Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

"Leon" wrote:

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are
many tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group
with fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of
readers and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I
still enjoy; just pointing out alternatives to those who might be
interested.

Joe

If infinitely wiser, why do they pay to give advice?

Where else could you sell it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Just saw this the other day: a package of 'pro' sponge brushes, next to
the 'pro' towels...wtf isn't 'pro' these days?

Free Advice.

Toothpaste: Large, King-size, Jumbo. WTF is with that? The smallest is
now Large?

One Size Fits All.

Actually the smallest size in toothpaste is now 'sample' and costs a buck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:34:21 -0500, Tanus wrote:

I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my
reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about
alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank
payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method
we take.

You can't get a Visa debit card from your checking account?

With it, you can pay as a credit card while paying cash, with added
fraud protection. My credit union debit card has a Visa logo whether
I want it or not.

Maybe I can. I haven't checked and I'm not about to. Getting a VISA or
M/C is something I can do. That's not the point.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message

Maybe I can. I haven't checked and I'm not about to. Getting a VISA or
M/C is something I can do. That's not the point.

I understand your reluctance about CC's ... although I have two, I rarely
use them and have the same aversion. Like you, and for the better part of my
life, I refused to touch the things, and still do for the most part.

But don't let the Visa on the check/debit card fool you ... keyed to a
checking account and only good up to the balance in the account, it is one
of the handiest things in the current world we live in, bar none, and one
thing I really don't want to EVER be without.

Better/safer than carrying wads of cash or a check book, and you can use it
anywhere you can use a credit card.

Although she doesn't have a checking account, I got a similar debit
(VisaBuxx) card for my youngest daughter when she was in Jr High School.
It's been safer for her than carrying cash in an urban setting, and
convenient for me, as I can transfer money from any one of my accounts on
the phone, or online, _instantly_ (and I mean INSTANTLY, 24/7)... that is
"peace of mind" for a father!

She's been in a shop in England and needed something, called me, and two
minutes later ... the time it took me to go online or call the number ...
the money is on her VisaBuxx card.

While she's away at college it is how I fund her monthly allowance, or any
emergency purchases that need to be made, like books, etc.

And it comes in especially handy when she's traveling overseas as I can make
sure she has available cash 24/7 anywhere in the world there is an ATM or
credit card terminal.

Mine has the same protections as a credit card as far as fraudulent use, and
I've been using it for online purchases, like the Taunton site, for the
better part of ten years.

Got to be one of the best inventions of our time, IMO!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
I think it was "Leon" who stated:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
. ..
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

54

It's 42. You're using the wrong base.

Oooohhh. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

And it comes in especially handy when she's traveling overseas as I can
make
sure she has available cash 24/7 anywhere in the world there is an ATM or
credit card terminal.

Not only handy, but that is where I get the best exchange rates. The money
changers at the airport are thieves to be avoided. Many places will not
accept Traveler's checks either.

I still use a credit card for car rentals though. They can put a big hold
on your debit card and you lose some of the available funds.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

She's been in a shop in England and needed something, called me, and two
minutes later ... the time it took me to go online or call the number ...
the money is on her VisaBuxx card.

While she's away at college it is how I fund her monthly allowance, or any
emergency purchases that need to be made, like books, etc.

My daughter has been in Tegucigalpa, Honduras for the last three years
(I'm still trying to figure out how to get some hardwoods shipped home).
We deposit money into her checking account here in the states and the
funds are immediately available to her in Honduras via her debit card.

One thing to watch is the fees associated with the debit card's use,
especially overseas. Initially she would was using the card for a
single $.75 purchase and was getting hit for a $3.50 transaction fee.
She has since changed to withdrawing amounts of $50 - $75 cash at a time
to cover small expenses incurred during the week avoided the multiple
ATM fees.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

[...]

We didn't have that problem two years ago with her VisaBuxx card in Europe,
but times change, so it is definitely something to watch for ... thanks for
the heads-up!

There is a $2.50 transfer fee (charged to my account) when transferring to
the VisaBuxx card, no matter the amount ... but that is the only charge,
other than the below, that has been associated with the card, with two
different banks, since we first started using it nine years ago.

For me that is cheap for an instant transfer of funds, and the peace of mind
it brings.

That said, don't overdraw the account (something that is not easy to do, but
can be done), because then they stick you with a $15 charge ... that's
happened twice in nine years and both times it came out of the next transfer
of her allowance, so she has always been REAL careful about it. AAMOF, she
keeps a close eye on it and will call me if it gets lower than $20 ... and
an added attraction is that I also get an instant e-mail alert from the
issuing bank when the account drops below $20.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

And it comes in especially handy when she's traveling overseas as I can
make
sure she has available cash 24/7 anywhere in the world there is an ATM

or
credit card terminal.

Not only handy, but that is where I get the best exchange rates. The

money
changers at the airport are thieves to be avoided. Many places will not
accept Traveler's checks either.

I know I sounded like a damn commercial ... but I can't tell you how high
the convenience/cost ratio of my youngest daughter's VisaBuxx card is for
my/our purposes.

I still use a credit card for car rentals though. They can put a big hold
on your debit card and you lose some of the available funds.

Yep .. I do the same.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , wrote:

Don't be surprised if your next ATM card arrives with a credit card
logo. I can no longer get an ATM card from the two credit unions or
one bank that I deal with without a credit card logo.

I bet you can if you make a fuss about it. I've had my checking account at
Bank A for 25+ years, but (mostly due to better terms) I've done all my loan
business at Bank B. About 5 years ago, Bank A sent me -- unrequested -- a new
ATM card with a MC logo on it. Except it wasn't *just* an ATM card, it was a
debit card too. And it looked almost identical to the MC that I already
carried in my wallet. Worst of all, the paperwork accompanying it informed me
that my current ATM card would no longer be valid 30 days later.

So I called and protested. Told the customer service rep that the last thing I
wanted was a card that looked like a credit card, was accepted like a credit
card, and took money directly out of my checking account. Don't want it, don't
need it, not gonna use it. Want to keep using the old ATM card, too.

He told me that's impossible.

I pointed out that *every* time I've gone into Bank B for a loan, they ask me
when they're going to get my checking account business too, and I always tell
them the same thing: I'm happy with Bank A, and I'm staying there unless they
do something to tick me off.

Then I told the fella from Bank A "Now you guys have done something to tick
me off -- and I promise you that tomorrow morning I'm moving my checking
account to Bank B unless you find a way to make that work."

He said, "I can't do that."

I said, "Then transfer to someone who can."

Transferred. Same statement, same response.

Transferred again. Got somebody with some real authority that time, who said
"Let me see what I can do." An hour later, he called me back and said he had
it all fixed.

And I'm *still* using the same ATM card. With only the bank's logo on it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
[snip]

Ma'am, please remove the wood from your luggage... G

Customs agent: " Well, I have never seen 12-foot skis that wide before."..."and there's,1,2,3,4,5...you brought enough Honduran mahogany skis for 6 people?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:03:27 GMT, Nova wrote:

My daughter has been in Tegucigalpa, Honduras for the last three years
(I'm still trying to figure out how to get some hardwoods shipped home).

Ma'am, please remove the wood from your luggage... G

Does UPS do Honduras?

Yes but to ship a 5 lb (15x15x10) package with a declared value of $30
from Buffalo to Tegucigalpa would cost just under $300 USD. She uses a
PakMail service that cost about 1/3 of UPS's charge but takes about
three times as long to arrive. Customs, especially at the Honduran end,
have been a problem. Things often end up missing.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:12:17 GMT, Nova wrote:

Things often end up missing.

I know of a Beech Sundowner
http://www.airliners.net

Every time I find myself on that site, I have to look up this shot,
which was a desktop for the longest time:

(dunno why I like it so much..just so incredibly powerful)

http://tinyurl.com/ycchmk

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in news:1168820904.645536.282040
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:12:17 GMT, Nova wrote:

Things often end up missing.

I know of a Beech Sundowner
http://www.airliners.net

Every time I find myself on that site, I have to look up this shot,
which was a desktop for the longest time:

(dunno why I like it so much..just so incredibly powerful)

http://tinyurl.com/ycchmk

We used to live in West Floral Park, NY, just off the "path" (whatever it
is called) and a few miles away from the landing runway of Kennedy
International Airport (Idlewild). It was magnificent to see all those
747's and other biggies float by, and I really like being a passenger on
them better than on 767's. In addition, the Concord(e) was very beautiful,
but noisy as all "#311".

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Han" wrote in message
In addition, the Concord(e) was very beautiful,
but noisy as all "#311".

Ever been in one? They had to be fast, you couldn't stand to be that cramped
for long.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"CW" wrote in
link.net:

"Han" wrote in message
In addition, the Concord(e) was very beautiful,
but noisy as all "#311".

Ever been in one? They had to be fast, you couldn't stand to be that
cramped for long.

Never been in one. I've seen the tiny things on the ground a number of
times, and I know (sort of) some bigwigs who liked to fly them. Among
them, Sir John Vane eventually got a Nobel prize, but Salvador Moncada did
not.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:11:04 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

I occasionally read Woodcentral, but I really don't like the
interface. I think I've tried every sort order and option available,
but none sticks with me. The reviews and articles can be quite
useful, and I've enjoyed reading several chat transcripts.

Of course everyone has their own tastes, but I basically have my
options set just like my newsreader does it for the wreck: reverse
threaded listing. The only difference is that the newest posts are on
top (both new thread and new posts to threads) as opposed to Agent,
where the new threads are at the bottom (unless there's a setting I
haven't found yet to change that).

The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start
replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. G

Guilty as charged, although I am no DD. I do it because it's an
effective way of getting readers to look at my message. Yes, I have
that much ego.

Frankly, I get tired (not on usenet because it works differently) of
seeing 25 straight copies of the original subject line with "" in
front of them. How unoriginal. But I realize usenet works a little
differently--see below.

When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow,
especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.

But the entire thread is there, so there is context. With Agent (and
maybe other readers on usenet) when you change the subject line, the
reply is taken out of the thread. That and failing to quote any of the
material in the post being replied to is what is so maddening about
DD. It doesn't work that way at WC.

The relatively loose moderation style on WC does make it a rather
friendly, easy-going site. I wish I could get used to a display
style!

Ellis does a first class job.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Blum wrote:

One benefit that occurs to me is that should anybody else get a hold of
your card, they can't use it without your PIN code. Cards with the
Visa/MC logo can be used without that information, therefore your cash
is less secure.

It would be a benefit if it were true.

Debit cards run as credit cards have all the fraud protections of a
credit card:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/security/visa_security_program/zero_liability.html?it=il|/personal/security/index.html|Zero%0A%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%2 0%20%20%20Liability

Of course, if the transaction uses a PIN, none of the above applies.

Personally I use my credit card for virtually every purchase I make, as
it is more convenient to not have to bother with cash. I just pay the
entire balance off each month so as to not have that convenience cost
me extra.

Same here. Not to mention bonus points. G

I've heard that studies show that we spends less when using cash. We
budget with Quicken, so we know exactly where we spend, regardless of
how we spend it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...

I've heard that studies show that we spends less when using cash.

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in the
eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get things under
control.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in
the eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get things
under control.

I'm with ya'!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

In two ways: first, I'm still using the same PIN, too, so I didn't have
to memorize a new one.

Good point, although my credit union will put any PIN on the card I want.

Mostly, though, the benefit I perceive is that
it's not possible for me to accidentally debit a major purchase from my
checking account, instead of charging it on MC like I meant to, simply
by inadvertently pulling the wrong card out of my wallet.

I know that feeling! G

I have a company charge card that allows no personal use. I keep the
three cards in my wallet in different colored Tyvek envelopes. On
occasion, my wife uses my wallet online 'cause I leave it next to the
computer and her purse is elsewhere. Twice she's put the cards back in
the wrong sleeves and I've had the company card out for major purchases
and realized what I was about to do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
George wrote:

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in
the eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get things
under control.

I'm with ya'!

After my sister's accident, the medicals bills (now well over $700,000)
went across the desk of someone who used to specialize in forensic
accounting for a very large construction company.
The hospitals involved either knew this scrutiny was taking place or
they're basically honest. Expensive, but honest. No evidence of 30
dollar boxes of Kleenex.
As usual, basically honest professionals are taking a bad rap for the
as*holes in any business.
Anybody in here who is a builder, or deals with builders, knows that
the bulk of them are pretty straight shooters.
It only takes a couple of bad apples.

WHICH reminds of a story.

A woman from one of the local service clubs was visiting a lawyer
because she noticed in her database of contributors that he never sent
any money even though he was a member.
"Why don't you help us out with a charitable contribution?" she asked.
"Let me tell you," he explained, "my wife is at home in a wheelchair,
my sister is in a very expensive rehab centre, my mother is in one of
the country's most expensive sanatoriums, my father is in very costly
physiotherapy, my 2 sons are in college, my daughter needs help in
keeping her head above water. I don't give them any money, why should I
give you any money?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...

B A R R Y wrote:
George wrote:

One man's solution to the "healthcare crisis." Make them look you in
the eye as you pay the bill _yourself_ and see whether we can get
things
under control.

I'm with ya'!

After my sister's accident, the medicals bills (now well over $700,000)
went across the desk of someone who used to specialize in forensic
accounting for a very large construction company.
The hospitals involved either knew this scrutiny was taking place or
they're basically honest. Expensive, but honest. No evidence of 30
dollar boxes of Kleenex.
As usual, basically honest professionals are taking a bad rap for the
as*holes in any business.
Anybody in here who is a builder, or deals with builders, knows that
the bulk of them are pretty straight shooters.
It only takes a couple of bad apples.

Interesting to note the "this is not a bill" statements from Medicare and
other insurances, where the participating provider discounts heavily and
takes the write-off. An unrecognized public cost, surely, that write-off.
I wonder if the MSRP-equivalent cost they state at first is derived between
the ears or buttocks.

Were it not for the auto accidents, our ambulance would be broke. They pay
the full amount on our bills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

George wrote:

Interesting to note the "this is not a bill" statements from Medicare and
other insurances, where the participating provider discounts heavily and
takes the write-off.

My brother-in-law was telling me that the hospital would submit a bill
to the insurance company (maybe via my BIL, I'm not sure) say for
$90,000 and the the insurance would say: "we'll give you $ 60K" and the
hospital would accept that....how can that work? Frequent Flyer Miles?

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
On
occasion, my wife uses my wallet online 'cause I leave it next to the
computer and her purse is elsewhere. .

Yup, uhuh...suuure... *wink, wink, say no more*
The old "purse-is-elsewhere" routine. Check!

*having a chuckle at Barry's expense*

Problem in this house, is that the company cards are somehow bolted
onto my accounts.
Sometimes she lets me use her purse. Most of the time, it matches my
shoes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Sometimes she lets me use her purse. Most of the time, it matches my
shoes.

That's real good ... as you long as you keep in mind that those pearls don't
go with everything!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Yup, uhuh...suuure... *wink, wink, say no more*
The old "purse-is-elsewhere" routine. Check!

*having a chuckle at Barry's expense*

Usually her purse is elsewhere when she needs cash. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

Joe

I just signed up and logged in - all for free. I enjoy this group but
I'm all for any new sources of knowledge. Thanks for the heads up Joe.

Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jan 2007 16:28:24 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Every time I find myself on that site, I have to look up this shot,
which was a desktop for the longest time:

(dunno why I like it so much..just so incredibly powerful)

http://tinyurl.com/ycchmk

WOW! Great shot!

Consider it borrowed.

Look at the area where the contrails go off the top left of the
screen. That's right about where my little airplane would be like a
kayak in the Perfect Storm. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 7:53 am, B A R R Y wrote:
WOW! Great shot!

Consider it borrowed.

I knew you'd like to see that if you hadn't already.

Look at the area where the contrails go off the top left of the
screen. That's right about where my little airplane would be like a
kayak in the Perfect Storm. G

Rip the wings right off a Pitt. What about a guy in an
UltraLite?..hehehehe

You read and learn about safety/exclusion zones and I often thought
that a few miles were a bit over-cautious, but then I saw this.
I really like the way the air is slightly different between left and
right vortex...almost looking like a slide the width of the wingspan.
Like a huge sheet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 7:53 am, B A R R Y wrote:
On 14 Jan 2007 16:28:24 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Every time I find myself on that site, I have to look up this shot,
which was a desktop for the longest time:

(dunno why I like it so much..just so incredibly powerful)

http://tinyurl.com/ycchmkWOW! Great shot!

Consider it borrowed.

Another:

http://tinyurl.com/2wmnyx