Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need help finding a "Fine Woodworking"article

Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rumpty

Mike,

I have that issue somwhere, but reading it the guy went to all sorts of
trouble making them fit. I donno, but if you make a square cabinet and
square door it should fit, no? BTW, I was looking at these Blum inset
hinges at a cabinet store today and they work well for the inset door. They
made a bevel on each edge of the door to provide for clearance and a tight
fit of the door.

Gee whiz Mike right on top of the stack, the April 2005 issue, # 176.

R.

wrote in message
Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, I guess you're right about square frame + square door = good
fit. More for reference and frustration knowing I have it somewhere.
Thanks again,
Mike
On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:28:04 GMT, "Rumpty" wrote:

Mike,

I have that issue somwhere, but reading it the guy went to all sorts of
trouble making them fit. I donno, but if you make a square cabinet and
square door it should fit, no? BTW, I was looking at these Blum inset
hinges at a cabinet store today and they work well for the inset door. They
made a bevel on each edge of the door to provide for clearance and a tight
fit of the door.

Gee whiz Mike right on top of the stack, the April 2005 issue, # 176.

R.

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

For future reference:

http://www.woodworkingmagazineindex....dex_search.asp

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

wrote in message
Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike

If can be of some help, here's the pertinent parts of an old post of mine
from a couple of years back:

One method, of many:

Requirement: Perfectly, as possible, "square" face frame/cabinet sides.

Requirement: Perfectly, as possible, "flat" stock for the doors rails and
stiles, so the door has NO warp.

If the door is warped, do something to get rid of it ... the warp, or the
door. If the FF/cabinet sides are warped ... well.

You have previously made the door oversize in both dimensions ... about
3/32" wider and taller than the door opening ... you want to end up with
about a 1/16" gap, all around, between the door and the face frame of a
single, inset door in a cabinet.

Generally start by placing a bottom and top side, usually the bottom rail
and hinge side stile, in the door opening.

Then start your choice of planing, cutting, jointing, sanding, on the top
rail and opposite stile, for a TIGHT fit of the door in the opening.

Once you get the top and hinge side reduced to where the door will go JUST
go in the opening with NO room to spare, pull the door out and make a mark
1/8" across the top rail and opposite stile.

Plane, cut, joint, sand, to this line ... but sneak up on it, with as many
trial fittings as you need.

TIP: A good block plane is a invaluable tool when fitting inset doors.

Good luck ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:46:01 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike

If can be of some help, here's the pertinent parts of an old post of mine
from a couple of years back:

snip
You have previously made the door oversize in both dimensions ... about
3/32" wider and taller than the door opening ... you want to end up with
about a 1/16" gap, all around, between the door and the face frame of a
single, inset door in a cabinet.

snip

Is the door getting painted ? Varnished ? Finish will add thickness.
What part of the country are you located ? What time of year are you
fitting the doors? Seasonal changes will effect the gap.
In my opinion, if you don't factor in all these variables you could be
re-fitting the doors if you only allow 1/16" gap.

Lenny
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/Work
Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

"Lenny" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

If can be of some help, here's the pertinent parts of an old post of mine
from a couple of years back:

snip
You have previously made the door oversize in both dimensions ... about
3/32" wider and taller than the door opening ... you want to end up with
about a 1/16" gap, all around, between the door and the face frame of a
single, inset door in a cabinet.

snip

Is the door getting painted ? Varnished ? Finish will add thickness.
What part of the country are you located ? What time of year are you
fitting the doors? Seasonal changes will effect the gap.
In my opinion, if you don't factor in all these variables you could be
re-fitting the doors if you only allow 1/16" gap.

If a pig had wings ...

The 1/16" gap around inset doors/drawers is traditional in fine furniture,
but you do what you want.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05