Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 14:50:54 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:53:20 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 12:33:42 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

It's a way to re-establish a bit of a social link with folk you're otherwise falling out of touch with.

Agreed, it's 'a way' but aren't there better ways?

most people outvote you on that

Numbers don't necessarily reflect something's appeal and nor do
numbers make something right (like all those who smoked in the day).

Who in the UK can't afford xmas cards?

Many, especially the postage.

It's not as if they're compulsory anyway.

But to many they are

they aren't

You would have to a right brainer to understand why.

How many here have been thanked for the card or present when we don't
have a f'ing clue what was on / in the car or what preset we sent? How

how odd

Really? You send or are party to sending all cards and gifts from you
and the other half (assuming you are part of a couple)? You think
everyone here (even) would be so familiar?

much feeling did *we* put into that gesture

evidently none in your case

Quite. Glad you follow that bit at least. ;-)

... or isn't it all just a
pointless ritual (if you aren't of that religion etc)?

i guess for you it is

Quite (well done). So, you send / do Xmyth stuff because you are a
practicing Christian?

It's the same with the Father Xmas story (lie) we have to feed to the
kids for fear of 'our kid' spoiling the *lie* for all the other kids,
also being deceived and lied to by their parents for the same (cyclic)
reason.

I think it's just the same as being young and having the balls *not*
to wear the current fashion or do what *everyone else is doing* but
following your own personal path. I'm not saying go out of your way to
be different, just not doing what they do if it isn't what you want to
do.

heh, I never followed fashion at any age.

Really? So you would have thought of sending bits of folded card to
people on your own, Xmyth of other events?

Following fashion is fundamentally daft

Quite ... but to not be dragged into it you have to have very good and
non judgemental friends and family or the courage of your own
convictions.

Many (younger) people today are petrified of not 'fitting in' and many
people will get themselves into debt to ensure they do fit in (if not
for themselves, for their kids).

That also includes doing things the way everone else does them. This
is because it often gives such people some comfort (from conforming)
and avoids complicated discussions that some may simply not be able to
comprehend (as seen here). Or they may comprehend (I appreciate you
don't want a card) but simply can't break away from (but here is one
because my wife did it and here it is anyway).

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time
because *most people* have now got the message (and the vast majority
did from the first request). Feck, it makes it easier for them not
having to physically buy, write and post me a card so who / why
wouldn't they prefer that? If they just buy a box of cards and plough
though them off the Xmas card list (sending the cheap / sh1tty ones to
the people you like least), how much real feeling / care goes into
that?

My point is the test of a real / good friend or family member is are
they there when you need them, not that they sent an Xmyth card but
were 'busy' when I was in need of help. I'm not suggesting people
can't be / do both, just that I don't need to have trees wasted in my
name, especially when I (personally) don't get any 'joy' from the
gesture (and never have).

Cheers, T i m

I guess there's something in the water again.