Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur[_2_] Clive Arthur[_2_] is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On 03/11/2020 20:21, T i m wrote:
I had about 4 pairs of those glasses that have little LED lights in
the arms (that I rarely used the light bit on) and were about x4
magnification that I use when I want to do anything that requires a
bit of detailed work, like soldering or cleaning the jets on a carb
etc.

snip

What do you use?

Cheers, T i m

The problem with using strong reading glasses for this is that while
they sort out the focussing, you still need both your eyes pointing
inwards at a close object. This can cause strain and headaches.

Ideally, you'd need lenses with some 'prism' to allow you eyes to be
relaxed, but this isn't reading glasses. Maybe the repair shop man has
special glasses.

Head mounted magnifiers do this (at least, mine do) but I mostly use a
binocular (aka stereo) microscope - 10x is good. Good quality second
hand for £100 or new for possibly less but cheaper quality. Or very
much more. Even a cheap one is much better than glasses or loupes.

This sort of power is sometimes called a 'dissection microscope'. I
wouldn't be without mine. A long reach is good.

Here's a cheap one, eBay 303745343001

--
Cheers
Clive