Kathleen

Default Looking for Xmas gift ideas for husband

This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail
on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big
ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws,
miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc.
And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand
sanders,and so on. His woodworking activities include making things
like cribbage boards, jewelry boxes, and items along those lines. He
also uses his tools for repairs around the house and such.

I try to pick up the latest gadgets that are advertised on TV -like the
laser level tool toy last year. This year I saw an add for a new Black
and Decker Measuring Tape that automatically propels the tape forward.
Thought I'd pick up one of those. But that's just a toy -probably not
even that powerful since it runs on a few AA batteries.

I want to get him a few tools in the $50-$100 range or maybe one big
tool gift in the $300-$500 range. But I haven't a clue what he needs
(or wants). I notice that he bid on a some tool items on EBAY - a
saddle-square, sliding square, T-bevel, and Center Scribe. He didn't get
the items. I know he has these already so I'm wondering if these are
tools that a woodworker hobbyist would enjoy having several of?

I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great
to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be
able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.

Thanks,
Kathleen

robdingnagian1

You didn't mention a lathe. I just received a Jet Mini lathe for my
birthday and am really looking forward to learning to turn wood. It was
only about $195 + $50 for the bed extension from Amazon after their $25
Jet discount. If he has one, maybe some nice turning tools.

Also, the Grr-Ripper System safety device (push block) is really cool.
Lee Valley has the best price at about $59. It runs about $69
everywhere else. Rockler has the base unit and it may seem cheaper but
factor in the attachment kit and it is more.

Additionally, if he doesn't have one, the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig kit is
very handy for about $130- $140.

One thing I am coveting and you could mention this to my wife is a big
tool chest. There is a good sale at Sears with a coupon for super saver
days that brings a Grip Latch Ball Bearing set down to about $450.
That would be pretty sweet. Does your husband have good tool storage?

By the way, you are a great SWMBO to think of and encourage his hobby
for gifts. My wife does the same and its great. Many wives don't.
Good luck,

Eric T

Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:27:20 +0000, Kathleen wrote:

[snip]

I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great to
have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be able
to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Do you have a sister?

- Doug

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:27:20 GMT, Kathleen wrote:

I want to get him a few tools in the $50-$100 range or maybe one big
tool gift in the $300-$500 range.

Get him something good. Doesn't matter too much what it is, but most
well-equipped woodworkers already have everything they "need" (or else
they'd already have bought one). What they appreciate now is a _good_
one.

Avoid power tools. Nearly everything is badly made rubbish. It's hard
to get the right thing. Woodworkers _hate_ cheap gift sanders !

Japanese saw - a good dozuki (wooden handle as a minimum) is always
welcome, because they come in a dozen different sizes so it's unlikely
to be a duplicate, even if he already has one.

Sub to Fine Woodworking

Scraper plane. A #80 (cheap Stanley) or a #112 (Lee Valley /
Lie-Nielsen, not so cheap). Most people have never used a scraper
plane, and they're missing out.

Block plane. He's got one already. Get him the Lee Valley low-angle
adjustable-mouth block plane and show him what he's been missing.
Their shoulder plane looks good too.

Sketchbook. A hardback bound journal of excellent lined paper, an
artist's medium cartridge paper bound sketchbook, some good cheap pens
(pigment ink 0.7mm fibretips), a clutch pencil (0.7mm, with soft 2B
leads) a box of mixed-grade Derwent brand pencils (they do excellent
sets in tins), a workshop-proof pencil sharpener and a big artist's
rubber. Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.

Tape Measure. The recent big yellow Stanleys, with the "leverlock"on
the _base_. This is one of the very few tape measures with a lock
that actually works (only the leverlock on the base)

Matched set of hardware for a project. Read the LV hardware catalogue
and find some top-end Brusso hinges, locks and drawer knobs (or
whatever) to make a jewellery box / humidor / fishing tackle box.

Timber. A couple of boards of walnut, birdseye maple, or something
really nice that he wouldn't normally buy.

I know he has these already

That's always awkward. Things like combination squares though, people
often make do with a poor one, but they'd really love a decent one
(Mitutoyo or Starrett) instead.

I welcome any ideas for gifts.

Next Fall, leave a Lee Valley catalogue lying around with a marker pen
tied to it. Tie some tinsel and a sprig of holly to the pen, if he
really needs a hint.

--
Smert' spamionam
Morris Dovey

Since I seem to be a late arrival to this thread: Do you have
/two/ sisters?

An absolutely splendiferous gift might be one of the tool chests
from Gerstner & Sons. Most woodworkers seem to have difficulty
spending on one of these for ourselves; but I've never met a
ww'er that didn't drool over 'em. They have a web site at
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/41d.htm

You should be able to find better prices from sources other than
the manufacturer (although the other sources probably won't offer
the same selection.)

I don't have any connection with the company - and I've never
been able to justify buying one of these things for myself.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
mac davis

[...]

I don't think that you can ever go wrong with gift certificates..

They let him pick what he wants/needs and still let him know that you
put some thought into what he'd like..
Upscale

"Kathleen" wrote in message
This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail
on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big
ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws,
miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc.
And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand
sanders,and so on.

I've always been able to find something unique in Lee Valley Tools'
woodworking gift section.

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page....rency=1&SID =

Your Hubby is one lucky man!!! Can you come over and talk to my SWMBO
about xmas gifts.

Phisherman

[...]

If it were me, I'd really like a gift certificate to Woodcraft. If
Woodcraft is not nearby, then Home Depot will do. I do not like
others choosing my tools nor my underwear. Getting someone something
that is not really needed or wanted puts them on the spot--you have to
act surprised and appreciative even when you are not. If he doesn't
have safety equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, ear
protection, quality dust mask, face shield) it will be a thoughtful
gift.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:31:29 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

An absolutely splendiferous gift might be one of the tool chests
from Gerstner & Sons.

They also offer a couple of their chests in half-price unfinished
kits. Nice idea for a woodworker who can do handwork and finishing,
but doesn't have the machinery to do one from scratch. You could also
put an ammonia fumed finish on it, rather than their usual fairly
boring oak finishes.

--
Smert' spamionam
J. Clarke

Kathleen wrote:

[...]

Somewhere a long time ago I read that the perfect gift is something that
someone could afford to get for himself and would want to get for himself,
but wouldn't think to get for himself.

Better safety equipment is always good. Anything from Starrett that he
doesn't already have and that is useful for woodworking is good (Starrett
also has a bunch of esoteric industrial stuff that too specialized for
woodworking). Does he have a set of diamond sharpening stones? Even if he
has good Japanese water stones the diamond will prove handy. Just about
anything from Lie Nielsen is a good bet--many Lie Nielsen items have
equivalents from Lee Valley/Veritas that cost less and would also be good
bets. Or just about anything from Japan Woodworker that doesn't duplicate
something he already has (or a set of their high-end chisels even if he
already has decent chisels that aren't high-end handmade Japanese, but that
might be a lot more than you want to go). If he doesn't have a lathe, I
second the vote for a Jet Mini--a small lathe is one of those tools that
you don't miss until you've had one. Does he have an HVLP spray rig? If
not, that would be _very_ nice--just make sure he's got enough compressor
to run it or get one of the self-contained turbine setups.

Of course a gift certificate to Woodcraft/Lee Valley/Japan Woodworker/Lie
Nielsen/Home Depot/Lowes etc would always be good.

Thanks,
Kathleen

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Clint

Get your husband to create a wish list at Lee Valley, which you can then
peruse at your leisure. He should be able to find a thing or two there he
wants.

www.leevalley.com

Clint

"Kathleen" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Dave W

Gift Certificate, the chances of your getting what he REALLY wants are slim
at best. I received one for my birthday, it's the best present I ever got!

mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:38:30 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

snip
If it were me, I'd really like a gift certificate to Woodcraft. If
Woodcraft is not nearby, then Home Depot will do. I do not like
others choosing my tools nor my underwear. Getting someone something
that is not really needed or wanted puts them on the spot--you have to
act surprised and appreciative even when you are not. If he doesn't
have safety equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, ear
protection, quality dust mask, face shield) it will be a thoughtful
gift.

I agree with the idea of a well meaning gift and being stuck with it..

I was going to get a 3/8 cordless drill for the bench... the wife saw
my wish list, and decided that I was being to "cheap" and got me a
craftsman 19v 1/2" drill/driver that you could drill fence post holes
with... it's a really nice tool, but about 5 pounds heavier than what
I had in mind for bench use....

Return it?
no way, if I want her to keep interested in my tools and shop!!

John Thomas

" wrote in
:

I'd be lost if the digital caliper got lost and I had to go back to
the analog dial caliper. About $65.00.

Yeah, those are great! You can find them cheaper, though. Picked up the
one at Harbor Freight for ~$16 about a month ago (for SWMBO; she loves
it. QC inspector by trade).

Lee Valley also has (a likely better one) for something in the $30
range, I think.

Very handy to have around the house/shop.

Regards,

JT
John

Gift certificate to Lee Valley tools???

Kathleen

Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the
garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he
does. But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to
start with.

This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my
husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure
out another way to get surprise gift ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Kathleen

[...]

Clamps. No woodworker ever has enough

A precision marking gauge.

A good (as in Starret) combination square -- $150 or so from Lee
Valley

Hock irons for his planes.

A really good blade for his table saw.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

John McCoy

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

Scraper plane. A #80 (cheap Stanley) or a #112 (Lee Valley /
Lie-Nielsen, not so cheap). Most people have never used a scraper
plane, and they're missing out.

Block plane. He's got one already. Get him the Lee Valley low-angle
adjustable-mouth block plane and show him what he's been missing.
Their shoulder plane looks good too.

If he isn't big on hand tool woodworking already, almost anything
from Lie-Nielsen would be good. The quality is enough to convert
someone to the handtool side, and the stuff pretty much looks like
works of art.

If he already has & uses handplanes, then a scraper plane is an
excellent idea...it's one of those revelation type tools, the
first time you use it.

Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.

This is English English. He means erasers.

John
Charles Spitzer

"Kathleen" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the
garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he does.
But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to start with.

This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my
husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure out
another way to get surprise gift ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Kathleen

you do realize that when he does, he'll find all these posts himself?

Guess who

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:41:35 -0500, "
wrote:

This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail
on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big
ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws,
miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc.
And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand
sanders,and so on. His woodworking activities include making things
like cribbage boards, jewelry boxes, and items along those lines. He
also uses his tools for repairs around the house and such.

I misse the original post, sorry. Anyhow ....

Good clamps are still an option. You always have one fewer than you
need. I'm thinking of getting some for my wife this Christmas.

David Hall

Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the
garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he
does. But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to
start with.

This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my
husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure
out another way to get surprise gift ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Kathleen

Well, in my opinion, between the fact that you are making such an effort and
the Birthday Present discussed earlier, your husband has everything a man could
want or need. Get any bauble from Lee Valley and double up on the Birthday
Present and there's one lucky guy.

Dave Hall
mac davis

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:18:04 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas
wrote:

" wrote in
:

I'd be lost if the digital caliper got lost and I had to go back to
the analog dial caliper. About $65.00.

Yeah, those are great! You can find them cheaper, though. Picked up the
one at Harbor Freight for ~$16 about a month ago (for SWMBO; she loves
it. QC inspector by trade).

Lee Valley also has (a likely better one) for something in the $30
range, I think.

Very handy to have around the house/shop.

Regards,

JT

yeah, I bought the HF one on sale for $9.99...
I got it cuz I'm getting too old to read my steel one.. *groan*

mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:33:47 GMT, Kathleen wrote:

Thank you all for such great ideas. I've been able to search around the
garage to see if he already has some of the items suggested - and he
does. But some items I don't see anywhere so I have a great list to
start with.

This newsgroup truly has the best subscribers. It's a good thing my
husband doesn't use the newsgroups yet on his PC or I'd have to figure
out another way to get surprise gift ideas.

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Kathleen

you're welcome...
have a great Christmas!

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:

LOL. He's getting this for his B-day. :-)

JPGs please.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
mac davis

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:39:33 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

Scraper plane. A #80 (cheap Stanley) or a #112 (Lee Valley /
Lie-Nielsen, not so cheap). Most people have never used a scraper
plane, and they're missing out.

Block plane. He's got one already. Get him the Lee Valley low-angle
adjustable-mouth block plane and show him what he's been missing.
Their shoulder plane looks good too.

If he isn't big on hand tool woodworking already, almost anything
from Lie-Nielsen would be good. The quality is enough to convert
someone to the handtool side, and the stuff pretty much looks like
works of art.

If he already has & uses handplanes, then a scraper plane is an
excellent idea...it's one of those revelation type tools, the
first time you use it.

Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.

This is English English. He means erasers.

John

thank you for clarifying that, John.. lol

bw

"Kathleen" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Doesn't have to be tools. What kind of wood does he like??
A variety of walnut, cherry, mahogany to stock up the pantry will always
bring a smile.

Dave in Fairfax

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
JPGs please.

I'm w/ Owen on this one. I suspect we'd be willing to waive the
size restrictions. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Vic Baron

Ah, the wrapping is SO critical! Post pix to APBW please

"Kathleen" wrote in message
. com...
LOL. He's getting this for his B-day. :-)

Vic Baron wrote:
Different kind of tool, J T.

"J T" wrote in message

Wed, Dec 8, 2004, 2:27am (EST+5) (Kathleen) says:
This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic snip

If it was me you were buying for, I'd say high heels, garter belt,
stockings, lingerie. Then you wear them.

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

robdingnagian1

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:39:33 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

Try to find a tin for all the pens and rubbers.

This is English English. He means erasers.

John

thank you for clarifying that, John.. lol

Clarifying what? What's an eraser got to do with a tin for all the pens
and rubbers? lol

Eric

I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great
to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be
able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.

Too late feor this year, but you should encourage him to go on
Amazon.com and make his personal "wish list". This allows people to
look him up, and see what he wants. Kinda like a wedding registry.

Bob G.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 02:27:20 GMT, Kathleen wrote:

This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail
on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big
ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws,
miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc.
And he has all the smaller stuff too -

sniop snip snip.................

Have not read the other replies....

BUT

I would Hand him a few Catalogs or better yet go with him to
a woodcraft store etc....not Home Depot etc...and before
your get out of the car (or hopefully the truck) ..Just tell him
he has 45 minutes to blow (x) $$$$ on himself ... Before HE took you
out to dinner...

Bob Griffiths

David Hall

Doesn't have to be tools. What kind of wood does he like??

Didn't you read the whole thread? He is already getting wood for his birthday

Dave Hall