Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 07:14:12 +0000, Robin wrote:

snip

But it isn't entirely clear if 4.00 is the highest allowed or the lowest not allowed!

Why would there be a need for it to be either?

The general rule in the UK was (and is) that you need a prescription
after a sight test to buy specs. A limited exception was made for -
broadly - age-related change, so limited to reading glasses, between 0
and +4, with both lenses the same strength. Wider relaxation resisted
- IIRC mainly on grounds that people should be encouraged to have an eye
test as only that spots other problems, gives right results for driving
etc.

Interesting, thanks. ;-)

Search for background to and debates on Opticians Act 1989 if you
want chapter and verse.

No, that's fine, I just couldn't see how / why anyone would want to
restrict the use of super magnification 'glasses' as many of us might
use for close up work as our eyes get tired (or before of course), but
as I believe Roger mentions after, it (the rules) potentially doesn't
/ can't restrict such.

And I've had my eyes tested (fairly recently), had glasses made up
from the prescription but still prefer my off the shelf readers
because they simply work better?

I'm pretty sharp when it comes to the "Better or worse" lens game at
the opticians , as proven by the results being pretty much the same
for the last few tests and them measuring my readers and confirming
they are close to my ideal prescription for reading.

Strangely though they are also good for watching the telly and looking
at distant things. ;-)

Cheers, T i m