Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

I'm intrigued how that works, optically. How would a high positive-dioptre
lens (reading glasses) close to a lower positive-dioptre lens (distance
glasses) increase the effective power of the reading glasses to give greater
magnification and/or allow you to focus closer to the work? I've just tried
it with my reading and distance glasses (both with reading and with distance
glasses closer to my eyes) and it makes no difference to magnification or
closeness of focussing

I'll have to watch The Repair Shop and see if I'm doing it correctly...