Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:11:04 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

I occasionally read Woodcentral, but I really don't like the
interface. I think I've tried every sort order and option available,
but none sticks with me. The reviews and articles can be quite
useful, and I've enjoyed reading several chat transcripts.

Of course everyone has their own tastes, but I basically have my
options set just like my newsreader does it for the wreck: reverse
threaded listing. The only difference is that the newest posts are on
top (both new thread and new posts to threads) as opposed to Agent,
where the new threads are at the bottom (unless there's a setting I
haven't found yet to change that).

The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start
replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. G

Guilty as charged, although I am no DD. I do it because it's an
effective way of getting readers to look at my message. Yes, I have
that much ego.

Frankly, I get tired (not on usenet because it works differently) of
seeing 25 straight copies of the original subject line with "" in
front of them. How unoriginal. But I realize usenet works a little
differently--see below.

When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow,
especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.

But the entire thread is there, so there is context. With Agent (and
maybe other readers on usenet) when you change the subject line, the
reply is taken out of the thread. That and failing to quote any of the
material in the post being replied to is what is so maddening about
DD. It doesn't work that way at WC.

The relatively loose moderation style on WC does make it a rather
friendly, easy-going site. I wish I could get used to a display
style!

Ellis does a first class job.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.