Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

Swingman wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

..and WHAT has FWW even give away for free?, Huh? Huh?

They are penny pinchers ... I just got in a ****ing contest with Taunton
over their website store's apparently well *hidden* shipping policy. Not a
bad idea to make wRec'ers aware of:

I ordered an item on a Wednesday morning via UPS 2nd Day air, expecting a
Friday AM delivery ... the item didn't arrive until after 6 PM the following
Monday!

Taunton continued to insist/claim that what I paid for with "2nd Day Air"
was delivery after office hours (6PM) on Monday, after five days in transit,
and 3 1/2 "business days" from the date of the order!

To me, 2nd Day Air is short hand for "day after tomorrow" when placed on
Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday before noon ... and UPS agrees with me,
although they include Wednesday without a qualifier, like "before noon" for
the contiguous 48.

To Taunton, and for all practical purposes for an unwary Taunton customer,
because they just might not get around to processing your order until the
next day, 2nd Day Air shipping is a crapshoot and only worth the price if
you place the order on two days of the week, Monday or Tuesday ... maybe!

Hey,Taunton ... you really need to say that!

Long story short, after much bitching and exchange of e-mails, they
reluctantly returned my money ... but only after they received the item back
after sending me a "postage paid label" to return the goods.

Although I subscribe to their website because I find it to be a time saving
resource for some of what I do, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy
anything from them again ...

There are a few people on the Wreck that I've come to take at face
value. Swingman is one of them. I don't think I've ever read anything by
him that has been proven wrong or misleading. That's not to say he's the
only one - there are quite a few who give me the same feeling.

Therefore, from what he's said about the FWW PDFs, I'll give it some
more thought. However, my bitch with FWW is that I decided a few months
ago to try out the forums and join the online group. Since I'm a FWW
subscriber, it was only $15 a year and quite affordable.

I'm one of those people who doesn't have a credit card. I have my
reasons for that, and it's served me well. So I emailed and asked about
alternative methods of payment: snail mail cheque, PayPal, online bank
payment, etc. NO, I was told by Taunton. CC is the ONLY payment method
we take.

Well, sheeit. I had come to the conclusion then that I'd forego the
online subscription because of that answer.

For the most part I'm quite happy with my FWW magazine every month, but
I had come to expect more in customer service from them than that answer.

Maybe you're reading this, Taunton customer service. Maybe not. I think
i'll just use my $15 and put it towards my next Lee Valley run.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.