Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Joe Bleau
wrote:

an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors.

Oh, really? Infinitely more?

Some may take that as an insult, and possibly wish to use foul language
in your direction, suggesting physically impossible auto-sexual
activity.

But y'know what? I think I'll just keep hanging out here with the dumb
guys.

I'd be too embarrassed to go to a forum where people are infinitely
more knowledgeable than me. Why, they'll probably know the question
whose answer is "42", and then the universe will disappear and be
replaced with something even more inexplicable.

I bet even Dr. Bernofski would shy away, and he knows *everything*.

Thanks anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was Dave Balderstone who
stated:

Why, they'll probably know the question
whose answer is "42", and then the universe will disappear and be
replaced with something even more inexplicable.

Do *you* want to know the Question?

The Ultimate Question?

About Life, the Universe, and Everything?

I could find out, but it would take some doing.

Meanwhile, I stick with rec.woodworking too.

-Don (off to see the mice)

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors.

us dummyz cant reed gud anyway so ill just stay heer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors.

us dummyz cant reed gud anyway so ill just stay heer.

If you make the most of woodworking classes, you study hardwoods, you
do your woodwork, and you make an effort to be smart, you can be in
Finewoodworking.com. If you don't, you get stuck in irec.woodworking.

John K.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Could be just me but I was deeply offended when they wanted to charge
over and above the subscrip price for their website. A charge for
those who don't get the mag would be OK. But for those of us who do
and have for years...If the mag wasn't the quality it is I would have
dropped them over that. Instead I continue to enjoy the print version.
As for online, there is just waaaaayyyyy to much free on the net to
justify the extra cost.

Filtering out the OT's, Spam and Iraq body counts really isn't that
difficult. As for the skill level, If I didn't need to ask a dumb
question once in a while I probably would save that time poundin' keys
and put it to better use making sawdust.

Daryl

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

There are plenty of good alternatives, but web-based groups are too hard to
use.
This is perfect for dummies like me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

Joe

If infinitely wiser, why do they pay to give advice?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
wrote:

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

Joe

If infinitely wiser, why do they pay to give advice?

How dare you question the infinitely wise!
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Joe Bleau wrote:
I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

Joe

Hey, do you think I could substitute "rec.woodworking" for
"finewoodworking.com" in your post and have it posted there?

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 20:34:22 -0500, Joe Bleau
wrote:

I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

I'm a WoodCentral guy (http://www.woodcentral.com), as are a few of
the others he Lee Gordon, Charles Self, David Eisan, to name a
couple. So far as I'm concerned, it's the best web based alternative
to the wreck. However, I've been here longer. There is something to be
said for being able to post a picture directly, though.

I don't much care for the others, for a variety of
reasons--personality (of the site), personalities (of the players),
software...you get the idea.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another option is the Woodshop News forum http://www.woodshopnews.com/forum/
and, unlike Fine Woodworking's, it does not charge a membership fee or
require a subscription to the magazine.

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I believe it cost a few bucks to participate but the magazine Fine
Woodking has a website known as "finewoodworking.com." There are many
tips, articles, tool reviews, and a very lively discussion group with
fewer OT postings and an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors. Not trying to raid this group which I still enjoy;
just pointing out alternatives to those who might be interested.

You know, I think I'll pass as well.

What I still can't understand, no matter how long I poke around on
this group, is why OT discussion is so horrifying to people. I like
woodworking quite a bit, but I'll be damned if I'd visit a forum that
had ten or fifteen conversations about tuning up a handplane and how
to use a router recycling on an endless loop. It's the same reason I
let all my magazine subscriptions lapse- they were just repeating
themselves.

I come here to talk about whatever comes up on the group, because it's
entertaining, and I at least know that the folks here have enough
intellegence and motivation to engage in a hobby that requires
considerable investments in time, money and research (not necessarily
in that order.) That alone is a pretty effective pre-filter when
deciding who I wish to speak to, if looking at most of the other
groups on Usenet is any indication. And, I learned a lot here when I
started to look at making furniture when I decided to *graduate* from
being a remodeler with basic carpentry skills- so answering newbie
questions is sort of paying the community back for past assistance.

Far as "experitise" goes, I'd trust most of the regulars here to work
in my shop unattended, and at least some have amazing abilities and
knowledge. So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to
make wood appear from nothing using only the power of your mind?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Fearn wrote in
:

Do *you* want to know the Question?

The Ultimate Question?

About Life, the Universe, and Everything?

I could find out, but it would take some doing.

Meanwhile, I stick with rec.woodworking too.

-Don (off to see the mice)

I'll have to think about it for a while, but I should be able to come up
with it. (-:

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to
make wood appear from nothing using only the power of your mind?

Now THAT I would pay for!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:120120072050099093%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Joe Bleau
wrote:

an infinitely more knoweldgeable base of readers
and contributors.

Oh, really? Infinitely more?

Some may take that as an insult, and possibly wish to use foul language
in your direction, suggesting physically impossible auto-sexual
activity.

Some may realize that knowledgeability is assumed when in agreement,
ignorance when in disagreement. Can you say "halo effect?"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Prometheus" wrote in message

It's the same reason I
let all my magazine subscriptions lapse- they were just repeating
themselves.

Bingo ... I don't subscribe to the magazine precisely because that.

However, I personally find the FWW subscription web site worth the price
because of the availability of a ton of articles in pdf format. If you're
continually searching for design ideas, and ways to solve woodworking
problems based on design, it's an excellent resource at a reasonable price,
IMO.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

..and WHAT has FWW even give away for free?, Huh? Huh?

They are penny pinchers ... I just got in a ****ing contest with Taunton
over their website store's apparently well *hidden* shipping policy. Not a
bad idea to make wRec'ers aware of:

I ordered an item on a Wednesday morning via UPS 2nd Day air, expecting a
Friday AM delivery ... the item didn't arrive until after 6 PM the following
Monday!

Taunton continued to insist/claim that what I paid for with "2nd Day Air"
was delivery after office hours (6PM) on Monday, after five days in transit,
and 3 1/2 "business days" from the date of the order!

To me, 2nd Day Air is short hand for "day after tomorrow" when placed on
Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday before noon ... and UPS agrees with me,
although they include Wednesday without a qualifier, like "before noon" for
the contiguous 48.

To Taunton, and for all practical purposes for an unwary Taunton customer,
because they just might not get around to processing your order until the
next day, 2nd Day Air shipping is a crapshoot and only worth the price if
you place the order on two days of the week, Monday or Tuesday ... maybe!

Hey,Taunton ... you really need to say that!

Long story short, after much bitching and exchange of e-mails, they
reluctantly returned my money ... but only after they received the item back
after sending me a "postage paid label" to return the goods.

Although I subscribe to their website because I find it to be a time saving
resource for some of what I do, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy
anything from them again ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

(The mice told me.)

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it
Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Fearn wrote:
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

(The mice told me.)

Where did your mice go to school?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "Mike in Arkansas" wrote:

Don Fearn wrote:
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

(The mice told me.)

Where did your mice go to school?

Some place where they do arithmetic in base-13, apparently.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Fearn wrote:
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

(The mice told me.)

If you got to the mice, you withstood a barrage of Vogan sharpshooters.
That in itself is meaningful.

I think my drill press is depressed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

Far as "experitise" goes, I'd trust most of the regulars here to work
in my shop unattended, and at least some have amazing abilities and
knowledge. So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to
make wood appear from nothing using only the power of your mind?

Real expertise is making do with what you have. Some of these
woodworking shows on TV, for instance, are not a reflection of reality
in most cases. "Now here, we'll cut the stack of 4 x 8 pre-laminated
sheets with our 8-blade gang saw. Then we move the slabs to our
computer controlled edgebander before boring the prerequisite 44 holes
per gable in our PTP unit."
TOH went the same way: "Then we ordered the Elba stone, we had it
crushed in Italy..blah, blah, blah."
We watch this for a while before we figure out that we're not George
Clooney, and we ain't getting Jessica Alba's clothes off.

I find the blend of expertise in here very comforting as many here know
less about this craft than I do, and the same amount know more than I.
What a great place to look good and stupid at the same time.

If I want hard-core, business-like solutions, there's always
http://www.woodweb.com/
Now there's a site (column on the right, called Knowledge Base) where
they deal with more 'pro' stuff.

Just saw this the other day: a package of 'pro' sponge brushes, next to
the 'pro' towels...wtf isn't 'pro' these days?
Toothpaste: Large, King-size, Jumbo. WTF is with that? The smallest is
now Large?....*peels off Andy Rooney mask*

My rant for today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I ordered an item on a Wednesday morning via UPS 2nd Day air, expecting a
Friday AM delivery ... the item didn't arrive until after 6 PM the
following
Monday!

Last I ever heard about their 2nd day(UPS), is that they do not guarantee
anything but NEXT DAY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to admit that the humor here is far superior. Moreover, I
learned about other groups I had never even heard of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start
replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. G
When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow,
especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.

That practice bugs me, too, but I like Wood Central enough to put up with
it. Fortunately, at the bottom of any message, after the message body and
any pictures or links that the poster has included, there's a section called
"Messages in this Thread" that shows a tree structure going all the way back
to the initial message in the thread. Of course, that doesn't help you
identify which thread a post entitled "Me Too" is part of unless you open
"Me Too" and scroll down to the bottom to check its "genealogy."

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in news:1168705378.514661.12930
@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

If you got to the mice, you withstood a barrage of Vogan sharpshooters.
That in itself is meaningful.

I think my drill press is depressed.

Do your saws sigh happily when they're turned on?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

[...]

There are a few people on the Wreck that I've come to take at face
value. Swingman is one of them. I don't think I've ever read anything by
him that has been proven wrong or misleading. That's not to say he's the
only one - there are quite a few who give me the same feeling.

Therefore, from what he's said about the FWW PDFs, I'll give it some
more thought. However, my bitch with FWW is that I decided a few months
ago to try out the forums and join the online group. Since I'm a FWW
subscriber, it was only $15 a year and quite affordable.

I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my
reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about
alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank
payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method
we take.

Well, sheeit. I had come to the conclusion then that I'd forego the
online subscription because of that answer.

For the most part I'm quite happy with my FWW magazine every month, but
I had come to expect more in customer service from them than that answer.

Maybe you're reading this, Taunton customer service. Maybe not. I think
i'll just use my $15 and put it towards my next Lee Valley run.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.
Posted to rec.woodworking

We don't want to join any club that would have us. :-

J.

Joe Bleau wrote:
I have to admit that the humor here is far superior. Moreover, I
learned about other groups I had never even heard of.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

54

Posted to rec.woodworking

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

(The mice told me.)

Where did your mice go to school?

Some place where they do arithmetic in base-13, apparently.

--
Regards,

Hey yeah, it is 42 in base 13. Had to check

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it was "Leon" who stated:

"Don Fearn" wrote in message
.. .
I think it was "Robatoy" who stated:

42 -------- that much I know. I just need a question now.

"WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?" is the question.

54

It's 42. You're using the wrong base.

-Don (NEW math student)

--
I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Gordon wrote:
The user tendency on WC that drives me batty are the users who start
replies in the subject line! It's like they have 50 Don Dandos. G
When folks do that, it makes threads very difficult to follow,
especially if you missed the beginning of the thread.

That practice bugs me, too, but I like Wood Central enough to put up with
it. Fortunately, at the bottom of any message, after the message body and
any pictures or links that the poster has included, there's a section called
"Messages in this Thread" that shows a tree structure going all the way back
to the initial message in the thread. Of course, that doesn't help you
identify which thread a post entitled "Me Too" is part of unless you open
"Me Too" and scroll down to the bottom to check its "genealogy."

Lee

that sounds like the exact sort of thing that could be fixed with a
greasemonkey script.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:

: I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my
: reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about
: alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank
: payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method
: we take.

And I'm sure they have their reasons for that.

If you're going to deliberately eschew the default means of payment
for web services, you might not be able to get the full range of them. Why
are you even surprised, much less offended?

-- Andy Barss