Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tried to order something from Europe..

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Not so. They voted for what they were promised by Farage and BoJo, etc.
And when those promises haven't materialised the last ones they'll blame
is those who made those promises. Because that would admit to being conned.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:49:28 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the
ballot paper.

I take it you don't remember what was on the ballot paper?

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained
independence, that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made
trade difficult for the new nations.

It take a true Tory to equate the British Empire with the EU. But in any
case when the BE fell apart so did free trade between those countries.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Spike wrote:
On 11/02/2021 13:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2021 11:47, Spike wrote:

snip

Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

When did he actually say this? Can you provide a cite?

My recollection is that Juncker was shown making the remark in a TV news
report aired before the 2016 Referendum. I was struck at the time by the
demonstration of the EUSSR's line of thought, and have since been mildly
surprised that there appears little mention of it on the interweb.

To balance things up you might quote some of the more outrageous things
said by Farage and BoJo about the EU and consequences of us leaving? Fat
chance of that.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:

I voted for Brexit and knew there would be initial glitches. Once the
children on both sides have got tired, things will run smoothly.

It's some 4 years, pet. How much longer do you need? Just curious.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:42:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yes, the point being that the EU is not allowing that to happen

Did you remind them the UK holds all the cards ?

;-)

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:59:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

snip
....at the moment - many of the suppliers I used to buy from in the UK
have either stopped supplying to the EU, or are selling 'minus UK VAT'
and leaving it up to the couriers to work out local VAT, plus import
duties (20%), plus handling charges, before they deliver the items.

(One particular UK supplier that I have used quite frequently took until
3rd Feb to resume shipments to the EU..)

Net result - buying from the UK is not currently a cost-effective option..

Mate works for a Co in Denmark who supply, install and maintain fire
control systems. He said during the EU Ref circus that if there were
any extra delays or issues buying kit from the UK, they would simply
buy it all elsewhere.

Of course. Lots of small factories in the UK stamp out widgets to export
for cars. Which could be made anywhere. Make them more difficult to buy
and they'll simply go elsewhere. And there's little as difficult as
endless paperwork.

Enjoy that sovereignty....

There seem to be a minority who really seem to think we are 'Great
Britain', rather than the 'Arrogant Britain' who have been taking
liberties around the world for ages .. like some spoilt / kid.

Cheers, T i m

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

I'd love to know where you got that figure (most) from. But it certainly
shows just how out of touch with reality you are.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard wrote:

I voted for Brexit and knew there would be initial glitches. Once the
children on both sides have got tired, things will run smoothly.

It's some 4 years, pet. How much longer do you need? Just curious.

It is not 4 years since the beginning of this year yet, pet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Actually its not deliberate its the usual problem of nobody knows how to
do it yet, since the paperwork is impenetrable.

Bull****, aliexpress has worked out how to do it.

"We currently have no available shipping methods" With a bloc we havce a
free trade deal with.

Ordered them from Hong Kong instead. No problem although we don't have a
free trade deal with China...

The EU are behaving like sulky teenagers aren't they?

We are being treated worse than any other independent country.

Financial equivalence from te Telegraph..

"Mr Bailey said: "It would be reasonable to think that a common framework
of global standards combined with the common basis of the rules - since
the UK transposed EU rules from the outset - would be enough to base
equivalence on global standards. Less than this was enough when Canada,
the US, Australia, Hong Kong and Brazil were all deemed equivalent.

"The EU has argued it must better understand how the UK intends to amend
or alter the rules going forward. This is a standard that the EU holds
*no other country to* and would, I suspect, not agree to be held to
itself."

This stance only made sense, Mr Bailey said, if rules were either not
allowed to change - which the Bank chief called "unrealistic, dangerous
and inconsistent with practice" - or if Britain had to obtain Brussels'
permission to change the rules, which "is not acceptable".

The Governor said he did not want "a low regulation, high-risk, anything
goes financial centre and system", but that it was important rules could
be improved.

British regulations could be changed to free small, UK-only banks from
rules designed for international lenders, he said, something which is
common practice in the US and Switzerland, which are still deemed to be
equivalent by the EU.

Whitehall sources said that Mr Gove was expected to stress the need for
"urgent progress" on Northern Ireland, and for the EU to recognise the
problems being felt by businesses and people living in the region.

'A world in which the EU dictates what rules and standards we have in the
UK is not going to work' "

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? . Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Spike wrote:
On 11/02/2021 13:34, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/02/2021 11:47, Spike wrote:

snip

Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

When did he actually say this? Can you provide a cite?

My recollection is that Juncker was shown making the remark in a TV news
report aired before the 2016 Referendum. I was struck at the time by the
demonstration of the EUSSR's line of thought, and have since been mildly
surprised that there appears little mention of it on the interweb.

To balance things up you might quote some of the more outrageous things
said by Farage and BoJo about the EU and consequences of us leaving? Fat
chance of that.

Why the reply? I also remember some outrageous statements by some
established remainers?

I recall the atmosphere of revenge with us leaving. I was hoping Spike
might have provided some evidence that created this atmosphere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Don't know why they bother. BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU.

They have nothing on the destruction from Corbyn if he ever got into No 10.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Not so. They voted for what they were promised by Farage and BoJo, etc.
And when those promises haven't materialised the last ones they'll blame
is those who made those promises. Because that would admit to being conned.

I thought we were conned into believing Armageddon and economic meltdown.

Anything else can only be good news.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
In article ,
Richard wrote:

I voted for Brexit and knew there would be initial glitches. Once the
children on both sides have got tired, things will run smoothly.

It's some 4 years, pet. How much longer do you need? Just curious.

It is not 4 years since the beginning of this year yet, pet.

And its only been a month and a half
since the detail has become clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 13:12:18 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too - especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.

Only if it didn't have a history of using that as a lever against
other nations and in so doing build up a reputation that most are glad
they don't have?

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 21:16:09 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I thought we were conned into believing Armageddon and economic
meltdown.

WE are only 7 weeks in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb 2021 21:25:56 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 12 Feb 2021 at 15:09:43 GMT, "Dave Plowman News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Not so. They voted for what they were promised by Farage and BoJo, etc.

Your usual ********. I'd made my decision about our needing to leave the EU
****show by no loater than 2005 or so.

Yup, and you would be one of a tiny minority who had any opinion on it
(our membership of the EU) at all.

And your 'opinion' is based on a very tiny facet of the bigger
picture.

Dealing with that facet could well cost all of us way more than your
idealism will ever (hope to) resolve.

Well done you.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb 2021 21:23:48 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 12 Feb 2021 at 21:10:41 GMT, Fredxx wrote:

In article ,
Spike wrote:
[...]

And I remember the plagues of locusts which would descend upon us if we voted
Leave.

You remember it because you made it up.

All most of the people who decided to vote remain were concerned about
was that if you open the box it could be full of worms, that and not
having a good reason to risk what they had for something that was a
complete unknown and no real world facts about (in a tangible sense,
not all your idealism stuff).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:17:48 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:09:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And its only been a month and a half
since the detail has become clear.

It's been since 2007 that you've been known as a subnormal trolling senile
swine! Are you proud of it? Of course you are, senile Rodent! You ARE a
SOCIOPATH!

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Given that Great Britain is derived from the larger of two island and
from it's Latin name.

Only some weirdo fanatic with anyone they speak to called a mate would
think great equates to arrogance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 22:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 21:16:09 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I thought we were conned into believing Armageddon and economic
meltdown.

WE are only 7 weeks in.

There are two sides to that!

If leavers were right, things will settle down in time and the country
will do fine.

If remainers were right it'll get worse.

In either case, it's too early to tell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

* The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
* That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for.* Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the
ballot paper.

I take it you don't remember what was on the ballot paper?

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained
independence, that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made
trade difficult for the new nations.

It take a true Tory to equate the British Empire with the EU.

But in any case when the BE fell apart so
did free trade between those countries.

Bull**** it did.

Correct. Trade with ex-empire, Commonwealth countries collapsed when we
joined the Common Market/EEC/EC/EU and were stuck with protectionist
tariffs and quotas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers to
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too - especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.

Only if it didn't have a history of using that as a lever against
other nations and in so doing build up a reputation that most are glad
they don't have?

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

Perfectly normal for developed nations of the time. Judging historical
actions against modern morals makes no sense. The people taking those
actions were living in a totally different moral environment and acted
according to it.

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage of
the industrial revolution.

Simply, that was the way it was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Don't know why they bother. BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU.

They have nothing on the destruction from Corbyn if he ever got into No 10.

Perhaps you'd give us the benefit of your thoughts on a scenario where
that could happen? A HofC jolly to foreign parts filling a 747 which
crashed with everyone killed? Or even something more ridiculous?

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
And I remember the plagues of locusts which would descend upon us if we
voted Leave.

Let me quote one of your supporters, pet.

From: Richard
Subject: Tried to order something from Europe..
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 17:35
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

It is not 4 years since the beginning of this year yet, pet.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:
[...]

Yep, just like the impending Armageddon and economic meltdown your mates
prophesied.

All most of the people who decided to vote remain were concerned about
was that if you open the box it could be full of worms, that and not
having a good reason to risk what they had for something that was a
complete unknown and no real world facts about (in a tangible sense,
not all your idealism stuff).

So out of fear. That's not usually a route to a making a good choice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

* The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
* That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for.* Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the
ballot paper.

I take it you don't remember what was on the ballot paper?

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained
independence, that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made
trade difficult for the new nations.

It take a true Tory to equate the British Empire with the EU.

But in any case when the BE fell apart so
did free trade between those countries.

Bull**** it did.

Correct. Trade with ex-empire, Commonwealth countries collapsed when we
joined the Common Market/EEC/EC/EU and were stuck with protectionist
tariffs and quotas.

I recall a New Zealand article how we single handedly decimated their
exports. I hope there has been sufficient passage of time for
forgiveness on what we did to their economy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 22:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 21:16:09 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I thought we were conned into believing Armageddon and economic
meltdown.

WE are only 7 weeks in.

We were promised that immediately after the vote, not when we actiually
left.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12 Feb 2021 at 15:09:43 GMT, "Dave Plowman News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:
On 11 Feb 2021 at 11:33:24, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

Not so. They voted for what they were promised by Farage and BoJo, etc.

Your usual ********. I'd made my decision about our needing to leave the EU
****show by no loater than 2005 or so.

Yup, and you would be one of a tiny minority who had any opinion on it
(our membership of the EU) at all.

And your 'opinion' is based on a very tiny facet of the bigger
picture.

Dealing with that facet could well cost all of us way more than your
idealism will ever (hope to) resolve.

Well done you.

I would like to congratulate Tim too, and voting despite all the
fear-mongering many succumbed to.

Of course, the worst remainers are those who couldn't be arsed to vote
and still whinge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too - especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.

Only if it didn't have a history of using that as a lever against
other nations and in so doing build up a reputation that most are glad
they don't have?

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

That wasn't how India, America, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Scotland
Wales etc etc etc were done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Don't know why they bother. BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU.

They have nothing on the destruction from Corbyn if he ever got into No 10.

Perhaps you'd give us the benefit of your thoughts on a scenario where
that could happen? A HofC jolly to foreign parts filling a 747 which
crashed with everyone killed? Or even something more ridiculous?

I doubt it ever will, given he's now been replaced.

The issue is why you would think "BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU", not that
it's very likely, vs why you believe that Corbyn wouldn't make a greater
mess assuming there is one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I did think that when I saw the term Great France used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 12/02/2021 22:22, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 21:16:09 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I thought we were conned into believing Armageddon and economic
meltdown.

WE are only 7 weeks in.

There are two sides to that!

If leavers were right, things will settle down in time and the country
will do fine.

If remainers were right it'll get worse.

In either case, it's too early to tell.

And massively complicated by the virus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The EU has declared war on us hasn't it?
That's how scared they are that other nations will follow us.

It's what you voted for. Own it.

We voted for war with the EU? Funny, I don't recall that being on the
ballot paper.

I take it you don't remember what was on the ballot paper?

Neither do I recall that when British Empire countries gained
independence, that Britain and the rest of the Empire immediately made
trade difficult for the new nations.

It take a true Tory to equate the British Empire with the EU.

But in any case when the BE fell apart so
did free trade between those countries.

Bull**** it did.

Correct. Trade with ex-empire, Commonwealth countries collapsed when we
joined the Common Market/EEC/EC/EU and were stuck with protectionist
tariffs and quotas.

And he appears to be talking about trade between
commonwealth countries too. That didn’t collapse
with the end of empire either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Most of us know quite well that the "Great" in "Great Britain" refers
being bigger than "Brittany" and nothing more.

The government seem rather keen on emphasising otherwise:
https://www.greatbritaincampaign.com/

There's nothing wrong with using great in other senses too - especially
when it ties in with the title of the mainland part of the UK, the
Olympics team, etc. Any country that had Great in its name would likely
take the opportunity for "advertising" in such a way.

Only if it didn't have a history of using that as a lever against
other nations and in so doing build up a reputation that most are glad
they don't have?

Look as us, we are 'Great' from Great Britain. Have his mirror in
exchange for your land / produce / minerals / oil / people to enslave

Perfectly normal for developed nations of the time.

Yeah, specially during the mega colonial empire
building era where most european countrys were
grabbing anything that hadn't already been grabbed.

The main exception was germany but that was only because
it was about the last of the majors to become a nation.

Judging historical actions against modern morals makes no sense.

But the opium wars still leave a very bad taste even now.

The people taking those actions were living in a totally different moral
environment and acted according to it.

Yep, and britain itself was in fact invaded and enslaved by plenty.

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage of
the industrial revolution.

Same with the polynesians.

Simply, that was the way it was.

Same with slavery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Spike wrote:
Don't forget that that nice, amiable Jean-Claude Juncker, who at the
time was General Secretary and Head of the EU Supreme Soviet, said "If
you leave, we will hurt you".

We are now seeing this in action. Expect more of the same.

Don't know why they bother. BoJo and pals are perfectly capable of
bringing this country to its knees without help from the EU.

They have nothing on the destruction from Corbyn if he ever got into No
10.

Perhaps you'd give us the benefit of your thoughts on a scenario where
that could happen?

A renationalisation of almost everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Fraid not. We still talk about it in Australia too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/02/2021 11:02, Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

They had a few footholds in Africa, though

Judging historical actions against modern morals makes no sense.

But the opium wars still leave a very bad taste even now.

The people taking those actions were living in a totally different
moral environment and acted according to it.

Yep, and britain itself was in fact invaded and enslaved by plenty.

France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Greece, etc. all had
there own empires. As did middle Eastern nations. African "nations"
conquered, killed and enslaved others, but did not have the advantage
of the industrial revolution.

Same with the polynesians.

Simply, that was the way it was.

Same with slavery.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 13:04:20 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent: