Posted to rec.woodworking
Lenny

Default Need help finding a "Fine Woodworking"article

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 08:46:01 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,
I recall seeing an article recently about fitting inset cabinet doors.
I think it was in FWW but I maybe mistaken. I saw it within the last
18 months or so.
Mike

If can be of some help, here's the pertinent parts of an old post of mine
from a couple of years back:

snip
You have previously made the door oversize in both dimensions ... about
3/32" wider and taller than the door opening ... you want to end up with
about a 1/16" gap, all around, between the door and the face frame of a
single, inset door in a cabinet.

snip

Is the door getting painted ? Varnished ? Finish will add thickness.
What part of the country are you located ? What time of year are you
fitting the doors? Seasonal changes will effect the gap.
In my opinion, if you don't factor in all these variables you could be
re-fitting the doors if you only allow 1/16" gap.

Lenny
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/
http://www.geocities.com/lenhow/Work