Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Plans for a wooden forklift or pallet lifter/mover? (JT?)

Lew Hodgett wrote:
| dpb wrote:
|
| I expect that must be because of the large metro area -- most
| places there's a pretty steep surcharge (like in the $100 range)
| for lift gate
| service.
|
| At a $100/shot, a chain fall and an old pickup start looking pretty
| attractive.
|
| Even the $20, Home Depot truck rental, comes into play.

DIY pallet hauling isn't a reasonable alternative for me, and I'm
perfectly happy to pay the trucking companies to do the hauling. Lift
gate services are an extra cost option here in the greater DeSoto
metropolitan area (a joke, folks - there are probably fewer than 1500
inhabitants, even if you include livestock and visitors from
out-of-town) - and generally costs $50.

I'm happy to pay the truckers to do the hauling. What I want to do is
eliminate the lift gate charges when they pick up loads at my shop. I
could just charge this to my customers, but would prefer keep the cost
down.

If/when I have a lot of outgoing shipments, a real fork lift will make
sense. Until then I make-do. If I can, I'll make-do in style - after
all, how many shops can boast "woody" fork lifts? :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar