Kathleen

Default question on air compressors and other xmas gift ideas

I am looking for ideas on Xmas gifts for my husband. He does a lot of
woodworking and seems to have most tools. Over the years, this newsgroup
has provided me with lots of great ideas and hints for tools that I can
surprise him with. I can't thank you all enough for the help. And, once
again, I'm back here looking for your expertise and thoughts.

I got him an air compressor about 15 years ago (Sears Craftsman - 5 HP,
I think). It still works great and he uses it frequently. Bu I've
noticed commercials for newer portable types of compressors that can be
easily carried about the house and yard. Hubby likes to do most of his
own "fix-it" type stuff so I thought this might be a nice tool for him.

Are these smaller portable units any good? I saw a Home Depot model
called Husky. Costs about $100 and says it has 135 PSI. Is that good?
Are there better lightweight models out there that can do a decent job?
Or is the heavy duty compressor the best way to go.

If you have any other ideas for good Xmas gifts - please share. Like I
mentioned before - he has about most tools - at least it sure looks like
he does. But if there are any new, unique, or truly-improved tools, I'd
be interested.

Thanks so much for any help you provide - this newsgroup is the only way
I have to be able to surprise my husband with tool toys that he really
likes, needs, or wants. You folks are the best!

Thx,
Kathleen

Roger Martin

Pressure is only one part of the equation for the use of a compressor - the
volume of air per minute at 135psi is probably just as critical in the
operation of air tools. There is nothing more frustrating than using an air
tool for 30 seconds before having to let the air reservoir fill up again.

You may have to use some subtle questions to find out what his air tools use
in the way of volume per minute.

I have come to the conclusion that a long air line to a large compressor is
far better than a small portable compressor on a short air line.

Regards

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs

WORSS

Hi,

It really depends upon what he wants to do with the compressor. The small
portable types are mainly used with nail guns. As the previous poster
points out, they are not good when a large volume of air is required...such
as when using most other air tools. As for qualilty, they are no better or
worse than the larger compressors....you will find good ones and bad ones.

So....if he needs a portable unit for nail guns, go for it. Otherwise, he
is probably fine with what he has. In that case, there are plenty more
tools to go after!

Bill

"Kathleen" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Phisherman

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:49:36 GMT, Kathleen wrote:

[...]

You need to know what tools to be used before making a compressor
decision. Do him a favor and let him buy what he needs. Buy him
Bessey K-body clamps if you want to make him happy. Since he already
has a compressor, a portable air tank (~$40) can be useful.

RESPITE95

Are there any more out there like you?

Lawrence A. Ramsey

My wife is but like I said "MY wife".

On 24 Nov 2003 14:31:52 GMT, (RESPITE95) wrote:

Are there any more out there like you?

Bob S.

Kathleen,

Just wander on over to the original too-porn site (Lee Valley) and get that
lucky man a gift he'll cherish for years..

http://www.leevalley.com

Here's a gift idea that is sure to please - and if he doesn't like it, just
ship it here...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...ren cy=2&SID=

The Veritas low-angle block plane...if you only have one, this is the one to
have.

Bob S.