Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

Unfortunately, they seem to be a bit weak on the hinge and bridge and
short of gluing the arms in place on the ones that have gone on the
hinge, they are obviously a bit vulnerable in general (compared with
the generic all-plastic readers I have on now, wear for everything
else and have probably had for a couple of years).

So I've ordered another pair of plan 4x glasses cheap off ebay but I
wondered if you use and can recommend anything that might be both more
durable and more magnifying, especially for those much smaller jobs?
(Like I just repaired a long string of tiny white LED lights for our
daughter that have 3 very fine coated wires going to LEDs every 100mm
or so that are in what looks like blobs of resin. I really couldn't
see with any detail so had to set it up with a magnifying glass and
then solder and hope). ;-(

Now, when I first got the X4's I couldn't safely walk about with them
on but I seem to have got accustomed to them and now often do ...
rather than bothering to take them off and my readers back on (just to
go between house and workshop and back etc), so I think I'll try and
stick with a pair (or couple of pairs) of basic x4's for that reason.

However, I think I'd also like something that's also head worn (so
you keep your hands free and can get the focus right) and a bit more
powerful?

I'm not sure if it/they would go over my std readers or would be used
instead? Do they mist up ... are they light, easy to take on and off,
is having illumination built in a good idea etc etc.

For *really* micro / desktop type work (sm component / track repairs)
I have a USB microscope but that's really too inflexible for most
everyday stuff (and makes my fine tipped soldering iron look like the
end of a scaffold pole). ;-(

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m