
| Morris, one other note -- occasionally you can find forklift mast
| assemblies at near giveaway prices.
|
| There are outfits that just part out old fork lifts.
|
| Check with the local fork lift dealers.
|
| They will know how to find them.
|
| Lew

I've found a couple of low-dollar forklifts. I figure there are a lot
of the things around, and that they're all busily aging. In the short
term, all I need to be able to do is hoist a 100-300 lb (maximum)
shop-built pallet onto the back end of a semi trailer. The fork can
will wait until I have a real need. There are other things I need to
spend for first.

I'll touch base with local used equipment dealers and see if I can
find a fork lift "chop shop" in the area. I won't hurt to let people
know that I'm interested...

That's the ticket...if you know a few of the local distributors they're
usually pretty good at "keeping an eye out" if they know what you're
looking for and what your budget is...

Are you able to pick these pallets up w/ a sling? If so, an overhead
rail w/ just a block and tackle or manual chain hoist is pretty cheap
(and more importantly, perhaps, quite simple to erect as opposed to
trying to cobble up a homebuilt lift or scissor table). I'd think it
well worth the investment to buy an inexpensive pallet mover, though.

Although another thought just comes to mind -- what about making the
pallets to have a removable axle/wheels -- a la the idea of the movable
saw/planer table? All it takes is a notch to hold the fixed end and a
hole for a handle and dolly on the other end--the turning end probably
only needs one wheel so you have a tripod arrangement...A lever under
the pallet lets you raise it to remove them when you're at the
destination. Most if not all drivers have a pallet mover onboard to get
stuff _to_ the tailgate so all you really need is to be able to wheel it
where you can lift it up, right?