Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

On 14 Dec 2018 19:50:00 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:16:06 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

I've just bought (but not really tried yet) a wowstick. Looks OK though.

Reading around, some of the reviews seem to reflect my fears re doing
up small / fine screws without the feel and control of a manual
screwdriver (if the point is using it as an electric driver).

Also, watching the video reviews I'm not sure it would remove say a
long laptop screw any faster than doing so by hand?

Once I have broken the holding torque of such screws I can generally
spin the screw out (or in, once the threads had engaged) pretty
quickly.

And then you have the issue of working down deep holes and the
supplied bits possibly not being long enough?

I note you can buy additional bits that can be stored in a fancy
pop-up pot (that I like) but then that's two things you need to keep
together.

Then it looks like it can roll and so roll off your bench or roll
under something?

The LED's only come on when you press the button and so only after you
have found / engaged the head or you do so with the driver already
spinning?

As mentioned elsewhere, I would live to give one a go and might be
more inclined pay 13 quid for one from Bangood than more from Amazon
etc.

I could make a good gift for the right person but I'd like to see all
the bits in the same case as the driver (as we know you would either
have to find a case for everything yourself or risk losing some of the
bits).

I find there is a reduced chance of losing a bit if they each have a
'place' in the storage box.

FWIW, apart from my original Bosch electric screwdriver that I
happened to use quite a bit at the time, I've really only ever used /
needed the cordless drill as a driver now and then. Most other
electric screwdrivers end up getting separated from their chargers or
case / bits and / or are flat (or run out in use) when I actually
might have a use for them.

It will be interesting to hear your review when you get yours. ;-)

Cheers, T i m