Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Follow-up on "headless knobs", furniture bolts with "rivet-shaped" heads

A while back I asked about what I called "headless knobs", furniture
bolts with "rivet-shaped" heads, and you guys told me you had seen
them, maybe even at popular hardware stores.

I found them at HD, and they call them Connecting Bolts and the other
half, Connecting Cap Nut. They would be good enough, but the woman
who owns this furniture is always very nice to me, for no reason other
than I'm friends with her son-in-law, so I'm going to look a bit
harder to find the exact match.

I'm not asking you to hunt for me anymore, just letting you know what
happened.

The one's at HD are brown, but not the best brown, and they aren't as
nice as the ones in the ottoman (the original ones had a widened
threaded screw in the middle, that had teeth to keep it in the hole
and to keep it from turning when tightened (although I'll still use 2
allen wrenches (It looked round, and it is round at the surface, but
it turns out it is hex shaped a mm. below the surface.)

I searched for Connecting Nuts on the web and got a few hits, a few of
which didn't pan out (I had to go down a few levels and didn't find
them.) and a couple sites where I found them but they were wholesale
sites, and I only need at most 4 sets.

Now that I know a name, I searched Lowes.com (coulnd't find them at
Lowes itself, and I did find them
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:45:35 -0500, mm
wrote:

Now that I know a name, I searched Lowes.com (coulnd't find them at
Lowes itself, and I did find them

I started the sentence before I searched. I was overly optimistic.
Lowes doesn't have them, it seems.

I misjudged the threaded shaft diameter, and the nuts I got from HD
fit after all. So I can use all 4 original shafts, and 2 nuts out of
8 will be a little bigger and a little lighter brown. I'm done, for
only two dollars.

She said her late husband, who weighed a lot, ruined the ottoman, but
I think the problem was really not tightening the nuts when they first
got loose, and loosing them after they fell off.

My mother would find parts on the floor and save them forever (at
least until her death 50 years later) for when we figured out what
they were for.

In one case, there was a long rivet and a wooden cylinder with a hole
in it, that she kept with other small parts in my desk drawer. I
didn't know they were related, but eventually I noticed the wall
pencil sharpener without a handle on the flat metal arm that was
supposed to turn to do the sharpening. Those were the two missing
parts, and I fixed the thing maybe 15 years after it broke.