AHilton

Default Woodturners gift ideas?

Hi all,

A club member (who is an experienced and accomplished turner) is leaving us
and I'm looking for some ideas of gag gifts for him. I've thought of making
some training wheels for his bowl gouge but I'm having trouble coming up
with more ideas either made or bought. Oh, and I need to have them ready by
tomorrow afternoon!

Any help is appreciated,

- Andrew

Peter Teubel

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:38:05 -0600, "AHilton" wrote:

Hi all,

A club member (who is an experienced and accomplished turner) is leaving us
and I'm looking for some ideas of gag gifts for him. I've thought of making
some training wheels for his bowl gouge but I'm having trouble coming up
with more ideas either made or bought. Oh, and I need to have them ready by
tomorrow afternoon!

How about making a BIG (wood) bowl gouge? A member of our club made one....handle from Spanish cedar and the shaft from Southern
Yellow Pine. Looked exactly like an Ellsworth Singature gouge, but it was almost 4ft long. Correct "grind" and all. He said it
was for turning Jello.

Peter Teubel
Milford, MA
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com

Arch

Andrew, probably too late to make one today. I once made a 'special gift
gag' handle for a cheap chisel by turning multiple zig-zags on multiple
axes. Each zig a different color. The chisel edge was blunt and sported
multiple angles. Arch

Fortiter,

AHilton

Good idea guys. I made a small split-turning version of it for the club's
AAW certificate frame just a month ago (skew and a gouge with a nice little
sweptback grind I must say g). The split turning was so that they would
glue well and look good on the frames border. Before I split them in half,
I actually showed it to this leaving woodturner and he thought they were
really just small gouges. I pulled them apart along the seam and showed him
that they were all wood. He was surprised.

I used this great gold (for the brass ferrule) and silver (for the steel)
"leafing" product. It's a wax and called Treasure Gold. I picked them up at
Walmart in the crafts section. Just a little 1" round container. As you
rub it on, a shine appears but the best part is that the silver takes on a
great steel patina. It couldn't have looked more like brass and steel!
Enough of the gushing over that....

Anyway, I just went out to the shop and made a big skew for him. He doesn't
like skews. It'll make a good gift. g The skew will give us more space
to write on too. I'm leaving it unfinished so everybody at the club meeting
tonight can sign it.

Thanks for the idea guys. Quick and simple to make,

- Andrew

"Gordon & Erna Lever" wrote in message
If it's big enough - write date / event / club members sign it

Ralph Fedorak

Thats good.

Nova

Jim M wrote:

A bent gouge - take some soft metal shape the end to look like a gouge and
fit to a handle and bend the tool around in a loop.

.... or cut a section out of an old gouge and replace it with a piece of rubber
tubing. Present it as the latest trend in wood turning, a "flexible shaft"
gouge.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Leo Lichtman

I once tied a rifle barrel in a knot. I have tied several screwdrivers in
knots. I think a skew with a knot is do-able (use lots of heat.) You will
have to start out with a piece of steel considerably longer than the
finished length to allow for the knot.

Leo Lichtman

Jeff Loughridge wrote: Drill a hole in the wooden handle end of a gouge
and glue in a power cord. Electric gouge.
I remember an electric corn cob I saw once hanging up next to the porcelain
potty.