Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 21:24:53 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

In true DIY style a relatively cheap x3 loupe with a piece of bent wire
threaded through to allow it to clip onto my glasses. Sacrificing
binocular vision for high magnification to inspect solder joints.

I use an 8X loupe or viewer thing (a lens in a plastic holder with a
clear skirt underneath that if you put it on something, would keep it
at the right focal length (well, you have to lift it up a bit)).

Tow
drilled holes and a spot of epoxy completes the job.

Sounds a goodun. ;-)

For general use I use my reading glasses and long distance one stacked.
(much like the clock guy on the repair programme)

I'll have to give that another go as there seem to be a few here doing
similar. Maybe when I tried it it worked but just not enough to get
the sort of magnification I am looking for?

For very close fine work I have a x10 loupe.

Yeah, my X8 is pretty good (with (or without) my 2.5 readers) for
inspecting solder joints ... just not really 'live enough for the
sorts of things I might be doing.

Like, when I was scraping the corrosion out of the groove that holds
the dust seal on the motorcycle brake caliper the other day ... I was
wearing the X4's that weren't quite good enough to give me a clear /
accurate view of my progress and I didn't need anything else to be in
focus as I could find the tools and brake cleaner well enough.
However, if I was to walk to the house and doing anything other than
having a P and / or washing my hands I would go back to my 2.5X
readers to make that process safer (tripping over stuff on the way). I
can use the PC with the x4's on but I have to put my face closer to
the screen. I wouldn't drive with them on.

Do varifocals ever go from say x2.5 to 6? ;-)

Cheers, T i m