Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On 2020-11-04, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 4 Nov 2020 at 07:14:12 GMT, "Robin" wrote:

On 04/11/2020 00:10, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 15:06:43 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

Having found the readers page I thought to search by magnification - not
an option but I could search by price from High to low or From low -
high. Didn't make much change to the listing order :-))

I have read there is a legal limit - 4.00.

Eh, why?

But it isn't entirely clear if 4.00 is the highest allowed or the lowest
not allowed!

Why would there be a need for it to be either?

The general rule in the UK was (and is) that you need a prescription
after a sight test to buy specs. A limited exception was made for -
broadly - age-related change, so limited to reading glasses, between 0
and +4, with both lenses the same strength. Wider relaxation resisted
- IIRC mainly on grounds that people should be encouraged to have an eye
test as only that spots other problems, gives right results for driving
etc. Search for background to and debates on Opticians Act 1989 if you
want chapter and verse.

And, of course, the rules about over-the-counter reading glasses don't affect
the sale of various high magnification vision aids for close work.

What sort of prices do those have? (Probably a lot higher than
Poundland "readers"!)