Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 13:06:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I recall a New Zealand article how we single handedly decimated their
exports. I hope there has been sufficient passage of time for forgiveness
on what we did to their economy.

Fraid not. We still talk about it in Australia too.

Yeah, of course, you have to contradict, you abnormal, auto-contradicting,
senile cretin from Oz!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:52:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There are two sides to that!

If leavers were right, things will settle down in time and the country
will do fine.

If remainers were right it'll get worse.

In either case, it's too early to tell.

And massively complicated by the virus.

For all sides, senile wiseacre. Do you EVER think before you open your
abnormal auto-contradicting senile gob? Or do you produce all your senile
**** automatically, with you having no control over it?

--
More senile "wisdom" from the senile Australian bull**** artist:
"Some things are much harder to do than others."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 12:19:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tried to order something from Europe..

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 13:20:53 UTC, tim... wrote:
"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce
free trade deal with.

as I have explained elsewhere

An FTA only affects commercial wholesale importation

it has no effect on domestic retail importation

domestic retail importation is still subject to the rules that local (UK)
VAT should be paid on the item, and where appropriate, import duty
Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have
free trade deal with China...

because the HK company is "winging it" hoping that the package wont be
intercepted and duty applied.
The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

No, the rules are at our end

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

you mean - our domestic shippers apply the rules more thoroughly that
other
countries

probably because it gives them an opportunity to whack on a extortionate
handling fee

The issue that I am seeing is companies being unwilling to register with
the UK's HMRC for VAT.

well yes

but that's teething problem that should go away as:

a) people understand that they have to
b) HMG make it easier because the realise that they have made it too damn
hard

but the point is that this HK company should also have registered with UK
HMRC

but have they?

Or are they just relying on the fact that they have "got away with it in the
past" because when sitting in a amongst a pile of other foreign mail, this
HK parcel will go unchecked

But that won't happen anymore because now, all of the foreign mail has to be
checked as well

Thus, they have problems sending lower value goods to the UK. If they
operate any sort of online portal, there is no choice, they must register.
I suspect many carriers will refuse to accept unless the VAT has been
sorted.

there is the option of using one of the "marketplaces" (there a legal term
for this which I forget.) and then you don't need to individually register.

Over GBP 135, it appears that they can get the carrier to collect the VAT
(and duty, if applicable). But at extra cost (likely to the recipient on
or before delivery).

It appears some major portals, like Aliexpress and iHerb, are adding the
VAT and it is no practical issue.

as the legislation requires then to do

But for smaller companies, it could be quite an overhead.

yup

so these smaller companies have a choice of selling via a market place

this will see a small margin taken from them (presumably market forces will
see competition drive down margins here)

but it's bound to be better than no sales at all

and IMHO it's likely to be better for consumers as well, because they will
be better protected from Chinese knock-offs

At the expense of slightly higher prices.

tim

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

I'd love to know where you got that figure (most) from. But it certainly
shows just how out of touch with reality you are.

surely the term Great(er) Britain

refers to the Island of Britain plus its associated near shore islands

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 18:59, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:42:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, the point being that the EU is not allowing that to happen

Did you remind them the UK holds all the cards ?

it doesn't seem to matter that they are signing their death warrant.

You and the other remoaners seem to think I am complaining. I am not. I am
aghast that the EU should essentially stop its smaller companies exporting
to its biggest export market.

Like I said. it is cutting off their nose...

and I'm surprised that they are stopping their companies from buying our
stuff with petty-fogging complains about full stops not being in the right
place

It may be true that XYZ GMBH can buy their widgets from elsewhere, but they
can't turn that supply on in zero time to replace the order that UK PLC
tried to deliver today but is currently sitting in a customs office whilst
officials ague over form filling.

and the reality is that very many widgets can already be supplied by ROW at
much cheaper prices than the UK can supply, but companies don't buy from
these sources because quality can be iffy.

So the argument that the paperwork puts up the UK costs doesn't wash.

were it not for reduced demand because of Covid, EU companies would be
hurting because of this supply issue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

I'd love to know where you got that figure (most) from. But it certainly
shows just how out of touch with reality you are.

surely the term Great(er) Britain

refers to the Island of Britain plus its associated near shore islands

No. The term you're thinking of is the "British Isles" which is a geographical
term covering Britain and Ireland and islands. It is not a political term (bit
like Scandinavia, I suppose).

Britain = England + Wales + Scotland.
UK = Britain + NI.

"Great Britain" is Wales England and Scotland, which is why the UK is
actually the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and Northern Ireland

There is no geographical or political entity of 'Britain'
It is just a short form of 'Great Britain'

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 00:20:30 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

Perfectly normal for developed nations of the time.

Understood, but how many are playing on those days with the whole
'Great' thing (and the point)?

Judging historical
actions against modern morals makes no sense.

And using them as a boasting tool are equally so then?

The people taking those
actions were living in a totally different moral environment and acted
according to it.

Of course, like 'Live stock today' etc.

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage of
the industrial revolution.

And few continue to play on that, quite the opposite in all the 'owned
nations' that are reclaiming their independence.

Simply, that was the way it was.

Yup, but we are talking 'now'.

It's the *exact* same thing as putting up statues of slave traders
*now*.

No, you can't change history (and shouldn't try) but there are things
that people can be proud about and others less so.

Pushing the 'Great' part of Great Britain in the context of 'Look how
great we are' isn't one of them.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:04:42 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

It may be true that XYZ GMBH can buy their widgets from elsewhere, but they
can't turn that supply on in zero time to replace the order that UK PLC
tried to deliver today but is currently sitting in a customs office whilst
officials ague over form filling.

and the reality is that very many widgets can already be supplied by ROW at
much cheaper prices than the UK can supply, but companies don't buy from
these sources because quality can be iffy.

But any EU country requiring JIT supply who used to use the UK will
now look to other suppliers in the EU, where the quality is likely to
be the same, the pricing / quality similar but the delivery more
predictable.

So the argument that the paperwork puts up the UK costs doesn't wash.

It's puts up JIT supply 'costs', if you have to buy / stock more
locally to overcomes any delays.

were it not for reduced demand because of Covid, EU companies would be
hurting because of this supply issue

Except there are another 2* EU countries, many of whom can and do
supply a similar range of products we can / do and they will pick up
that trade. Or the UK based manufacturer / manufacturing / retailing
will move into the EU (as per JD Sports). Once lost we will never (and
not be able to) get it back.

Whist we were part of the team, we were given allowances, now we
aren't many will see no point in bothering with the extra ag of
getting stuff on / off this island and so won't bother.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 09:51, tim... wrote:

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 13:20:53 UTC, tim... wrote:
"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we
havce a
free trade deal with.
as I have explained elsewhere

An FTA only affects commercial wholesale importation

it has no effect on domestic retail importation

domestic retail importation is still subject to the rules that local
(UK)
VAT should be paid on the item, and where appropriate, import duty
Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't
have a
[...]

It will become perfectly normal and settle in - it has to as we are only
the forerunner and the EU is implementing a similar system (later this
year I think), so companies all over the world will be getting to grips
with it. Many other countries will probably implement similar systems,
so EU companies are themselves going to then have to get used to doing it.

Sensibly, countries could all agree to do it using the same front-end
system, but of course they won't. I am sure it won't be long before some
service companies are set up to provide a simple front end that
interfaces to different countries' systems, so that a company can deal
all over the world, without having to worry about learning each and
every front end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:24, Steve Walker wrote:
Sensibly, countries could all agree to do it using the same front-end
system, but of course they won't. I am sure it won't be long before some
service companies are set up to provide a simple front end that
interfaces to different countries' systems, so that a company can deal
all over the world, without having to worry about learning each and
every front end.

Countries and business like to encourage trade, The EU likes to stifle it.

Otherwise why would anyone want to stay a part of it?

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 10:44, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 00:20:30 +0000, Steve Walker

snip

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage of
the industrial revolution.

And few continue to play on that, quite the opposite in all the 'owned
nations' that are reclaiming their independence.

Quite, it's called the race / slave card.

Simply, that was the way it was.

Yup, but we are talking 'now'.

It's the *exact* same thing as putting up statues of slave traders
*now*.

We put up a statue of a convicted terrorist in Parliament Square.

Same difference.

No, you can't change history (and shouldn't try) but there are things
that people can be proud about and others less so.

You can, you can say the first sound recording was in Paris some decades
before Edison.

Pushing the 'Great' part of Great Britain in the context of 'Look how
great we are' isn't one of them.

It sounds as if you don't want to live here. Have you considered emigrating?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:08, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:04:42 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

It may be true that XYZ GMBH can buy their widgets from elsewhere, but they
can't turn that supply on in zero time to replace the order that UK PLC
tried to deliver today but is currently sitting in a customs office whilst
officials ague over form filling.

and the reality is that very many widgets can already be supplied by ROW at
much cheaper prices than the UK can supply, but companies don't buy from
these sources because quality can be iffy.

But any EU country requiring JIT supply who used to use the UK will
now look to other suppliers in the EU, where the quality is likely to
be the same, the pricing / quality similar but the delivery more
predictable.

So the argument that the paperwork puts up the UK costs doesn't wash.

It's puts up JIT supply 'costs', if you have to buy / stock more
locally to overcomes any delays.

Nearly all JIT suppliers keep a modest buffer stock near to the assembly
plant. That's not going to change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote
Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 12/02/2021 22:20, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 13:12:18 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain"
refers
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too -
especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would
likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.

Only if it didn't have a history of using that as a lever against
other nations and in so doing build up a reputation that most are glad
they don't have?

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

Perfectly normal for developed nations of the time.

Yeah, specially during the mega colonial empire
building era where most european countrys were
grabbing anything that hadn't already been grabbed.

The main exception was germany but that was only because
it was about the last of the majors to become a nation.

They had a few footholds in Africa, though

And in the pacific, and even in china. Interesting
reading Tirpitz memoirs in that regard.

Judging historical actions against modern morals makes no sense.

But the opium wars still leave a very bad taste even now.

The people taking those actions were living in a totally different
moral environment and acted according to it.

Yep, and britain itself was in fact invaded and enslaved by plenty.

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage
of the industrial revolution.

Same with the polynesians.

Simply, that was the way it was.

Same with slavery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

They were hardly too late or too little with vaccines.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

Yes, they seem less affected and their first lockdown was March 2020.
They effectively contained the virus but there were lots of noises about
hardship and the hit on the economy.

One reason cited for the late initial lockdown in the UK was that
lockdown would be observed for a finite time, and after people would
ignore instructions.

I would have preferred greater enforcement where travel has to be
sanctioned in advance and to be the exception rather than the rule but
there seems little appetite for such, as indeed demonstrated in these
groups.

Facemasks also aren't enforced where some trivial excuse like having
mental illness or asthma is all that is needed to avoid wearing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 05:48:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:24, Steve Walker wrote:
Sensibly, countries could all agree to do it using the same front-end
system, but of course they won't. I am sure it won't be long before some
service companies are set up to provide a simple front end that
interfaces to different countries' systems, so that a company can deal
all over the world, without having to worry about learning each and every
front end.

Countries and business like to encourage trade, The EU likes to stifle it.

Mindlessly silly with trade within the EU.

Otherwise why would anyone want to stay a part of it?

The EU has always been about more than just trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 13/02/2021 10:44, T i m wrote:
[...]

No one is silly enough to have him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 21:56, Tim Streater wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 19:11:33 GMT, Fredxx wrote:

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

They were hardly too late or too little with vaccines.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

Yes, they seem less affected and their first lockdown was March 2020.
They effectively contained the virus but there were lots of noises about
hardship and the hit on the economy.

One reason cited for the late initial lockdown in the UK was that
lockdown would be observed for a finite time, and after people would
ignore instructions.

Which is essentially what is happening now. Went food shopping in Morrisons
today. No one social distancing, people just walking around any old how.
everyone had a mask though, although that is easy to arrange.

Quite, I find it quite sad when some seem to use the blame game at every
opportunity whereas in many instances these decisions were based on
sound scientific reasoning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Fredxx wrote

The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

Hardly bringing country to its knees.

They were hardly too late or too little with vaccines.

But were with infected coming into the
country and there were other terminal
stupiditys like eat out to help out.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

Yes, they seem less affected

Vastly less affected with deaths per million
due to the virus. Taiwan in spades.

and their first lockdown was March 2020.

They effectively contained the virus but there were lots of noises about
hardship and the hit on the economy.

But the reality is that the economy was in fact
affected less than the UK was. Same with Sweden,
their immense death rate still saw the just as badly
affected as the UK or USA, so they got all those corpses
for nothing except more room in nursing homes.

One reason cited for the late initial lockdown in the UK was that lockdown
would be observed for a finite time, and after people would ignore
instructions.

That isnt in fact what happened in
NZ or Taiwan or Korea or China.

So it was always bull**** with lots more
corpses than there needed to be.

The other mega****up was shipping infected
people from hospitals to care homes without
even bothering to test if they were infected.

I would have preferred greater enforcement where travel has to be
sanctioned in advance

It would have been much better to stop it completely
or force all those travelling to quarantine after arriving.
Thats what NZ did and it worked very well indeed.

and to be the exception rather than the rule but there seems little
appetite for such, as indeed demonstrated in these groups.

Facemasks also aren't enforced where some trivial excuse like having
mental illness or asthma is all that is needed to avoid wearing them.

Yes, that was stupid given how easy it is
to claim that if you dont want to wear one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Waitrose wouldn't let me in on Friday, till 15 people had left....social
distancing being respected, if not 100% observed everywhere.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 11:01:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile Australian pest's latest troll**** unread

It's ALL absolutely NONE of yours, you obnoxious senile Ozzie ****!

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

They were hardly too late or too little with vaccines.

So they actually got one thing right. Good to see you being so defensive.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

Yes, they seem less affected and their first lockdown was March 2020.
They effectively contained the virus but there were lots of noises about
hardship and the hit on the economy.

One reason cited for the late initial lockdown in the UK was that
lockdown would be observed for a finite time, and after people would
ignore instructions.

I would have preferred greater enforcement where travel has to be
sanctioned in advance and to be the exception rather than the rule but
there seems little appetite for such, as indeed demonstrated in these
groups.

Facemasks also aren't enforced where some trivial excuse like having
mental illness or asthma is all that is needed to avoid wearing them.

It was the total lack of taking heed of their experts in the late
autumn/winter that is the most damning.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

I'd love to know where you got that figure (most) from. But it
certainly
shows just how out of touch with reality you are.

surely the term Great(er) Britain

refers to the Island of Britain plus its associated near shore islands

No. The term you're thinking of is the "British Isles" which is a
geographical
term covering Britain and Ireland and islands. It is not a political term
(bit
like Scandinavia, I suppose).

No it's not (what I am thinking)

precisely because "The British Isles" includes the country of Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:04:42 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

It may be true that XYZ GMBH can buy their widgets from elsewhere, but
they
can't turn that supply on in zero time to replace the order that UK PLC
tried to deliver today but is currently sitting in a customs office whilst
officials ague over form filling.

and the reality is that very many widgets can already be supplied by ROW
at
much cheaper prices than the UK can supply, but companies don't buy from
these sources because quality can be iffy.

But any EU country requiring JIT supply who used to use the UK will
now look to other suppliers in the EU, where the quality is likely to
be the same, the pricing / quality similar but the delivery more
predictable.

very probably

but why aren't the doing that at the moment?

If finding an alternative supplier is just Oh so easy?

So the argument that the paperwork puts up the UK costs doesn't wash.

It's puts up JIT supply 'costs', if you have to buy / stock more
locally to overcomes any delays.

were it not for reduced demand because of Covid, EU companies would be
hurting because of this supply issue

Except there are another 2* EU countries, many of whom can and do
supply a similar range of products we can / do and they will pick up
that trade.

so why are they not doing so at the moment

many E Europe countries have a (nominal) NMW one fifth of ours

Or the UK based manufacturer / manufacturing / retailing
will move into the EU (as per JD Sports). Once lost we will never (and
not be able to) get it back.

Whist we were part of the team, we were given allowances,

by multinationals in other countries

of course we weren't

They will change supplier at the drop of a hat, if they can get a better
deal elsewhere

now we
aren't many will see no point in bothering with the extra ag of
getting stuff on / off this island and so won't bother.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

NZ is not the slightest bit comparable with the UK (from a Covid pov)

It is geographically the same size as the UK with one tenth the population

Its nearest trading partner is 2000 miles away (yes I was surprised it was
that far too)

consequently it can close its borders and be 100% self sufficient if it
needs to be

If it does need to trade it can make sure that it is all funnelled through
one port with strict rules about quarantining the crew

If we closed our borders to 100% of imports, the population would starve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable
of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU",

Very simple. By the way they've handled this pandemic. Constantly too
little too late.

Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

NZ is not the slightest bit comparable with the UK (from a Covid pov)

It is geographically the same size as the UK with one tenth the
population

UK is closer to 13 times population.

Its nearest trading partner is 2000 miles away (yes I was surprised it
was that far too)

consequently it can close its borders and be 100% self sufficient if it
needs to be

If it does need to trade it can make sure that it is all funnelled
through one port with strict rules about quarantining the crew

If we closed our borders to 100% of imports, the population would starve

And NZ doesn't have a major transport hub (Heathrow) with people wanting
transit.

The small population in a similar land area is what is the major
advantage.

But clearly isnt the reason that china did vastly better than the UK.

And it has a major transport hub too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 06:44:43 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

The small population in a similar land area is what is the major
advantage.

But clearly isnt the reason that china did vastly better than the UK.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile sociopath?
BG

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?
man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:40:27 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:
snip

But any EU country requiring JIT supply who used to use the UK will
now look to other suppliers in the EU, where the quality is likely to
be the same, the pricing / quality similar but the delivery more
predictable.

very probably

but why aren't the doing that at the moment?

If finding an alternative supplier is just Oh so easy?

Because in some cases the 'bigger picture' means (meant) that they
were getting the optimal solution from the UK. Product (design,
reliability, documentation, support, historic, price and *delivery*)
but it only takes a hit to *one of them* to relegate it to non-optimal
and they go elsewhere (and never come back).

Re 'historic, there is likely to be some 'No one got fired buying IBM'
.... till they buy 'Next best option' and find it's actually 'better'.

It's far easier to keep a customer / supplier than it is to find new
ones.

snip

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

wanting to
transit.

The small population in a similar land area is what is the major
advantage.

But clearly isnt the reason that china did vastly better than the UK.

And it has a major transport hub too.

That's the advantage of being a totalitarian country: anyone who disagrees
doesn't just get a fine, they are thrown in the slammer.

That isn't what happened in Wuhan and Hubei.

Wuhan had hard lockdown with roadblocks.

But no one was thrown in the slammer.

A few had their front door quite literally welded shut which
works quite well when everyone has barred windows.

The reality is that the chinese are much more obedient except in HongKong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 14 Feb 2021 at 19:44:43 GMT, "Fred" wrote:

But clearly isnt the reason that china did vastly better than the UK.

And it has a major transport hub too.

Also their pop density is about half that of UK (never mind England).

Thats not true of Wuhan and Hubei.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 08:10:53 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

NZ is not the slightest bit comparable with the UK (from a Covid pov)

It is geographically the same size as the UK with one tenth the population

Its nearest trading partner is 2000 miles away (yes I was surprised it was
that far too)

consequently it can close its borders and be 100% self sufficient if it
needs to be

So just to be clear. You're saying NZ contained Covid by stopping all
imports and exports, including food etc?

Or are you simply following the BoJo line? Anything to excuse the near
highest death rate in the world is valid.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
The small population in a similar land area is what is the major
advantage.

Are you actually saying they don't have large cities? That is where it
spread the quickest. Not in rural areas.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Since you've already mentioned NZ, another island state, look at how
they've handled it.

NZ is not the slightest bit comparable with the UK (from a Covid pov)

It is geographically the same size as the UK with one tenth the
population

Its nearest trading partner is 2000 miles away (yes I was surprised it
was
that far too)

consequently it can close its borders and be 100% self sufficient if it
needs to be

So just to be clear. You're saying NZ contained Covid by stopping all
imports and exports, including food etc?

Or are you simply following the BoJo line? Anything to excuse the near
highest death rate in the world is valid.

It isn't the highest death rate in the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 12:32:05 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

It isn't the highest death rate in the world.

BRUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:40:16 +0000, Richard

He actually said:
The small population in a similar land area is what is the major
advantage.

HTH

Of course it doesn't because you are missing *the point* .;-(

Just because there is a smaller population overall (per surface area)
doesn't mean the population density (= Covid transmission risk) isn't
very similar to a country with a larger or smaller general population
or landmass.

Even if there was a lot of spare space between the cities, the chances
are people aren't going to move out of the cities, even temporarily
(and often can't because of movement restrictions).

Irrespective of the living densities, the people still often need to
go shopping and because of the distances / high densities, can't get
home deliveries.

HTH.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx
writes
On 13/02/2021 00:03, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/02/2021 22:17, Fred wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
* Tim Streater wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:49:28 GMT, Bob Martin
wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

* The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
* That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for.* Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the
ballot paper.

I take it you don't remember what was on the ballot paper?

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained
independence, that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made
trade difficult for the new nations.

It take a true Tory to equate the British Empire with the EU.

But in any case when the BE fell apart so
did free trade between those countries.

Bull**** it did.

Correct. Trade with ex-empire, Commonwealth countries collapsed when
we joined the Common Market/EEC/EC/EU and were stuck with
protectionist tariffs and quotas.

I recall a New Zealand article how we single handedly decimated their
exports. I hope there has been sufficient passage of time for
forgiveness on what we did to their economy.

They are quite keen to get back on board with a trade deal.
--
bert