Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tried to order something from Europe..

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

Financial equivalence from te Telegraph..

"Mr Bailey said: "It would be reasonable to think that a common
framework of global standards combined with the common basis of the
rules €“ since the UK transposed EU rules from the outset €“ would be
enough to base equivalence on global standards. Less than this was
enough when Canada, the US, Australia, Hong Kong and Brazil were all
deemed equivalent.

"The EU has argued it must better understand how the UK intends to amend
or alter the rules going forward. This is a standard that the EU holds
*no other country to* and would, I suspect, not agree to be held to itself."

This stance only made sense, Mr Bailey said, if rules were either not
allowed to change €“ which the Bank chief called "unrealistic, dangerous
and inconsistent with practice" €“ or if Britain had to obtain Brussels'
permission to change the rules, which "is not acceptable".

The Governor said he did not want "a low regulation, high-risk, anything
goes financial centre and system", but that it was important rules could
be improved.

British regulations could be changed to free small, UK-only banks from
rules designed for international lenders, he said, something which is
common practice in the US and Switzerland, which are still deemed to be
equivalent by the EU.

Whitehall sources said that Mr Gove was expected to stress the need for
"urgent progress" on Northern Ireland, and for the EU to recognise the
problems being felt by businesses and people living in the region.

'A world in which the EU dictates what rules and standards we have in
the UK is not going to work' "

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we have a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

Financial equivalence from the Telegraph..

[...]

Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

I hope that the UK government realises that the only way to deal with
threats from the General Secretaries, Kommissars, and Apparatchiks is
with superior force, otherwise there's going to be some form of Prague
Spring from the EUSSR - although not using military force, that would
look just too crude.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?

Yep!

That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

Simple solution - everyone follows us out of the EU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Well I just ordered something from Portugal and there was no problem.

The exporters did say that their shippers had had some issues just
around the date of the actual changeover (i.e. around beginning of
January) but that these were sorted out now and things are running
smoothly again.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb 2021 11:59:40 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:49:28 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the ballot
paper.

There were loads of things that weren't on the ballot paper that were
*much more likely* to happen if we left the EU (you stupid, idealist,
blinkered, left-brainer goblin).

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained independence,
that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made trade difficult for
the new nations.

Completely different thing.

This is the problem with the left brainers, they don't get the 'human'
stuff in all this, they only go by the black and white rules and then
are surprised when something *they* didn't expect but all the right
brainers saw as clear as day happens.

You take your football home and then are surprised when you don't get
invited to any of the parties or people wouldn't even **** on you if
you were on fire.

ALL of this is *people stuff*, something you will never ever
understand, after all, you think a tiny majority *actually* represents
the 'will of the people'. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 12:22, T i m wrote:

This is the problem with the left brainers, they don't get the 'human'
stuff in all this, they only go by the black and white rules and then
are surprised when something *they* didn't expect but all the right
brainers saw as clear as day happens.

Being a left-brainer is far better than having a dysfunctional right
brain, not least because those with a dysfunctional right brain don't
have the capacity to diagnose their own problem or the root cause of it.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

as I have explained elsewhere

An FTA only affects commercial wholesale importation

it has no effect on domestic retail importation

domestic retail importation is still subject to the rules that local (UK)
VAT should be paid on the item, and where appropriate, import duty

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

because the HK company is "winging it" hoping that the package wont be
intercepted and duty applied.

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

No, the rules are at our end

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

you mean - our domestic shippers apply the rules more thoroughly that other
countries

probably because it gives them an opportunity to whack on a extortionate
handling fee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 11:47, Spike wrote:

snip

Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

When did he actually say this? Can you provide a cite?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

Yet I just bought an item from Lithuania and because it was through
eBay, my profile is VAT registered, I got the VAT exclusive price and
came PDQ.

If I wanted to wait another few weeks I guess I could have ordered it
from China.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:49:28 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the ballot
paper.

There were loads of things that weren't on the ballot paper that were
*much more likely* to happen if we left the EU (you stupid, idealist,
blinkered, left-brainer goblin).

Given the abuse you shower on others, I assume you must be a remainer
with a B12 deficiency.

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained independence,
that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made trade difficult for
the new nations.

Completely different thing.

This is the problem with the left brainers, they don't get the 'human'
stuff in all this, they only go by the black and white rules and then
are surprised when something *they* didn't expect but all the right
brainers saw as clear as day happens.

We do get the human stuff, we eat meat and meat products that prevent us
from abusing others who we disagree with.

You take your football home and then are surprised when you don't get
invited to any of the parties or people wouldn't even **** on you if
you were on fire.

Please explain.

ALL of this is *people stuff*, something you will never ever
understand, after all, you think a tiny majority *actually* represents
the 'will of the people'. ;-(

So it appears a lack of B12 also has effects on numerate brain
functions. Perhaps you have forgotten, through your B12 deficiency, that
the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain votes. Hardly a
minority.

Only someone with a B12 deficiency would think that anyone too lazy to
vote would be a remainer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

No.

Well - from over here in the EU (Ireland to be precise).....

.....at the moment - many of the suppliers I used to buy from in the UK
have either stopped supplying to the EU, or are selling 'minus UK VAT'
and leaving it up to the couriers to work out local VAT, plus import
duties (20%), plus handling charges, before they deliver the items.

(One particular UK supplier that I have used quite frequently took until
3rd Feb to resume shipments to the EU..)

Net result - buying from the UK is not currently a cost-effective option..

I bought some jewellery fittings last week from a supplier in Poland.
3 days to deliver to Irl, cheaper than the UK supplier I previously
used, no paperwork/duties etc. hassles.

The local discussion groups on Facebook are full of people who used to
buy from the UK and are now full of people seeking alternative suppliers
in the EU.

Same thing the other way round - many Irish sellers have suspended sales
to the UK.

Enjoy that sovereignty....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 13:20:53 UTC, tim... wrote:
[...]

The issue that I am seeing is companies being unwilling to register with the UK's HMRC for VAT.

Thus, they have problems sending lower value goods to the UK. If they operate any sort of online portal, there is no choice, they must register. I suspect many carriers will refuse to accept unless the VAT has been sorted.

Over GBP 135, it appears that they can get the carrier to collect the VAT (and duty, if applicable). But at extra cost (likely to the recipient on or before delivery).

It appears some major portals, like Aliexpress and iHerb, are adding the VAT and it is no practical issue. But for smaller companies, it could be quite an overhead.

Hitting this change to rules - related to but not expressly brexit - alongside loss of low value consignment relief, has resulted in an unpleasant mess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Its amazing how scared the EU are to break international law and treat
Britain deliberately worse than any other independent country.

They have effectively declared war.

This will not end well for them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 11:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher was thinking very hard :
The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?

Yep!

That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

Simple solution - everyone follows us out of the EU.

The Swiss have already done a deal on financials

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 11:49, Bob Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Sure. I am just surprised at how petty, vindictive, scared and
psychopathic the EU has shown itself to be. They are a serious danger to
Europe.

As their COVID cockups are demonstrating

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 13:59, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Odd that I have no problem ordering from OUTSIDE the EU.

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

As I said earlier I'm having no problems ordering from the EU.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 13:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2021 11:47, Spike wrote:

snip

Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

When did he actually say this? Can you provide a cite?

My recollection is that Juncker was shown making the remark in a TV news
report aired before the 2016 Referendum. I was struck at the time by the
demonstration of the EUSSR's line of thought, and have since been mildly
surprised that there appears little mention of it on the interweb.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Unfortunately, we don't seem to have a Bert Harris to hand. but his
quotation made all those years ago might still apply..."They have sown
the wind, they shall reap the whirlwind".

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-11, Fredxx wrote:
ALL of this is *people stuff*, something you will never ever
understand, after all, you think a tiny majority *actually* represents
the 'will of the people'. ;-(

So it appears a lack of B12 also has effects on numerate brain
functions. Perhaps you have forgotten, through your B12 deficiency, that
the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain votes. Hardly a
minority.

Errr 52% to 48%

Only someone with a B12 deficiency would think that anyone too lazy to
vote would be a remainer.

So what's your excuse for the rubbish about B12 etc?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 16:25, Spike wrote:
[...]

I think so. They want to break their own rules to attract financial
services and expect us to stick to them

Well we may just decide to follow their example.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-11, Fredxx wrote:
ALL of this is *people stuff*, something you will never ever
understand, after all, you think a tiny majority *actually* represents
the 'will of the people'. ;-(

So it appears a lack of B12 also has effects on numerate brain
functions. Perhaps you have forgotten, through your B12 deficiency, that
the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain votes. Hardly a
minority.

Errr 52% to 48%

If B12 wasn't an issue you would agree that 52 is 8% more than 48. Or
more to the point 17,410,742 is 8% more than 16,141,241. Confirming my
statement, "the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain
votes. Hardly a minority".

Only someone with a B12 deficiency would think that anyone too lazy to
vote would be a remainer.

So what's your excuse for the rubbish about B12 etc?

Are you suggesting B12 isn't an issue for fanatical vegans?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:33:24 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

snip right wing propaganda

We decided to be a country outside the EU and to trade with the EU just
like any other non-EU country.

The fact that other countries (e.g. China) are already in the groove to
supply the UK has no bearing on the UK's inability to get its act together
over Trade Agreements which it has signed with the EU.

I think the oft used term is "You won. Get over it."

Free trade deals don't mean no regulation or paperwork.
That is what you get with a single market and customs union.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 18:25, David wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 11:33:24 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

snip right wing propaganda

Is that what you call facts

We decided to be a country outside the EU and to trade with the EU just
like any other non-EU country.

Yes, the point being that the EU is not allowing that to happen

The fact that other countries (e.g. China) are already in the groove to
supply the UK has no bearing on the UK's inability to get its act together
over Trade Agreements which it has signed with the EU.

No, it is the EU countries that seem unable to get their act together.
It is their responsibility to produce compliant paperwork. The EU is
making it impossible.

I think the oft used term is "You won. Get over it."

Free trade deals don't mean no regulation or paperwork.
That is what you get with a single market and customs union.

It doesn't mean putting so much red tape in the way that your *own
companies* can no longer export.

Well it is no skin off my nose. I don't normally order anything from the
EU personally. I got most of what I needed from the UK warehouse and the
rest direct from Hong Kong.

Only the EU lost out.

--
€œwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€

€• Jean Claud Jüncker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I voted for Brexit and knew there would be initial glitches. Once the
children on both sides have got tired, things will run smoothly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 18:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:42:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, the point being that the EU is not allowing that to happen

Did you remind them the UK holds all the cards ?

it doesn't seem to matter that they are signing their death warrant.

You and the other remoaners seem to think I am complaining. I am not. I
am aghast that the EU should essentially stop its smaller companies
exporting to its biggest export market.

Like I said. it is cutting off their nose...

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 18:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:42:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, the point being that the EU is not allowing that to happen

Did you remind them the UK holds all the cards ?

it doesn't seem to matter that they are signing their death warrant.

Have you gone vegan?

You and the other remoaners seem to think I am complaining. I am not. I
am aghast that the EU should essentially stop its smaller companies
exporting to its biggest export market.

I am not a remainer, but you are complaining. You do not have a clue as
to why the goods you wanted were not supplied. Probably just a Natural
Philosopher of the German/French/WhateverEUnational kind at the supply end.

Like I said. it is cutting off their nose...

The same could be said for Brexiters, and I'm one of them.
Put the bottle down and go to bed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

That's because the foreign company has to charge UK VAT now and pay the
UK HMRC. Small companies can't be bothered. I've bought stuff since Jan
1st from the EU where the company is UK VAT registered and is capable of
dropping local VAT and charging UK VAT, paying UK HMRC, marking the
package with a correctly filled in customs form with their UK VAT info
and it arrives here, VAT paid with no extra charges.

The VAT changes have been public for some time before we left the EU.
The changes are not an EU change enforced on us, we (UK gov) were part
of the agreement.

The VAT rules change in EU remaining 27 on July 1st 2021, we went early
as we left Jan 1st 2021.

You know this full well and are just stirring up ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-11, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

switcherooo eh? Sorry I'll leave all the kids in the sand pit to argue.

bye

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-11, Fredxx wrote:
ALL of this is *people stuff*, something you will never ever
understand, after all, you think a tiny majority *actually* represents
the 'will of the people'. ;-(

So it appears a lack of B12 also has effects on numerate brain
functions. Perhaps you have forgotten, through your B12 deficiency, that
the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain votes. Hardly a
minority.

Errr 52% to 48%

If B12 wasn't an issue you would agree that 52 is 8% more than 48. Or
more to the point 17,410,742 is 8% more than 16,141,241. Confirming my
statement, "the number of brexit votes cast were 8% more than remain
votes. Hardly a minority".

This is true in the sense that 17,410,742 / 16,141,241 is 1.0786 or so, so
it's 7.86% more, but the margin is not normally expressed this way.

Bingo and exactly my point about humans (or even Goblins on a good day
g) versus droids like ****HeadXX.

So yet another example of how ****HeadXX is both a fanatical stalker
and a sad left-brained troll of course.

He doesn't GAF about anyone else, *especially* every other being he
holds as being beneath him (so that's 'everyone else' and of all
species).

Let's only hope you aren't disabled or a child (with the same
intelligence as a dog or pig) and were hoping to get any help,
humility or compassion from him. Hopefully the restraining orders will
prevent that ever being the case.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:59:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

snip
....at the moment - many of the suppliers I used to buy from in the UK
have either stopped supplying to the EU, or are selling 'minus UK VAT'
and leaving it up to the couriers to work out local VAT, plus import
duties (20%), plus handling charges, before they deliver the items.

(One particular UK supplier that I have used quite frequently took until
3rd Feb to resume shipments to the EU..)

Net result - buying from the UK is not currently a cost-effective option..

Mate works for a Co in Denmark who supply, install and maintain fire
control systems. He said during the EU Ref circus that if there were
any extra delays or issues buying kit from the UK, they would simply
buy it all elsewhere.

Enjoy that sovereignty....

There seem to be a minority who really seem to think we are 'Great
Britain', rather than the 'Arrogant Britain' who have been taking
liberties around the world for ages .. like some spoilt / kid.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-02-11, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

The only droid here is the one that drones on about his vegan diet and
how everyone else should also be deficient in B12.

So yet another example of how ****HeadXX is both a fanatical stalker
and a sad left-brained troll of course.

At least I think with both sides of your brain. Are you missing the
logical left side?

He doesn't GAF about anyone else, *especially* every other being he
holds as being beneath him (so that's 'everyone else' and of all
species).

I guess that is the point. I don't abuse anyone on their choice of food.
You are welcome to eat your diet of choice.

You do understand that being a fanatical vegan is at odds with being a
pet owner. It must bring about much cognitive dissonance.

Let's only hope you aren't disabled or a child (with the same
intelligence as a dog or pig) and were hoping to get any help,
humility or compassion from him. Hopefully the restraining orders will
prevent that ever being the case.

An excellent example of someone with serious mental health issues. For
christ's sake, get your B12 levels tested.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 21:24, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:59:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

snip
[...]

Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".
We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Jean-Claude Juncker (b. 1954) served as President of the
European Commission from 2014-19 & as the 23rd PM of Luxembourg
1995-2013. He was also the Minister for Finances from 1989-2009.
By the time he left office, he was the longest-serving head
of any national govt in the EU and one of the longest-serving
democratically elected leaders in the world, with his tenure
encompassing the height of the European financial and sovereign
debt crisis. From 2005-13, he served as the first permanent
President of the Eurogroup.

His father, Joseph, was a steel worker and Christian trade
unionist who was forcibly conscripted into the German Wehrmacht,
following the Nazi occupation. Juncker has often remarked that
the horrors of war he heard from his father's experiences had
a profound influence in shaping his views on the need for
European reconciliation and integration. His mother was born
Marguerite Hecker. He studied at the Roman Catholic "école
apostolique", before returning to Luxembourg to study for his
Baccalaureate at the Lycée Michel Rodange. He joined the
Christian Social People's Party in 1974. He studied law at the
Univ of Strasbourg, graduating with a master's in 1979; although
he was sworn into the Luxembourg Bar Council in 1980, he never
practised as a lawyer.

Juncker was one of 12 children in a large household where money
was tight. His father was heavily wounded during his service at
the Eastern Front in Russia, which left him visibly scared.
Throughout his life Joseph Juncker was also as a member in the
Christian Labour union, he took his son to several union and
party meetings, which made an impact on his son political views
already in his early days. Coming from a poor family, it was a
key aspect of his political ideology to fight social inequalities,
strive for equal opportunities and fairness amongst all people.
He had to learn from a quite young age, that saving money is a
valuable asset. This skill of economizing assets came in handy
in his later position as minister of finance.

Shortly before the 1989 election Juncker was seriously injured
in a road accident, spending two weeks in a coma. He has stated
that the accident has caused him difficulty with balancing since.

In early Nov 2014, just days after becoming head of the Commission,
Juncker was hit by media disclosures€”derived from a document leak
known as LuxLeaks€”that Luxembourg under his premiership had turned
into a major European centre of corporate tax avoidance.

During his tenure, Juncker also oversaw the 2014 opening of
the Luxembourg Freeport, which former German Member of Euro
Parliament Wolf Klinz dubbed "fertile ground for money laundering
and tax evasion". In Mar 2015, Juncker called for the formation of
a European army, because "a common army among the Europeans would
convey to Russia that we are serious about defending the values
of the EU".

In August 2016, Juncker received criticism over his remarks on
immigration at the European Forum Alpbach in Austria. During his
speech, Juncker, a supporter of Angela Merkel's open door response
to the European migrant crisis, made news by telling the audience
that "borders are the worst invention ever made by politicians".

Upon hearing the news of Cuban leader Fidel Castro's death in
Dec 2016, Juncker said, "With the death of Fidel Castro, the
world has lost a man who was a hero for many."

On 4 May 2018, Juncker attended and spoke at an event commemorating
Karl Marx's 200th birthday. Critics accused Juncker of insulting
the victims of communism.

Juncker suffers from sciatica attacks following a 1989 car
accident, which cause him occasional unsteadiness while walking.
A video of Juncker stumbling and receiving assistance from several
EU politicians at a NATO leaders' event in July 2018 prompted
comments about his health, though his spokesman dismissed the concerns.

Speculations about alcoholism surrounded Juncker for several years
and have been discussed by several high-profile EU politicians.
In 2014, Jeroen Dijsselbloem, at the time Dutch Minister of
Finance, described Juncker in an interview as a "heavy smoker
and drinker", but later apologized for his comments. Juncker
himself has always denied these allegations in interviews.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually its not deliberate its the usual problem of nobody knows how to do
it yet, since the paperwork is impenetrable.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 22:41:28 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

There seem to be a minority who really seem to think we are 'Great
Britain', rather than the 'Arrogant Britain' who have been taking
liberties around the world for ages .. like some spoilt / kid.

Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

I bet you are wrong re your 'most'.

It's just the same with all those who incorrectly say 'Robin Reliant'
because they see the word 'reliant' to mean 'reliable, dependable'
rather than it *just* being the brand name (even if 'it' also carried
that inference). Reliant (marque), Robin (model). ('Most' don't know
why the name Reliant was used by Tom Williams either).

It's like saying 'I have a Ford Escort Turbo' where you are trying to
emphasise the word 'turbo' to imply 'fast / good / fancy' (when the
fact that it had a turbo had no bearing on the fact is was a Ford
Escort and not a Porsche or Trabant).

I question that 'most' would give you an accurate definition of
Britain, Great Britain, England and United Kingdom and how the usage
of each can change depending on if you are talking formally,
informally, politically or geographically, let alone the difference
between being in the EU or Europe or what sovereignty actually means.

Unfortunately these same people are allowed to vote. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too - especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Don't know why they bother. BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.