Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

On 16 Dec 2018 00:54:29 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Heaving this back on topic...

;-)

I mentioned the Wowstick.

You did.

Has anyone else got one?

I haven't and never having heard of them I had a quick Google and now
I know what they are. ;-)

If I was given one I think I'd be grateful but not sure how often, if
ever I would use it?

Whilst I'm often inside laptops and small electronic gadgets I can't
say I've ever felt the *need* for anything other than the correct size
manual screwdriver and especially when it comes to doing such screws
back up.

A mate has a corded electric screwdriver that he uses for de /
re-assembling laptops but he works in a PC shop and for him time is
money ... and he may be less concerned just how tight / well a screw
goes back in as I might.

From my experience of any electric drill / screwdrivers is that the
bigger ones are good for taking the strain out of repetitive screwing
and especially where accuracy isn't important (putting up a shed or
dry walling) or where you may have pre drilled / screwed something
(furniture) and then you use an electric driver to simply fit / re-fit
the screws post-gluing (and I 'get' you can still use the Wowstick as
a manual screwdriver but not sure what sort of comfort / grip that
handle offers in that mode)? With a very fine screw in a laptop or
eGadget I think I prefer the ability to be able to feel the screw
going in, especially if a machine screw into metal or a self tapper
going *back* into plastic.

As an aside, I think I'm put off by the name 'Wowstick' as I am
TomTom.

If I saw one for a fiver, I might buy it (for the S&G's).

Cheers, T i m