Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glasses for close-up work?

I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

Unfortunately, they seem to be a bit weak on the hinge and bridge and
short of gluing the arms in place on the ones that have gone on the
hinge, they are obviously a bit vulnerable in general (compared with
the generic all-plastic readers I have on now, wear for everything
else and have probably had for a couple of years).

So I've ordered another pair of plan 4x glasses cheap off ebay but I
wondered if you use and can recommend anything that might be both more
durable and more magnifying, especially for those much smaller jobs?
(Like I just repaired a long string of tiny white LED lights for our
daughter that have 3 very fine coated wires going to LEDs every 100mm
or so that are in what looks like blobs of resin. I really couldn't
see with any detail so had to set it up with a magnifying glass and
then solder and hope). ;-(

Now, when I first got the X4's I couldn't safely walk about with them
on but I seem to have got accustomed to them and now often do ...
rather than bothering to take them off and my readers back on (just to
go between house and workshop and back etc), so I think I'll try and
stick with a pair (or couple of pairs) of basic x4's for that reason.

However, I think I'd also like something that's also head worn (so
you keep your hands free and can get the focus right) and a bit more
powerful?

I'm not sure if it/they would go over my std readers or would be used
instead? Do they mist up ... are they light, easy to take on and off,
is having illumination built in a good idea etc etc.

For *really* micro / desktop type work (sm component / track repairs)
I have a USB microscope but that's really too inflexible for most
everyday stuff (and makes my fine tipped soldering iron look like the
end of a scaffold pole). ;-(

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These go
on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go on
top of your readers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 20:21:19 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

Have you considered using two pairs of glasses at once? Like I'm
wearing now. As seen on 'The Repair Shop'.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:30, GB wrote:
I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These go
on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go on
top of your readers?

I use ugly (but who is going to see em) and large +3.5 readers from
poundland. being relatively new to any form of glasses the worrying
thing is how close my head has to be to the subject for these large
magnification to be in focus. OK with a screwdriver, not so good with a
soldering iron.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:49, Chris B wrote:
On 03/11/2020 20:30, GB wrote:
I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These
go on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go
on top of your readers?

I use ugly (but who is going to see em) and large +3.5 readers from
poundland.Â* being relatively new to any form of glasses the worrying
thing is how close my head has to be to the subject for these large
magnification to be in focus.Â* OK with a screwdriver, not so good with a
soldering iron.

Out of interest I just did a search for poundland specs to see if they
did anything higher than +3.5. (Seems not)

Having found the readers page I thought to search by magnification - not
an option but I could search by price from High to low or From low -
high. Didn't make much change to the listing order :-))

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

In true DIY style a relatively cheap x3 loupe with a piece of bent wire
threaded through to allow it to clip onto my glasses. Sacrificing
binocular vision for high magnification to inspect solder joints. Tow
drilled holes and a spot of epoxy completes the job.

For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m

For very close fine work I have a x10 loupe.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

I'm intrigued how that works, optically. How would a high positive-dioptre
lens (reading glasses) close to a lower positive-dioptre lens (distance
glasses) increase the effective power of the reading glasses to give greater
magnification and/or allow you to focus closer to the work? I've just tried
it with my reading and distance glasses (both with reading and with distance
glasses closer to my eyes) and it makes no difference to magnification or
closeness of focussing

I'll have to watch The Repair Shop and see if I'm doing it correctly...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/11/2020 21:24, Martin Brown wrote:
On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

In true DIY style a relatively cheap x3 loupe with a piece of bent wire
threaded through to allow it to clip onto my glasses. Sacrificing
binocular vision for high magnification to inspect solder joints. Tow
drilled holes and a spot of epoxy completes the job.

For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m

For very close fine work I have a x10 loupe.

Various types available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnifier...kAAOSwz3Je-a3j
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
[...]

I used a clip on magnifier on my specs which I could flip up or down as required. Similar to these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Gla.../dp/B07WW3J4ZN

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:30, GB wrote:
I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These
go on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go
on top of your readers?

I use ugly (but who is going to see em) and large +3.5 readers from
poundland.Â* being relatively new to any form of glasses the worrying
thing is how close my head has to be to the subject for these large
magnification to be in focus.Â* OK with a screwdriver, not so good with a
soldering iron.

Out of interest I just did a search for poundland specs to see if they
did anything higher than +3.5. (Seems not)

Having found the readers page I thought to search by magnification - not
an option but I could search by price from High to low or From low -
high. Didn't make much change to the listing order :-))

I have read there is a legal limit - 4.00. But it isn't entirely clear if 4..00 is the highest allowed or the lowest not allowed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

snip

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m

The problem with using strong reading glasses for this is that while
they sort out the focussing, you still need both your eyes pointing
inwards at a close object. This can cause strain and headaches.

Ideally, you'd need lenses with some 'prism' to allow you eyes to be
relaxed, but this isn't reading glasses. Maybe the repair shop man has
special glasses.

Head mounted magnifiers do this (at least, mine do) but I mostly use a
binocular (aka stereo) microscope - 10x is good. Good quality second
hand for £100 or new for possibly less but cheaper quality. Or very
much more. Even a cheap one is much better than glasses or loupes.

This sort of power is sometimes called a 'dissection microscope'. I
wouldn't be without mine. A long reach is good.

Here's a cheap one, eBay 303745343001

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:30:41 +0000, GB
wrote:

I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These go
on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go on
top of your readers?

I've just checked my readers (with my x8 loupe) and they are 2.5 and I
wear them for all day for everything. The last time I had an eye test
(not that long ago) my prescription came out about that for reading
and I actually had some glasses made to that prescription but never
really worse them (too heavy and restrictive compared with these all
plastic eBay readers). ;-(

I also had some made for driving and another for more close up work
but I haven't worn them either. Whatever gain I might get optically is
offset by the inconvenience of the other facets.

It's only when putting other glasses on do I realise just how much I
rely on *all* the facets of these cheapy plastic readers. They never
just fall off, they are really light and being frameless, don't
obstruct my peripheral vision in any direction.

The X4's are (were, while they lasted) 'ok', but not quite strong
enough for anything but a slightly better close-up of stuff. Like,
when servicing the front brake caliper from daughters new (21 year
old) motorcycle the other day, I wanted to scrape the corrosion out of
the dust seal groove and whilst the X4's allowed me to do so to a
greater level of clarity / detail than my std readers, I really could
have done with a bit more magnification (and light).

It's like not feeling I'm able to judge what I'm doing as accurately
as I would like, as I would want to do ... (so end up doing more of it
by feel or sound that I might normally).

I think I have tried wearing two pairs of glasses at once but don't
remember it giving me the sort of level of detail I would like?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 20:49:01 +0000, Chris B wrote:

On 03/11/2020 20:30, GB wrote:
I bought a very large pair of x3 glasses (at a car boot sale). These go
on top of my main specs. Could you not find a pair of similar to go on
top of your readers?

I use ugly (but who is going to see em) and large +3.5 readers from
poundland. being relatively new to any form of glasses the worrying
thing is how close my head has to be to the subject for these large
magnification to be in focus.

Yeah, I guess.

OK with a screwdriver, not so good with a
soldering iron.

;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:06:43 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

Having found the readers page I thought to search by magnification - not
an option but I could search by price from High to low or From low -
high. Didn't make much change to the listing order :-))

I have read there is a legal limit - 4.00.

Eh, why?

But it isn't entirely clear if 4.00 is the highest allowed or the lowest not allowed!

Why would there be a need for it to be either?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2020 20:45:30 +0000, Dave W
wrote:

snip

What do you use?

Have you considered using two pairs of glasses at once?

I have but don't remember it working very well Dave?

Like I'm
wearing now. As seen on 'The Repair Shop'.

Yeah, I've noticed that ... so are yours both just 'normal' glasses?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:24:53 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

In true DIY style a relatively cheap x3 loupe with a piece of bent wire
threaded through to allow it to clip onto my glasses. Sacrificing
binocular vision for high magnification to inspect solder joints.

I use an 8X loupe or viewer thing (a lens in a plastic holder with a
clear skirt underneath that if you put it on something, would keep it
at the right focal length (well, you have to lift it up a bit)).

Tow
drilled holes and a spot of epoxy completes the job.

Sounds a goodun. ;-)

For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

I'll have to give that another go as there seem to be a few here doing
similar. Maybe when I tried it it worked but just not enough to get
the sort of magnification I am looking for?

For very close fine work I have a x10 loupe.

Yeah, my X8 is pretty good (with (or without) my 2.5 readers) for
inspecting solder joints ... just not really 'live enough for the
sorts of things I might be doing.

Like, when I was scraping the corrosion out of the groove that holds
the dust seal on the motorcycle brake caliper the other day ... I was
wearing the X4's that weren't quite good enough to give me a clear /
accurate view of my progress and I didn't need anything else to be in
focus as I could find the tools and brake cleaner well enough.
However, if I was to walk to the house and doing anything other than
having a P and / or washing my hands I would go back to my 2.5X
readers to make that process safer (tripping over stuff on the way). I
can use the PC with the x4's on but I have to put my face closer to
the screen. I wouldn't drive with them on.

Do varifocals ever go from say x2.5 to 6? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:46:40 +0000, ss wrote:

snip

Various types available on ebay.

Yeah, I saw quite a few before posting but wasn't sure how suitable
they might be for my usage?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnifier...kAAOSwz3Je-a3j

I can see x8 being useable for say close up soldering, and maybe the
greater mags for inspection or even finer work but not sure I could
walk about whilst looking through them so would have to take them off
and put the readers back on, assuming they don't go over the readers?

eg, Probably great for when you are sitting at a bench and rebuilding
a watch or doing some surface mount soldering work (so they would be
ok for me for that) but not when standing / moving in the workshop and
needing to quickly / regularly swap between general vision (the
readers) and seeing something in better detail (holes though a carb
jet or some fine turning on the lathe).

Cheap enough to get and try though so thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:43:10 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

snip

I used a clip on magnifier on my specs which I could flip up or down as required. Similar to these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Gla.../dp/B07WW3J4ZN

Thinking more about my typical usage I think I like the idea of a flip
up lens ... but knowing how much I didn't like even the weight of some
'proper' prescription glasses, I'm not sure how I'll with cope with
possibly doubling the weight of my existing glasses over having an
additional pair I can slip into place when needed?

Plus it may well depend how well they clip onto my existing glasses,
although at the cost of my existing (£2.99 or summat) I would be happy
bonding the flip up mech to the front of a pair of these if it makes
them lighter and more predictable / comfortable.

That said, I do tend to wear either the X2.5's or x4 separately,
because I can sill move about (reasonably safely) whilst wearing the
x4's.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov 2020 21:42:16 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

For *really* micro / desktop type work (sm component / track repairs) I
have a USB microscope but that's really too inflexible for most everyday
stuff (and makes my fine tipped soldering iron look like the end of a
scaffold pole). ;-(

What do you use?

I use reading glasses quite a bit.

Then one of those headbands with fold down lenses of varying
magnifications - in front of the glasses.

That was the sort of thing I was thinking might have been the most
common reply Bob but I guess it's how to how good other peoples eye
are and what they are doing.

For close up stuff, a jeweller's loupe (I have two different
magnifications). I take the glasses off when using them. There is no loss
of binocular vision since the other eye is missing and I'm used to it. I
also wear a monocle quite a bit so it's no strain to use the loupe for
longer periods.

The loupe works for me for inspection but not for actually doing the
job where I need two hands.

I also have a USB microscope but use it rarely.

A mate has a really good (and expensive) binocular microscope but then
he repairs mobile phones for a living. ;-)

Is the headband elastic on yours or do you have to fit it etc?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 23:08:31 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:
snip

The problem with using strong reading glasses for this is that while
they sort out the focussing, you still need both your eyes pointing
inwards at a close object. This can cause strain and headaches.

I'm sure that happens and I remember having to get used to the x4's
(especially when walking about where it they made you feel drunk g)
but I'm used to them now and can / will walk about in them briefly if
I intend to carry on doing detailed work.

Ideally, you'd need lenses with some 'prism' to allow you eyes to be
relaxed, but this isn't reading glasses. Maybe the repair shop man has
special glasses.

Interesting.

Head mounted magnifiers do this (at least, mine do)

I think that's what I might need to look closer at (excuse the pun).
;-)

but I mostly use a
binocular (aka stereo) microscope - 10x is good.

As mentioned elsewhere, a mate has some pretty nice ones (and very
substantial / heavy I remember). I have used them for some fine
electronics repair and once you are used to them (and the shock of the
size of your fine tipped iron and fine solder is), they are very good
indeed.

Good quality second
hand for £100 or new for possibly less but cheaper quality.
Even a cheap one is much better than glasses or loupes.

Unless you are moving about using them, like working on several things
along a workshop bench.

This sort of power is sometimes called a 'dissection microscope'. I
wouldn't be without mine. A long reach is good.

Here's a cheap one, eBay 303745343001

Thanks for that Clive. They look like the ones my phone repairing mate
moved to from a monocular scope before buying some that were much more
substantial and with a full sized base. I think there was something
special about the eyepieces but I can't remember what (anti smoke for
when soldering or something)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2020 00:10, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:06:43 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

Having found the readers page I thought to search by magnification - not
an option but I could search by price from High to low or From low -
high. Didn't make much change to the listing order :-))

I have read there is a legal limit - 4.00.

Eh, why?

But it isn't entirely clear if 4.00 is the highest allowed or the lowest not allowed!

Why would there be a need for it to be either?

The general rule in the UK was (and is) that you need a prescription
after a sight test to buy specs. A limited exception was made for -
broadly - age-related change, so limited to reading glasses, between 0
and +4, with both lenses the same strength. Wider relaxation resisted
- IIRC mainly on grounds that people should be encouraged to have an eye
test as only that spots other problems, gives right results for driving
etc. Search for background to and debates on Opticians Act 1989 if you
want chapter and verse.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov 2020 at 07:14:12 GMT, "Robin" wrote:

On 04/11/2020 00:10, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:06:43 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

[...]

And, of course, the rules about over-the-counter reading glasses don't affect
the sale of various high magnification vision aids for close work.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 00:57:33 +0000, T i m wrote:

Then one of those headbands with fold down lenses of varying
magnifications - in front of the glasses.

That was the sort of thing I was thinking might have been the most
common reply Bob but I guess it's how to how good other peoples eye are
and what they are doing.

Being able to change the lenses (quickly) helps, although there is one I
use 90% of the time.

For close up stuff, a jeweller's loupe (I have two different
magnifications). I take the glasses off when using them. There is no
loss of binocular vision since the other eye is missing and I'm used to
it. I also wear a monocle quite a bit so it's no strain to use the loupe
for longer periods.

The loupe works for me for inspection but not for actually doing the job
where I need two hands.

This gives me two hands. The loupe stay in as well as the monocle. It's
just practice, and the monocle gives me plenty.

Is the headband elastic on yours or do you have to fit it

On the flip down lenses? It's a flexible plastic band with a knob you
rotate to loosen/tighten. There are also friction adjustments on the
sides to allow the whole thing to be pushed up and assume the secondary
Steve Fletcher position. The lenses flip up too, and you can actually fit
two and combine them - I rarely do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 07:14:12 +0000, Robin wrote:

snip

But it isn't entirely clear if 4.00 is the highest allowed or the lowest not allowed!

Why would there be a need for it to be either?

The general rule in the UK was (and is) that you need a prescription
after a sight test to buy specs. A limited exception was made for -
broadly - age-related change, so limited to reading glasses, between 0
and +4, with both lenses the same strength. Wider relaxation resisted
- IIRC mainly on grounds that people should be encouraged to have an eye
test as only that spots other problems, gives right results for driving
etc.

Interesting, thanks. ;-)

Search for background to and debates on Opticians Act 1989 if you
want chapter and verse.

No, that's fine, I just couldn't see how / why anyone would want to
restrict the use of super magnification 'glasses' as many of us might
use for close up work as our eyes get tired (or before of course), but
as I believe Roger mentions after, it (the rules) potentially doesn't
/ can't restrict such.

And I've had my eyes tested (fairly recently), had glasses made up
from the prescription but still prefer my off the shelf readers
because they simply work better?

I'm pretty sharp when it comes to the "Better or worse" lens game at
the opticians , as proven by the results being pretty much the same
for the last few tests and them measuring my readers and confirming
they are close to my ideal prescription for reading.

Strangely though they are also good for watching the telly and looking
at distant things. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 21:45, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

I'm intrigued how that works, optically. How would a high
positive-dioptre lens (reading glasses) close to a lower
positive-dioptre lens (distance glasses) increase the effective power of
the reading glasses to give greater magnification and/or allow you to
focus closer to the work? I've just tried it with my reading and
distance glasses (both with reading and with distance glasses closer to
my eyes) and it makes no difference to magnification or closeness of
focussing

It if they are used consecutively it should give a compound lens with an
approximate focal length fF/(f+F). Mine are 3 diopter and 1 diopter.

You are crudely mocking up a Ramsden eyepiece when you do this. It works
best if the glasses being stacked have about the same focal length.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu.../eyepiece.html

If the long distance glasses are anything less than 1 dioptre I doubt if
you would really notice the difference. A cheap pair of 2 diotre reading
glasses in combination with your own formula ought to be noticeable.

I'll have to watch The Repair Shop and see if I'm doing it correctly...

The clip on loupe is much preferable for very fine work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov 2020 08:43:16 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

And, of course, the rules about over-the-counter reading glasses don't affect
the sale of various high magnification vision aids for close work.

That's a good point and one I'll now use to re-search the likes of
eBay to see if it comes up with what look like 'glasses' but have a
greater than 4x magnification. ;-)

I'm thinking that x6 might be good enough to see the detail I'm
looking for but not too strong that I can't still move about (say in
the workshop or study) and without falling over. ;-)

Reading all the replies so far (thanks guys), I think there could be
the need for four stages:

1) No glasses: Sleeping / showering / shaving my head (No2) or doing
stuff where they could get knocked off my head / broken and I don't
need to 'see' what I'm doing (working under a car when I might use
feel and my base vision).

2) Std readers: General everyday living + using a magnifying sheet /
glass / loupe as required to read smaller stuff (I have a magnifying
sheet in one of the kitchen cupboards for reading fine print cooking
instructions).

3) Strong glasses: When I'm basically in one place but moving about
but want that flexibility but a more detailed view on what I'm working
on (and where it doesn't matter that I can't see all the other stuff
as clearly as with my readers). Like, I can see the carb, brake
caliper or 3D printer, even without glasses but now I need to do
something detailed.

4) Super magnifiers: When I'm stationary and working on something
superfine and need to see very small things. Like I have taken
something to bits and generally cleaned it all up, now I want to check
the individual bits to ensure they are all ok (blocked jets, good
solder joints, repaired PCB tracks etc). Or when assembling electronic
projects that require the use of very small components. [1]

4a) If I am working on something on a desk whilst sitting I could also
use a bench mounted binocular microscope.

The latter are the devices where I was hoping for some practical
feedback on as there are several solutions available and some may be
better than others in my usage scenario.

Some of the shrouded visor type seem to need lenses added multiply to
get greater magnification and I'm not sure how well that might work if
they are plastic lenses or are dirty (I sometimes get a face full of
brake / carb cleaner and that would also go on and could dissolve
plastic lenses)? ;-(

The skeleton frame type look like they are worn like glasses and so
require glasses swap every time I go between detail and general.

Ah, VR goggles with a pair of cameras on the front and voice
recognition zoom function, like you see on all Sci-Fi films. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov 2020 09:08:45 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 00:57:33 +0000, T i m wrote:

Then one of those headbands with fold down lenses of varying
magnifications - in front of the glasses.

That was the sort of thing I was thinking might have been the most
common reply Bob but I guess it's how to how good other peoples eye are
and what they are doing.

Being able to change the lenses (quickly) helps,

Yes, that was the sort of thing that could soon become tiring, if it
wasn't quick and easy to do.

although there is one I
use 90% of the time.

Which would probably be the same here and so meaning all the others
lenses would become lost. ;-(

For close up stuff, a jeweller's loupe (I have two different
magnifications). I take the glasses off when using them. There is no
loss of binocular vision since the other eye is missing and I'm used to
it. I also wear a monocle quite a bit so it's no strain to use the loupe
for longer periods.

The loupe works for me for inspection but not for actually doing the job
where I need two hands.

This gives me two hands. The loupe stay in as well as the monocle. It's
just practice, and the monocle gives me plenty.

Ah yes, not though of that. ;-)

Is the headband elastic on yours or do you have to fit it

On the flip down lenses? It's a flexible plastic band with a knob you
rotate to loosen/tighten.

Ah, good, I prefer those to elastic for several reasons, primarily
they generally provide a more rigid mount without the tension you
might need to do the same with elastic, especially when flipping
things up and down and moving your head etc.

There are also friction adjustments on the
sides to allow the whole thing to be pushed up and assume the secondary
Steve Fletcher position.

Cool. They sound well thought out.

The lenses flip up too, and you can actually fit
two and combine them - I rarely do that.

Would you be able to find a link to what you use please Bob?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:30, GB wrote:
[...]

I know that Poundand sells +1.25, +1.50, +2.00, +2.50, +3.00, & +3.50
(because I have most of those in the workbench drawer). I haven't
seen +4.00.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2020 00:10, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:06:43 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

[...]

What sort of prices do those have? (Probably a lot higher than
Poundland "readers"!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:19:57 +0000, T i m wrote:

Which would probably be the same here and so meaning all the others
lenses would become lost. ;-(

The four lens pairs are in a plastic box with retaining slots. When I put
the headset away (IN tend to use it in bursts) I put all lenses in the
box.

Would you be able to find a link to what you use please Bob?

They're quite old. I think I got them from CPC. I'll take a look.

Ah, hwere we are. The band adjustment is a locking lever rather than a
wheel (I think I was remembering the face shield). But this looks the
same.

https://cpc.farnell.com/modelcraft/p...band-4-lenses-
led/dp/TL08789

Just type TL08789 into the search box!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov 2020 12:13:05 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:19:57 +0000, T i m wrote:

Which would probably be the same here and so meaning all the others
lenses would become lost. ;-(

The four lens pairs are in a plastic box with retaining slots. When I put
the headset away (IN tend to use it in bursts) I put all lenses in the
box.

Even I should be able to do that (and as you say, may well keep the
same one in all the time).

Would you be able to find a link to what you use please Bob?

They're quite old. I think I got them from CPC. I'll take a look.

Cheers.

Ah, hwere we are. The band adjustment is a locking lever rather than a
wheel (I think I was remembering the face shield). But this looks the
same.

https://cpc.farnell.com/modelcraft/p...band-4-lenses-
led/dp/TL08789

Just type TL08789 into the search box!

Thanks for that Bob.

I couldn't see any mention of the magnification options on any of the
ModelCraft references but it looks very similar (the same as?) the
Carson offerings, like this:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yy63nww7

The max mag seems to be 3x "Includes 4 acrylic lenses (1.5x, 2x, 2.5x,
3x)" so does that work differently to straight glasses (like my x4's)
or is it the fact that you can use them *with* glasses / monocle mean
that you get the increased magnification?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris B wrote:
Out of interest I just did a search for poundland specs to see if they
did anything higher than +3.5. (Seems not)

I wear contact lenses which correct my distant vision. And at my age have
several pairs of ready reads for different things. For reading, I need a
bit more power than for using this 24" monitor.

But I've got some +5 ready reads - can't remember where from. Ideal for
really close stuff, in conjunction with a decent light.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in

the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification

What do you use?

one of these as well as my glasses

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124083044098

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 18:08:34 -0000, "Mark" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in

the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification

What do you use?

one of these as well as my glasses

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124083044098

Thanks for that Mark.

So, if I understand it right:

You have the fixed lens that's 1.9x

You can then flip down another 1.9x lens on the inside, giving you and
effective 3.8x.

You can then use the loupe that is 4.5x on one eye, making it 8.3x on
that eye.

You could also have just the fixed lens and loupe giving 6.4x on that
eye.

Given we generally have a 'lead eye', I'm guessing you could fit the
loupe to that side?

That solution has the advantage over the one with the detectable
lenses in that it looks like it gives a stronger overall magnification
and you can't mislay any lens, but on the other hand the light
wouldn't be pointing at the job if you flipped the thing up, if you
were relying on the light etc.

What sort of things do you use yours for OOI?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
[...]

Are their any shops (e.g. opticians) that sell suitable (e.g. flip up)
magnifiers? I'd want to try them out before buying.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 18:08:34 -0000, "Mark" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in

the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification

What do you use?

one of these as well as my glasses

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124083044098

Thanks for that Mark.

What sort of things do you use yours for OOI?

Mostly for PCB work soldering, but mine are over 20years old
but without the light or loupe so the type on ebay may be a different magnification- quality
certainly a fraction of the price I paid originally

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:19:57 +0000, T i m wrote:

Which would probably be the same here and so meaning all the others
lenses would become lost. ;-(

The four lens pairs are in a plastic box with retaining slots. When I put
the headset away (IN tend to use it in bursts) I put all lenses in the
box.

Would you be able to find a link to what you use please Bob?

They're quite old. I think I got them from CPC. I'll take a look.

Ah, hwere we are. The band adjustment is a locking lever rather than a
wheel (I think I was remembering the face shield). But this looks the
same.

https://cpc.farnell.com/modelcraft/p...band-4-lenses-
led/dp/TL08789

Just type TL08789 into the search box!

I have a set similar to those but they were (years ago) about £8 from ebay.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383746898885 £10

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353264396577 (£8.29) is similar but worn like spectacles
or elastic headband.

Five 5 interchangeable lenses: 1.0x 1.5x 2.0x 2.5x 3.5x

--
Regards
wasbit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 10:44:07 -0000, "wasbit"
wrote:

snip

I have a set similar to those but they were (years ago) about £8 from ebay.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383746898885 £10

(Good find). ;-)

Do you wear glasses and if so, do you find the two work together ok?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353264396577 (£8.29) is similar but worn like spectacles
or elastic headband.

Five 5 interchangeable lenses: 1.0x 1.5x 2.0x 2.5x 3.5x

I would prefer the solution that is addition to my 'background'
glasses (but thanks).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 00:31:31 -0000 (UTC), Mark wrote:

snip

What sort of things do you use yours for OOI?

Mostly for PCB work soldering, but mine are over 20years old
but without the light or loupe so the type on ebay may be a different magnification- quality
certainly a fraction of the price I paid originally

Thanks Mark.

Cheers, T i m