J. Clarke

Kathleen wrote:

This newsgroup has been so great each year as I try to figure out what
tool toys to get my husband for Xmas. I'm optimistic that I can prevail
on you once again. I'm looking for either little fun tool gadgets or big
ticket tool items. But here's the catch. He has most of the saws,
miters, planers, joiners, dust collectors, sanders, drill press, etc.
And he has all the smaller stuff too - like the clamps, drills, hand
sanders,and so on. His woodworking activities include making things
like cribbage boards, jewelry boxes, and items along those lines. He
also uses his tools for repairs around the house and such.

I try to pick up the latest gadgets that are advertised on TV -like the
laser level tool toy last year. This year I saw an add for a new Black
and Decker Measuring Tape that automatically propels the tape forward.
Thought I'd pick up one of those. But that's just a toy -probably not
even that powerful since it runs on a few AA batteries.

I want to get him a few tools in the $50-$100 range or maybe one big
tool gift in the $300-$500 range. But I haven't a clue what he needs
(or wants). I notice that he bid on a some tool items on EBAY - a
saddle-square, sliding square, T-bevel, and Center Scribe. He didn't get
the items. I know he has these already so I'm wondering if these are
tools that a woodworker hobbyist would enjoy having several of?

I welcome any ideas for gifts. And any input on tools that it's great
to have more than one of. I appreciate all of your help. I want to be
able to surprise him with some items that he won't be expecting.

Somewhere a long time ago I read that the perfect gift is something that
someone could afford to get for himself and would want to get for himself,
but wouldn't think to get for himself.

Better safety equipment is always good. Anything from Starrett that he
doesn't already have and that is useful for woodworking is good (Starrett
also has a bunch of esoteric industrial stuff that too specialized for
woodworking). Does he have a set of diamond sharpening stones? Even if he
has good Japanese water stones the diamond will prove handy. Just about
anything from Lie Nielsen is a good bet--many Lie Nielsen items have
equivalents from Lee Valley/Veritas that cost less and would also be good
bets. Or just about anything from Japan Woodworker that doesn't duplicate
something he already has (or a set of their high-end chisels even if he
already has decent chisels that aren't high-end handmade Japanese, but that
might be a lot more than you want to go). If he doesn't have a lathe, I
second the vote for a Jet Mini--a small lathe is one of those tools that
you don't miss until you've had one. Does he have an HVLP spray rig? If
not, that would be _very_ nice--just make sure he's got enough compressor
to run it or get one of the self-contained turbine setups.

Of course a gift certificate to Woodcraft/Lee Valley/Japan Woodworker/Lie
Nielsen/Home Depot/Lowes etc would always be good.

Thanks,
Kathleen

--
--John