Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default A more advanced "rec.woodworking"

Prometheus wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

Far as "experitise" goes, I'd trust most of the regulars here to work
in my shop unattended, and at least some have amazing abilities and
knowledge. So how is the FWW forum better? Do they tell you how to
make wood appear from nothing using only the power of your mind?

Real expertise is making do with what you have. Some of these
woodworking shows on TV, for instance, are not a reflection of reality
in most cases. "Now here, we'll cut the stack of 4 x 8 pre-laminated
sheets with our 8-blade gang saw. Then we move the slabs to our
computer controlled edgebander before boring the prerequisite 44 holes
per gable in our PTP unit."
TOH went the same way: "Then we ordered the Elba stone, we had it
crushed in Italy..blah, blah, blah."
We watch this for a while before we figure out that we're not George
Clooney, and we ain't getting Jessica Alba's clothes off.

I find the blend of expertise in here very comforting as many here know
less about this craft than I do, and the same amount know more than I.
What a great place to look good and stupid at the same time.

If I want hard-core, business-like solutions, there's always
http://www.woodweb.com/
Now there's a site (column on the right, called Knowledge Base) where
they deal with more 'pro' stuff.

Just saw this the other day: a package of 'pro' sponge brushes, next to
the 'pro' towels...wtf isn't 'pro' these days?
Toothpaste: Large, King-size, Jumbo. WTF is with that? The smallest is
now Large?....*peels off Andy Rooney mask*

My rant for today.