Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

On 15/12/2018 12:43, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/12/2018 09:40, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 02:50:33 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 20:30, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 19:07:33 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that
they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Really?

Video it on my phone and email them the video or link to it?

I was more intrigued how you would know where to send the video if you
have destroyed the card before opening it and hence don't know who sent
it...

I really meant that 'when it wasn't obvious where the card came from
because of the handwriting or because it was given to another family
member to give to me', I would open it to see if it was from, close it
again and then shred / video it.

With her Mum it took her to tear it in half in front of her (unopened)
before she got what we were asking (sounds harsh but we had asked
often enough and that manage to do the trick).

Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
lengthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Because neither of us are religious, neither of us send / hand Xmyth
cards to anyone because why would we?

Perhaps because its a time of year when others are more willing to reach
out and connect with old friends and acquaintances, it helps them break
down barriers, and overcome fear of rejection for a while. Most people
will respond in kind even if they personally have no religious faith,
and despise the whole commercial aspect of Christmas - even if only for
the sake of other people's feelings.

Just in the same way we wouldn't
actively get involved in any other religious / other 'tradition /
ceremony if it wasn't a natural part of our lives.

Bet you don't get invited to many weddings, christenings etc then!

'We don't do Christmas' is generally all it needs for most people but
for others, it takes a bit more.

Yup it takes you being the bigger man, sucking it up and biting your
tongue. Why burn bridges and go out of your way to hurt other people's
feelings, when there is no benefit to anyone?

Like, if we go somewhere where they are aware we 'Don't do Christmas'
and so know they won't get a card or presents, how do they think it
makes us feel when they then give us a card or present?

For some there is pleasure (or at lease an escape for any feelings of
guilt or failing to live up to expectation) in giving without any
expectation of reward.

They say they
are happy to give without receiving (and I get that in general) but at
Xmas the 'tradition' is 'exchanging' gifts?

You seem keen to have them accept you don't do Christmas, so perhaps its
not unfair to accept their statement that they feel better giving
something.

Why is it assumed that we would celebrate Xmas but not Duvali,
Hanukkah or Imbolc?

Perhaps because Christmas is now far broader and wider than a just
religious feast. Many will find some part they can partake and enjoy
like time off work, a good **** up, or to enjoy seasonal food treats,
even if not many of the other parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
charles wrote:
At my local Tesco, was a chap with a large trolley full of bottled
water, only. Probably for some sort of commercial use. You'd have
thought he'd have had the sense to go to Lidl for that.

or Bookers

I dunno where the nearest cash and carry is. But several Lidl nearby. As
he'd have had to have driven to the Tesco - he couldn't have carried all
that water back on foot.

Maybe he pinched the shopping trolley?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
In article ,
charles wrote:
At my local Tesco, was a chap with a large trolley full of bottled
water, only. Probably for some sort of commercial use. You'd have
thought he'd have had the sense to go to Lidl for that.

or Bookers

I dunno where the nearest cash and carry is. But several Lidl nearby. As
he'd have had to have driven to the Tesco - he couldn't have carried all
that water back on foot.

Maybe he pinched the shopping trolley?

Pinched?
I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/12/2018 17:29, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
In article ,
charles wrote:
At my local Tesco, was a chap with a large trolley full of bottled
water, only. Probably for some sort of commercial use. You'd have
thought he'd have had the sense to go to Lidl for that.

or Bookers

I dunno where the nearest cash and carry is. But several Lidl nearby. As
he'd have had to have driven to the Tesco - he couldn't have carried all
that water back on foot.

Maybe he pinched the shopping trolley?

Pinched?
I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)

Pinched shopping trolleys or £1 ones do seem to end up in the most odd
places.

eg HMP "not saying which one" and the catering staff use a ASDA trolley
to transport goods around. And in one school in South Yorkshire the
caretaker uses a TESCO trolley.

I have an ALDI one. I do not have a use for it but I was ****ed when I
put the quid into it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/12/2018 10:29, Rod Speed wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:11:24 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

Isn't that blasphemy?

dont ask me.

But you do all this Xmyth stuff so you must be an active Christian no?

Nope. I'm a heathen and have always been into the
xmyth food and the holiday between xmyth and new
year and the decent ****up we always had at work etc.

And we have enough of a clue to not have
ours in the middle of the ****ing winter too.

So what do you celebrate in the middle of winter?

A few immigrants do have their xmas then but we go skiing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

[...]

Yeah, wota paira complete arseholes those two are.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:11:24 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

Isn't that blasphemy?

dont ask me.

But you do all this Xmyth stuff so you must be an active Christian no?

Nope. I'm a heathen and have always been into the
xmyth food and the holiday between xmyth and new
year and the decent ****up we always had at work etc.

And we have enough of a clue to not have
ours in the middle of the ****ing winter too.

So what do you celebrate in the middle of winter?

A few immigrants do have their xmas then but we go skiing.

Who celebrates Christmas in June?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:27:17 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

Yes. I have staff who send cards:-)

;-)

This years cheap offering from China
has had to be embellished with glue and glitter which is now firmly
attached to all our kitchen surfaces.

And it's not like you don't have enough outbuildings A. could use (but
don't tell her I said that!). ;-)

I suppose one should admire a desire to maintain contact with college
friends of 53 years back but generally my views align with Tim.

I think if the truth be told, many people (and not just men) would
'not bother' with much of it, if only they had the bottle to. However,
they are too bothered about what X or Y might think, just as they do
about their house decor or the clothes they wear.

My first wife used to 'do' the Xmyth cards and when I had my first
Xmyth with her I handed her the heap of last years cards for her to
'process'.

She basically said she had a hard enough time bothering to do hers, so
why would she do 'mine' and so neither of us bothered from then on (30
years or so now).

I can't say it's had any impact on the number of friends we have (or
want) as the *real* friends and good family 'understand' and respect
our wishes.

They are the sort of people who will try to 'pop in' on when passing
.... or send the odd 'Gwan' text or email any time of the year.

I think we are ahead of our time ... just as I was re smoking in
public places and one day we will reflect when we used to cut down
thousands of trees, turn them into cardboard, cover them in glitter
and heavy ink and put them in a paper 'envelope and post them to each
other?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:33:00 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat
hysterical mindset quite well :-)

Ah, not really watched any of that because it (ironically) seemed as
weird as you do! ;-)

If you haven't watched any if it how would you know?

You Brexiteers don't really do 'fuzzy logic' do you? See, 'not really
watched' doesn't mean I've never seen but I have seen bits / clips so
have a pretty good idea what it's about and who the characters are but
may not have watched an entire show but it may have been on in the
background whilst I was doing other things.

Sending bits of folded cardboard to your *friends*. Weird ...

but sending your "friends" videos of you shredding their unopened
cards is just so you Timbo!

If it get's the point across ...

Ho ho ho ;-)

Maybe a softer solution would be to just give the cards back unopened
in the new year and then they can hand them back to us the next year
without having to waste even more card / paper (and I don't have to
dispose of them myself). ;-)

I can post the mailed ones back with 'Not known at this address' or in
an unstamped envelope with some of our junk mail. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 12:50:43 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip
Put a bit of catenary wire in the card and there would be a video of the
shredder breaking down.

It can shred best wishes from friends but not catenary wire

A small sheet of ballistic nylon padding could be interesting...

Would you feel that in the thickness of the card?

But I still don't get it, does someone's unwanted format and generally
hollow suggestion (and mostly meaningless) gesture of 'Best Wishes *at
Xmyth*', trump my request to not receive such in that format? Avert
all, I'm not the one inflicting anything physical on anyone else or
the trees etc?

I'm not bothered if someone sends me an eCard because I can choose to
not open it (I generally don't or only long enough to see what they
are) or an email for similar reasons. At least only a few trees were
killied in the sending of those. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 12:43:10 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

With her Mum it took her to tear it in half in front of her (unopened)
before she got what we were asking (sounds harsh but we had asked
often enough and that manage to do the trick).

Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

Yup, even though we asked her not to send them. ;-)

Because neither of us are religious, neither of us send / hand Xmyth
cards to anyone because why would we?

Perhaps because its a time of year when others are more willing to reach
out and connect with old friends and acquaintances, it helps them break
down barriers, and overcome fear of rejection for a while.

Luckily we aren't in any need of that ourselves and try to do more for
those that might need such contact all year round. In fact we actually
when to a 'Friends of' meeting where we are working with an Age
Concern group to get together and 'Tea a natter / walk / activity
venue.

Most people
will respond in kind even if they personally have no religious faith,

Yes, it's called the (often commercial) unbreakable loop or habit.

and despise the whole commercial aspect of Christmas - even if only for
the sake of other people's feelings.

But our feelings don't count in any of this?

Just in the same way we wouldn't
actively get involved in any other religious / other 'tradition /
ceremony if it wasn't a natural part of our lives.

Bet you don't get invited to many weddings, christenings etc then!

Unfortunately we do, and in many cases we don't go or I'll drop her
there if she wants to. The good friends ask out of politeness but are
already prepared for the 'Thanks but no thanks' and are as accepting
of that as they would be us saying yes.

'We don't do Christmas' is generally all it needs for most people but
for others, it takes a bit more.

Yup it takes you being the bigger man, sucking it up and biting your
tongue.

Then nothing ever changes? People will continue sending us bits of
folded cardboard (often covered in glitter that always seems to get
under her contacts) and for what, simply because that's how they are
programmed ... they do it without thinking?

Why burn bridges and go out of your way to hurt other people's
feelings, when there is no benefit to anyone?

Ask them the same question, they started it!. ;-)

Like, if we go somewhere where they are aware we 'Don't do Christmas'
and so know they won't get a card or presents, how do they think it
makes us feel when they then give us a card or present?

For some there is pleasure (or at lease an escape for any feelings of
guilt or failing to live up to expectation) in giving without any
expectation of reward.

Sure, as it is with me, but the *tradition* at such times (unlike
birthdays or weddings etc) is the *exchange* of gifts.

Apparently it's ok (for you / them) to agree something (no presents)
and for them to go back on our deal and for us to not to be made
uncomfortable by that? People can't seem to be able to deal
*themselves* with not do something like that, such is their
programming / indoctrination?

They say they
are happy to give without receiving (and I get that in general) but at
Xmas the 'tradition' is 'exchanging' gifts?

You seem keen to have them accept you don't do Christmas, so perhaps its
not unfair to accept their statement that they feel better giving
something.

But I'm the one who is being passive here. I'm (preemptively) asking
them NOT to do something. Something I'm not doing to them (because we
have *agreed* not to)?

Why is it assumed that we would celebrate Xmas but not Duvali,
Hanukkah or Imbolc?

Perhaps because Christmas is now far broader and wider than a just
religious feast.

Yes, it's more money for the corporations (just not from me or at that
time). It makes as much sense to be as buying your child a new bike
and having them just look at it till the spring before they can use
it.

Many will find some part they can partake and enjoy
like time off work,

specially if it doesn't get in my way or living my everyday life.

I have no issue what others choose to do and ex a good **** up,

Me neither?

or to enjoy seasonal food treats,
even if not many of the other parts.

I'll not turn down Xmas food if it's offered but I won't go somewhere
especially for it because I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford
(say) Turkey any time of the year?

If I CBA to go to whatever friend / family invites us to there for
Xmyth day / lunch, those who actually care without judging will often
offer me the option of just popping up for the lunch (I never have) or
the Mrs / family bringing some back for me (sometimes have).

Anyone I would consider a good friend or family wouldn't put any
pressure on me to do anything. That wouldn't be very kind would it?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. When I have gone to some gatherings it's funny when one party of
each of the couples say in confidence that they didn't really want to
be there and were only going because they would never hear the end of
it otherwise. That sounds like a healthy and honest relationship
(not).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:37:29 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip
Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
lengthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod, I would be interested to hear how you set your moral compass
where someone being inactive has fewer rights than someone doing
something actively to someone and against their wishes?

I might enjoy my job at the abattoir so according to you I should be
able to send some of the firms charity Xmyth cards to all my friends,
including the vegans and they should just suck it up?

No wonder you are confused re how empathy can be applied un
empathetically.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 12:35:56 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip

My point is that *real friends* accept and understand when we say we
prefer not to receive cards (suggesting they give that cost to charity)
that they acknowledge such and don't send a card.

OK. So you believe that you have *real friends* because no-one sends you
a Christmas card.

Nope. I know I have real friends because nearly all of them don't send
me Xmyth cards because I've asked them not to.

I have imaginary friends who do the same.

I'm sure you do.

Ain't life great?

Yup, even without people sending me bits of folded card with a factory
printed picture and message on. ;-)

We used to get a card addressed to people we didn't know but it was not
any of the previous occupiers of that address or the name of anyone
local. The writing was all spidery so it was probably someone old and now
they have stopped so ... ;-(

We also sometimes get a card from what I believe might be my 'cousins'
but I don't know them or them us obviously (they address it to Tim and my
first wife's name from 30 years ago). What's the point (for them)?

Basically, (IMHO of course g) it's a pointless and disgusting waste of
the worlds resources and a financial burden on those who often can't
afford it (postage and cards). If you actually *want* to keep in touch
with someone, do so (visit, letter, email, social media, telephone call)
and not just once a year?

Disgusting is a dog turd on the sole of one's shoe. Perhaps you meant
disgraceful?

What I meant is what I said. Sorry you can't understand it in that
context. 'Disgusting waste ... '. I find the waste disgusting.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/disgusting

Thanks for playing though. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heaving this back on topic...I mentioned the Wowstick.

Has anyone else got one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Heaving this back on topic...I mentioned the Wowstick.
Has anyone else got one?

No, I've sent plenty of reviews of such 'lightweight electric
screwdrivers', which generally seem to be from people who got sent one
free, I don't really see the need for an electric screwdriver for
opening gadgets, PC components etc, they don't need high torque, or
super-long screws.

I have one of these (Maplin RIP) that I keep in the study for all such
jobs, thankfully I don't touch iThings so have never needed pentalobe
bits to get into anything.

https://www.proskit.com/screwdrivers/multi-purpose/33-pc-screwdriver-set-w-interchangeable-bits

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"T i m" wrote in message
news On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:11:24 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

Isn't that blasphemy?

dont ask me.

But you do all this Xmyth stuff so you must be an active Christian no?

Nope. I'm a heathen and have always been into the
xmyth food and the holiday between xmyth and new
year and the decent ****up we always had at work etc.

And we have enough of a clue to not have
ours in the middle of the ****ing winter too.

So what do you celebrate in the middle of winter?

A few immigrants do have their xmas then but we go skiing.

Who celebrates Christmas in June?

A few of our most stupid immigrants from that soggy little
frigid island that didnt even notice what its like where that
fool who was actually stupid enough to get nailed up by
the romans on the 25-Dec.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote
Richard wrote

Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely
lacking in human empathy, or any trace of civility.

He's right.

Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering
his engthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod,

That's not me.

I would be interested to hear how you set your moral compass
where someone being inactive has fewer rights than someone
doing something actively to someone and against their wishes?

They don't have fewer rights. They might well have fewer
possibilitys with respect to what they can easily do about it.

What the **** has enjoying your job got to do with any of that.

No wonder you are confused re how empathy can be applied un
empathetically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2018 00:04, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:37:29 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip
Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
lengthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod, I would be interested to hear how you set your moral compass
where someone being inactive has fewer rights than someone doing
something actively to someone and against their wishes?

I might enjoy my job at the abattoir so according to you I should be
able to send some of the firms charity Xmyth cards to all my friends,
including the vegans and they should just suck it up?

So you have an imaginary job at the abattoir. Whatever floats your boat.
Don't send Christmas cards to the vegans, a slice of liver should do nicely.

No wonder you are confused re how empathy can be applied un
empathetically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2018 03:05, Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote
Richard wrote

Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

He's right.
Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
engthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod,

That's not me.

He's too narcissistic to be able to differentiate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat
hysterical mindset quite well :-)

Ah, not really watched any of that because it (ironically) seemed as
weird as you do! ;-)

If you haven't watched any if it how would you know?

You Brexiteers don't really do 'fuzzy logic' do you? See, 'not really
watched' doesn't mean I've never seen but I have seen bits / clips so
have a pretty good idea what it's about and who the characters are but
may not have watched an entire show but it may have been on in the
background whilst I was doing other things.

Oh so now "not really watched any of it" turns out to be quite the
opposite? How convenient (and slimy)

Sending bits of folded cardboard to your *friends*. Weird ...

but sending your "friends" videos of you shredding their unopened
cards is just so you Timbo!

If it get's the point across ...

Ho ho ho ;-)

Maybe a softer solution would be to just give the cards back unopened
in the new year and then they can hand them back to us the next year
without having to waste even more card / paper (and I don't have to
dispose of them myself). ;-)

I can post the mailed ones back with 'Not known at this address' or in
an unstamped envelope with some of our junk mail. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Fess up Tim, you don't have many friends do you?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2018 23:15, T i m wrote:

I think we are ahead of our time ...

Oh ****. It's Dr. WTF? He travels in a retardbus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
news
On 16/12/2018 03:05, Rod Speed wrote:
T i m wrote
Richard wrote

Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

He's right.
Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
engthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod,

That's not me.

He's too narcissistic to be able to differentiate.

True and is obviously a complete arsehole when
his ****wit of a wife tears the the card from her
,mother in half in front of her. They are clearly
made for each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
In article ,
charles wrote:
At my local Tesco, was a chap with a large trolley full of bottled
water, only. Probably for some sort of commercial use. You'd have
thought he'd have had the sense to go to Lidl for that.

or Bookers

I dunno where the nearest cash and carry is. But several Lidl nearby. As
he'd have had to have driven to the Tesco - he couldn't have carried all
that water back on foot.

Maybe he pinched the shopping trolley?

Pinched?
I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)

No cash needed for trolleys at this store. Just the usual wheel lock
system if you try and remove one.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/12/2018 17:29, Jim K.. wrote:

Pinched?
I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)

And those false £1 coins that fit on your keying to unlock the shopping
trolleys do not work in my fruit machine.
--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Dec 2018 00:54:29 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Heaving this back on topic...

;-)

I mentioned the Wowstick.

You did.

Has anyone else got one?

I haven't and never having heard of them I had a quick Google and now
I know what they are. ;-)

If I was given one I think I'd be grateful but not sure how often, if
ever I would use it?

Whilst I'm often inside laptops and small electronic gadgets I can't
say I've ever felt the *need* for anything other than the correct size
manual screwdriver and especially when it comes to doing such screws
back up.

A mate has a corded electric screwdriver that he uses for de /
re-assembling laptops but he works in a PC shop and for him time is
money ... and he may be less concerned just how tight / well a screw
goes back in as I might.

From my experience of any electric drill / screwdrivers is that the
bigger ones are good for taking the strain out of repetitive screwing
and especially where accuracy isn't important (putting up a shed or
dry walling) or where you may have pre drilled / screwed something
(furniture) and then you use an electric driver to simply fit / re-fit
the screws post-gluing (and I 'get' you can still use the Wowstick as
a manual screwdriver but not sure what sort of comfort / grip that
handle offers in that mode)? With a very fine screw in a laptop or
eGadget I think I prefer the ability to be able to feel the screw
going in, especially if a machine screw into metal or a self tapper
going *back* into plastic.

As an aside, I think I'm put off by the name 'Wowstick' as I am
TomTom.

If I saw one for a fiver, I might buy it (for the S&G's).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2018 01:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

Heaving this back on topic...I mentioned the Wowstick.
Has anyone else got one?

No, I've sent plenty of reviews of such 'lightweight electric
screwdrivers', which generally seem to be from people who got sent one
free, I don't really see the need for an electric screwdriver for
opening gadgets, PC components etc, they don't need high torque, or
super-long screws.

For things like flat screens, and laptops they can be handy since its
not uncommon to have to wind out 20+ screws.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat
hysterical mindset quite well :-)

Ah, not really watched any of that because it (ironically) seemed as
weird as you do! ;-)

If you haven't watched any if it how would you know?

You Brexiteers don't really do 'fuzzy logic' do you? See, 'not really
watched' doesn't mean I've never seen but I have seen bits / clips so
have a pretty good idea what it's about and who the characters are but
may not have watched an entire show but it may have been on in the
background whilst I was doing other things.

Oh so now "not really watched any of it" turns out to be quite the
opposite? How convenient (and slimy)

Nope, what I said is exactly how it is. How very left brained of you
to not get that from the outset.

There are millions of people out there who have seen bits or clips of
films or TV shows and who would therefore have a reasonable idea of
the general theme / spirit of it but without watching a whole film /
show themselves. Or those who have been present in the room when
someone else has been watching something but they weren't paying much
attention to it themselves, or only if the actual viewer prompts them
to watch 'this bit' because it's especially funny / clever / violent.

I watched Taken 2 *again* on TV last night. Daughter has been present
in the room before when someone else was watching it and so had a
fairly good idea of the story. The Mrs has been in the room when I've
watched it previously but was doing her own thing (watching catchup on
her PC or playing PC based games or eBanking etc) but didn't have
those distractions last night (we were round mums) but still didn't
really follow it closely and probably wouldn't be able to recap much
of the detail.

But hey, you are a fanatic Brexiteer so don't actually have much of a
clue how 'other people' might think or work do you! ;-(

snip

I can post the mailed ones back with 'Not known at this address' or in
an unstamped envelope with some of our junk mail. ;-)

Fess up Tim, you don't have many friends do you?

I have more friends than I could be bothered to send bits of folded
cardboard to and know 100% that all of them really don't GAF that they
don't get one from me. They are better people than that / you (and why
they are my friends of course). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:32:48 +0000, Richard
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 00:04, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:37:29 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip
Indeed it sounds twisted and bitter, and completely lacking in human
empathy, or any trace of civility.

Which is exceedingly hypocritical in his instance considering his
lengthy pontifications on the topic of empathy.

Yes Rod, I would be interested to hear how you set your moral compass
where someone being inactive has fewer rights than someone doing
something actively to someone and against their wishes?

I might enjoy my job at the abattoir so according to you I should be
able to send some of the firms charity Xmyth cards to all my friends,
including the vegans and they should just suck it up?

So you have an imaginary job at the abattoir.

Whoosh.

Whatever floats your boat.

It's mostly fresh (or brackish) water, if you are actually interested.

Don't send Christmas cards to the vegans,

I don't, to anyone (keep up).

a slice of liver should do nicely.

Would that still come under 'letter' for postage purposes?

The world must be so straightforward to you left brainers ... except
for completely missing out on all analogies of course.

'The point' is that if someone has explicitly requested someone
doesn't send them an Xmyth card for several perfectly valid and
genuine reasons (one of being the environmental impact of such
procedures), how do you then get through to them that you are serious
about your request? And it's not just the one card, it's all the cards
set to me ad everone else who would rather prefer they didn't.

It's the same as smoking. When I asked non smokers (and even some
smokers) if they would *prefer* not to be exposed to be smoke they
typically all answered 'yes', just most didn't feel they had the right
to not be so exposed (so would often 'suffer in silence'). Now times
they are a changing and all sorts of people and groups are having
their voice heard and the balance of rights set returned.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/12/2018 00:04, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:37:29 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip
[...]

You intrigue me. You *can* make a decision to not receive Christmas
cards, but *cannot* make a decision when it is life changing.
The one constant, is the sheer quantity of blather you generate. FWIW, I
thought Bob Eager's "Wowstick" was a tongue-in-cheek poke at you. You
know, like the Ugly Stick.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=ugly%20stick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 02:56:31 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Well while doing some shopping, I had Amazon slip a bottle of Laphroaig
Quater Cask into the basket... A glass of that can even make T i m seem
cheerful!

The irony of all this is tat T i m is actually pretty cheerful most
of the time. What I don't do though is just fall into line with
everything everyone else does, just because THEY do and (possibly)
enjoy it.

Like, if we are invited anywhere, one or either of us may want / not
want to go and so it's up to the other party to decide if they will
still go because of 'other things'. Like, the Mrs isn't particularly
interested in car racing and because of her bad back, can't stand for
any length of time (she's ok if she's walking / moving though).

So when we went to take daughters friend on his Supercar experience at
Brands, she preferred to stay at home. When I did my Rally experience
she came with us because it was me doing it. If I did that same
experience again I wouldn't *expect* her to want to go to that (unless
we made more of a day of it ad had a meal out or summat).

So what some here appear to see as me not being happy / cheerful is
simply me not doing what many of them do when they would rather not
have to.

Like, I know that 'most people' I know would rather have my assistance
than not but get an Xmyth card from me. Real friends / close family
really don't need such gestures to knew how they stand with each
other.

If you are in a situation when not sending someone an Xmyth card would
be 'burning bridges' (your words) I agree you might be the one who
could do with some cheering up! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Seriously, many people suffer with all sorts of stress over this
'Festive period' and for no reason other than feeling the obligation
to comply with what has become a commercial ritual. I am fortunate
that my Wife and I are strong enough to see though all of it and agree
up front with the people we see regularly that we *don't* do any of
it. Therefore we can be reassured that (mostly) we won't be made to
feel bad when being presented with an Xmyth present (or card) when we
previously agreed than none would be offered. There is nothing Xmyth
about taking them a bottle of wine or treating them to a meal and them
doing the same to us the next time we meet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 13:28:15 +1100,cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Who celebrates Christmas in June?

A few of our most stupid immigrants

But still by far not as stupid as the Ozzie troll (you) who gets up every
morning between 1 and 4 am, just to be able to continue with his insipid
trolling without too long a break! BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 20:06:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

He's too narcissistic to be able to differentiate.

True and is obviously a complete arsehole when

"Narcissistic", "complete arsehole"? But that's YOU all over, senile Rot!
LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0800 (PST), wrote:

snip

It's a way to re-establish a bit of a social link with folk you're otherwise falling out of touch with.

Agreed, it's 'a way' but aren't there better ways?

Who in the UK can't afford xmas cards?

Many, especially the postage.

It's not as if they're compulsory anyway.

But to many they are (John even mentioned the thought of 'burning
bridges' because of a card related gesture). How many (men typically)
here (if they were honest or didn't have 'staff' to do it for them
g), really wouldn't bother to send many of or if not most / all the
Xmyth cards, if they had the bottle to? Do they really actually *care*
if they find out that some distant cousin (they may have never met) is
still alive or not? I'm not saying they would not care, just that if
they actually cared they might make the effort to call, write or
actually go and see them once in a while?

How many here have been thanked for the card or present when we don't
have a f'ing clue what was on / in the car or what preset we sent? How
much feeling did *we* put into that gesture ... or isn't it all just a
pointless ritual (if you aren't of that religion etc)?

Take 10 of your best family / friends. What if in this years cards you
add the note saying that for all sorts of reasons (that you can
mention if you want) you have decided to not send any more cards but
would donate money to charity instead? How many of them do you think
would never want to see you again because of that ... and if they did,
what sort of friends / family were they in the first place?

I think it's just the same as being young and having the balls *not*
to wear the current fashion or do what *everyone else is doing* but
following your own personal path. I'm not saying go out of your way to
be different, just not doing what they do if it isn't what you want to
do.

I'm pretty sure that 'many people' really don't put much / any thought
into the whole thing (of cards) and so millions of trees get cut down,
many of them for no actually appreciated reason.

But there is still time ... we have highlighted the desire (need?) to
move away from single use plastics and so avoiding plasticised
wrapping paper and buying a decent plastic Xmyth tree and keeping it
for enough years to offset the increased carbon footprint.

And if you are a grown up and not entertained by having a tree *in the
house* (wtf?) you can go even further by not having any tree (in the
house) in the first place! ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:51:35 +0000, Richard
wrote:

snip

'The point' is that if someone has explicitly requested someone
doesn't send them an Xmyth card for several perfectly valid and
genuine reasons (one of being the environmental impact of such
procedures), how do you then get through to them that you are serious
about your request? And it's not just the one card, it's all the cards
set to me ad everone else who would rather prefer they didn't.

It's the same as smoking. When I asked non smokers (and even some
smokers) if they would *prefer* not to be exposed to be smoke they
typically all answered 'yes', just most didn't feel they had the right
to not be so exposed (so would often 'suffer in silence'). Now times
they are a changing and all sorts of people and groups are having
their voice heard and the balance of rights set returned.

You intrigue me.

I know. ;-)

You *can* make a decision to not receive Christmas
cards,

Well no. I can make a request not to be sent them, I have little
control over receiving them (other than rejecting them thereafter).

but *cannot* make a decision when it is life changing.

Like the unknown that is Brexit till the deal is known you mean? Yes,
pretty obvious why huh (even to a left brainer!).

The one constant, is the sheer quantity of blather you generate.

Aww, thanks for following. ;-)

FWIW, I
thought Bob Eager's "Wowstick" was a tongue-in-cheek poke at you.

Do you. What's this, a left brainer having a go at 'imagination' (and
getting it wrong).

You
know, like the Ugly Stick.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=ugly%20stick

Yes, I know the term so don't need the definition thanks.

Thanks for playing though and please continue to do so. You have come
up with some good and useful replies in the past but typically only
when the question involves the skills of a left brainer, like
referencing black and white facts etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 12:33:42 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

It's a way to re-establish a bit of a social link with folk you're otherwise falling out of touch with.

Agreed, it's 'a way' but aren't there better ways?

most people outvote you on that

Who in the UK can't afford xmas cards?

Many, especially the postage.

It's not as if they're compulsory anyway.

But to many they are

they aren't

How many here have been thanked for the card or present when we don't
have a f'ing clue what was on / in the car or what preset we sent? How

how odd

much feeling did *we* put into that gesture

evidently none in your case

... or isn't it all just a
pointless ritual (if you aren't of that religion etc)?

i guess for you it is

I think it's just the same as being young and having the balls *not*
to wear the current fashion or do what *everyone else is doing* but
following your own personal path. I'm not saying go out of your way to
be different, just not doing what they do if it isn't what you want to
do.

heh, I never followed fashion at any age. Following fashion is fundamentally daft

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec 2018 19:50:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:16:06 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

I've just bought (but not really tried yet) a wowstick. Looks OK though.

Reading around, some of the reviews seem to reflect my fears re doing
up small / fine screws without the feel and control of a manual
screwdriver (if the point is using it as an electric driver).

Also, watching the video reviews I'm not sure it would remove say a
long laptop screw any faster than doing so by hand?

Once I have broken the holding torque of such screws I can generally
spin the screw out (or in, once the threads had engaged) pretty
quickly.

And then you have the issue of working down deep holes and the
supplied bits possibly not being long enough?

I note you can buy additional bits that can be stored in a fancy
pop-up pot (that I like) but then that's two things you need to keep
together.

Then it looks like it can roll and so roll off your bench or roll
under something?

The LED's only come on when you press the button and so only after you
have found / engaged the head or you do so with the driver already
spinning?

As mentioned elsewhere, I would live to give one a go and might be
more inclined pay 13 quid for one from Bangood than more from Amazon
etc.

I could make a good gift for the right person but I'd like to see all
the bits in the same case as the driver (as we know you would either
have to find a case for everything yourself or risk losing some of the
bits).

I find there is a reduced chance of losing a bit if they each have a
'place' in the storage box.

FWIW, apart from my original Bosch electric screwdriver that I
happened to use quite a bit at the time, I've really only ever used /
needed the cordless drill as a driver now and then. Most other
electric screwdrivers end up getting separated from their chargers or
case / bits and / or are flat (or run out in use) when I actually
might have a use for them.

It will be interesting to hear your review when you get yours. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:53:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 12:33:42 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

It's a way to re-establish a bit of a social link with folk you're otherwise falling out of touch with.

Agreed, it's 'a way' but aren't there better ways?

most people outvote you on that

Numbers don't necessarily reflect something's appeal and nor do
numbers make something right (like all those who smoked in the day).

Who in the UK can't afford xmas cards?

Many, especially the postage.

It's not as if they're compulsory anyway.

But to many they are

they aren't

You would have to a right brainer to understand why.

How many here have been thanked for the card or present when we don't
have a f'ing clue what was on / in the car or what preset we sent? How

how odd

Really? You send or are party to sending all cards and gifts from you
and the other half (assuming you are part of a couple)? You think
everyone here (even) would be so familiar?

much feeling did *we* put into that gesture

evidently none in your case

Quite. Glad you follow that bit at least. ;-)

... or isn't it all just a
pointless ritual (if you aren't of that religion etc)?

i guess for you it is

Quite (well done). So, you send / do Xmyth stuff because you are a
practicing Christian?

It's the same with the Father Xmas story (lie) we have to feed to the
kids for fear of 'our kid' spoiling the *lie* for all the other kids,
also being deceived and lied to by their parents for the same (cyclic)
reason.

I think it's just the same as being young and having the balls *not*
to wear the current fashion or do what *everyone else is doing* but
following your own personal path. I'm not saying go out of your way to
be different, just not doing what they do if it isn't what you want to
do.

heh, I never followed fashion at any age.

Really? So you would have thought of sending bits of folded card to
people on your own, Xmyth of other events?

Following fashion is fundamentally daft

Quite ... but to not be dragged into it you have to have very good and
non judgemental friends and family or the courage of your own
convictions.

Many (younger) people today are petrified of not 'fitting in' and many
people will get themselves into debt to ensure they do fit in (if not
for themselves, for their kids).

That also includes doing things the way everone else does them. This
is because it often gives such people some comfort (from conforming)
and avoids complicated discussions that some may simply not be able to
comprehend (as seen here). Or they may comprehend (I appreciate you
don't want a card) but simply can't break away from (but here is one
because my wife did it and here it is anyway).

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time
because *most people* have now got the message (and the vast majority
did from the first request). Feck, it makes it easier for them not
having to physically buy, write and post me a card so who / why
wouldn't they prefer that? If they just buy a box of cards and plough
though them off the Xmas card list (sending the cheap / sh1tty ones to
the people you like least), how much real feeling / care goes into
that?

My point is the test of a real / good friend or family member is are
they there when you need them, not that they sent an Xmyth card but
were 'busy' when I was in need of help. I'm not suggesting people
can't be / do both, just that I don't need to have trees wasted in my
name, especially when I (personally) don't get any 'joy' from the
gesture (and never have).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time

Au contraire, T I M. This argument about cards takes place here every
Christmas. I bet you spend far more time arguing about sending or not
sending cards every year than the rest of us do just writing and posting
them :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-12-16 8:21 a.m., Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time

Au contraire, T I M.Â* This argument about cards takes place here every
Christmas.Â* I bet you spend far more time arguing about sending or not
sending cards every year than the rest of us do just writing and posting
them :-)

yea that sounds like tim ,
he's just rerun after rerun ,
he can't buy the stamps for cards ,
he's an unemployed live at mom's ,
he even lectured me on what he can do ,
in the privacy of his own room ,
not his house , not his apartment , his own room ,
wants some info

ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
https://www.arin.net/resources/whois...ing/index.html

Copyright 1997-2018, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.

Query terms are ambiguous. The query is assumed to be:
"n 99.250.57.121"

Use "?" to get help.

Rogers Communications Canada Inc. ROGERS-COM-HSD (NET-99-224-0-0-1)
99.224.0.0 - 99.255.255.255
Rogers Cable Inc. LNDN HSI (NET-99-250-56-0-1) 99.250.56.0 - 99.250.57.255

ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
available at: https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

If you see inaccuracies in the results, please report at
https://www.arin.net/resources/whois...ing/index.html

Copyright 1997-2018, American Registry for Internet Numbers, Ltd.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 14:50:54 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:53:20 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I guess there's something in the water again.