Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:21:22 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time

Au contraire, T I M.

Nope.

This argument about cards takes place here every
Christmas.

Best time I feel. Whilst it's in peoples minds in the hope that I
might just make a difference?

See, when they first started using cards in China and Egypt there was
no Facebook, email, the telephone or Facetme. Nor was it so easy to
travel even 100 miles.

I bet you spend far more time arguing about

Arguing about? 1) It takes two to argue and 2) I wouldn't have even
mentioned it if I hadn't been sent a card by someone I had
specifically requested didn't and 3) didn't think that these days
(with what we know of squandering resources, the lack of true
Christian beliefs and how trivial the whole formal Xmyth thing is now
to most people) we haven't already mostly dropped them for other ways.

sending or not
sending cards every year than the rest of us do just writing and posting
them :-)

Hey, everone to their own (but I bet I don't). ;-)

And that doesn't help the issue of all the trees consumed (many for no
'good reason') does it? If you must send a card, why couldn't it be
reusable?

Reduce, reuse, recycle. It's not the single card you might send me
that's the issue, it's the ~60M x 20 (cards) everone sends each other
just in England that is (along with the cost of and disposal of
discarded Xmyth trees by the local councils).

Serious questions.

1) How many Xmyth cards do you (and the Mrs etc) typically get each
year?

2) What percentage of them are from people you are likely to see very
regularly (like at work the day you break for Xmyth, if you were still
working)?

3) What percentage (typically) give you 'joy' (and why / how do they)?

4) What percentage do you actually know without confirming.

5) What percentage are from people you are likely to have sent cards
to previously?

6) What percentage might be from people you hadn't had any other
contact with over the previous year (and why not)?

7) What percentage would be (only) in an electronic form (email,
eCard, IM etc)?

8) (This one might take some real honesty). Is there any value to you
having all the cards on display (assuming you were to etc)?

I ask because I know it was to my Mum and Dad and I had the job of
putting up all the strings for them to hang them on and they liked
knowing that (say) 150 people had sent them a card?

9) When sending xmyth cards (as a couple and assuming you are a 'man'
here) ... do you get / write / post / deliver them or are you only
involved in say the (local) delivery bit?

10) Who chooses which person get's which card and is there a range?

These are genuine questions for an enquiring mind and so anyone can
add their (genuine) replies.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If you need any question explaining, you probably might not
bother trying to answer any of them. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 14:50:54 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 05:53:20 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 12:33:42 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

It's a way to re-establish a bit of a social link with folk you're otherwise falling out of touch with.

Agreed, it's 'a way' but aren't there better ways?

most people outvote you on that

Numbers don't necessarily reflect something's appeal and nor do
numbers make something right (like all those who smoked in the day).

Who in the UK can't afford xmas cards?

Many, especially the postage.

It's not as if they're compulsory anyway.

But to many they are

they aren't

You would have to a right brainer to understand why.

How many here have been thanked for the card or present when we don't
have a f'ing clue what was on / in the car or what preset we sent? How

how odd

Really? You send or are party to sending all cards and gifts from you
and the other half (assuming you are part of a couple)? You think
everyone here (even) would be so familiar?

much feeling did *we* put into that gesture

evidently none in your case

Quite. Glad you follow that bit at least. ;-)

... or isn't it all just a
pointless ritual (if you aren't of that religion etc)?

i guess for you it is

Quite (well done). So, you send / do Xmyth stuff because you are a
practicing Christian?

It's the same with the Father Xmas story (lie) we have to feed to the
kids for fear of 'our kid' spoiling the *lie* for all the other kids,
also being deceived and lied to by their parents for the same (cyclic)
reason.

I think it's just the same as being young and having the balls *not*
to wear the current fashion or do what *everyone else is doing* but
following your own personal path. I'm not saying go out of your way to
be different, just not doing what they do if it isn't what you want to
do.

heh, I never followed fashion at any age.

Really? So you would have thought of sending bits of folded card to
people on your own, Xmyth of other events?

Following fashion is fundamentally daft

Quite ... but to not be dragged into it you have to have very good and
non judgemental friends and family or the courage of your own
convictions.

Many (younger) people today are petrified of not 'fitting in' and many
people will get themselves into debt to ensure they do fit in (if not
for themselves, for their kids).

That also includes doing things the way everone else does them. This
is because it often gives such people some comfort (from conforming)
and avoids complicated discussions that some may simply not be able to
comprehend (as seen here). Or they may comprehend (I appreciate you
don't want a card) but simply can't break away from (but here is one
because my wife did it and here it is anyway).

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time
because *most people* have now got the message (and the vast majority
did from the first request). Feck, it makes it easier for them not
having to physically buy, write and post me a card so who / why
wouldn't they prefer that? If they just buy a box of cards and plough
though them off the Xmas card list (sending the cheap / sh1tty ones to
the people you like least), how much real feeling / care goes into
that?

My point is the test of a real / good friend or family member is are
they there when you need them, not that they sent an Xmyth card but
were 'busy' when I was in need of help. I'm not suggesting people
can't be / do both, just that I don't need to have trees wasted in my
name, especially when I (personally) don't get any 'joy' from the
gesture (and never have).

Cheers, T i m

I guess there's something in the water again.

Judging by the amount of froth I'd guess inhalation as the means
of administration...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-12-16 8:21 a.m., Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time

Au contraire, T I M.* This argument about cards takes place here every
Christmas.* I bet you spend far more time arguing about sending or not
sending cards every year than the rest of us do just writing and posting
them :-)

yea that sounds like tim ,

If you are older than 3 you start sentences with a capital letter and
the punctuation is attached to the last letter.

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization_in_English

he's just rerun after rerun ,

Thanks for following.

he can't buy the stamps for cards ,

Given I don't send cards I'm unlikely to *need* to buy stamps for them
eh? I do have stamps here though for the odd thing I still need to
send by snail mail or don't buy postage for online.

he's an unemployed

Never been 'an unemployed' (what?) or claimed any benefits. People in
glass houses though ...

live at mom's ,

Not since I bought my own house at 21.

he even lectured me on what he can do ,
in the privacy of his own room ,
not his house , not his apartment , his own room ,

WTF are you on but whatever it is, it seems to be too strong for you.
;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:09:26 -0800 (PST), wrote:

snip

I guess there's something in the water again.

I notice this is what all Brexiteers do when they don't have any real
answers, just run away?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-12-16 8:21 a.m., Graeme wrote:
In message , T i m
writes

Now, ITRW, this card thing doesn't take up much of my thought or time

Au contraire, T I M.Â* This argument about cards takes place here every
Christmas.Â* I bet you spend far more time arguing about sending or not
[...]

you aren't the only tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 16:14:53 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

snip

Judging by the amount of froth I'd guess inhalation as the means
of administration...

Aww, talking of that ... bitten off more than you can chew again
Jimmy? All too deep for you on this *discussion group*?

Best of you stick with ****ter ... and sending bits of folded
cardboard to people ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:32:37 -0700, % % wrote:

snip

you aren't the only tim

So the relevance of your tim reference in this thread was ... another
tim?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 16:16:19 UTC, T i m wrote:
Serious questions.
1) How many Xmyth cards do you (and the Mrs etc) typically get each
year?

7 so far. But I also get some gifts which don't come with cards :-)

2) What percentage of them are from people you are likely to see very
regularly (like at work the day you break for Xmyth, if you were still
working)?

About half

3) What percentage (typically) give you 'joy' (and why / how do they)?

most, because it's nice to be remembered

4) What percentage do you actually know without confirming.

If you mean who I know they're from, all of them if they're to me.

5) What percentage are from people you are likely to have sent cards
to previously?

all

6) What percentage might be from people you hadn't had any other
contact with over the previous year (and why not)?

about 1/3rd.

7) What percentage would be (only) in an electronic form (email,
eCard, IM etc)?

sent one by email this year!

8) (This one might take some real honesty). Is there any value to you
having all the cards on display (assuming you were to etc)?
I ask because I know it was to my Mum and Dad and I had the job of
putting up all the strings for them to hang them on and they liked
knowing that (say) 150 people had sent them a card?

it's nice and christmassy, and helps convince myself I have a social life.

9) When sending xmyth cards (as a couple and assuming you are a 'man'
here) ... do you get / write / post / deliver them or are you only
involved in say the (local) delivery bit?

Design the card, order the cards from the printer, write the cards, post the cards, deliver the cards, ... but I am single.

10) Who chooses which person get's which card and is there a range?

I do, and subject to availability everyone gets the same from one or two designs. A few people will get one of a previous year's spare cards. People I don't like much will get one from the last Woolworth's jumbo box.

I can see me dropping to email cards only for the people who aren't local, because of the postage costs.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I bet you spend far more time arguing about

Arguing about? 1) It takes two to argue

Well yes, but we all only have to argue once - you have to argue with
every one of us :-)

Serious questions.

OK, I'll bite.

1) How many Xmyth cards do you (and the Mrs etc) typically get each
year?

These days, we send and receive around two dozen, although not all via
the post.

2) What percentage of them are from people you are likely to see very
regularly (like at work the day you break for Xmyth, if you were still
working)?

Two (cards, not percent), and one of them is our postie, whom we have
known for many years. He gets a decent bottle, too, but he is a friend
as well as our postie.

3) What percentage (typically) give you 'joy' (and why / how do they)?

Pleasure rather than joy, but they all give pleasure in the sense of
being remembered, and reassurance that the sender is not dead.

4) What percentage do you actually know without confirming.

Do you mean, when a card arrives, do I know the person/people who have
signed it? All of them.

5) What percentage are from people you are likely to have sent cards
to previously?

Most.

6) What percentage might be from people you hadn't had any other
contact with over the previous year (and why not)?

Probably half. But isn't that the point? To keep in touch? When I
started proper, full time work in 1970 I was quite friendly with a girl
who was at least ten years older. Four years later we both relocated
with the firm, and were friends. Another two years and I left, and
moved away. Have not seen her since 1976 yet we have always kept in
touch, letters, occasional phone calls and Christmas cards. No card for
the last two years, so I fear the inevitable, but am grateful that we
exchanged cards, always with news snippets, for as long as we did.

I may be slightly unusual in that I have moved around the country quite
a lot, and therefore have friends from areas that I will probably never
revisit in person.

7) What percentage would be (only) in an electronic form (email,
eCard, IM etc)?

Perhaps a quarter.

8) (This one might take some real honesty). Is there any value to you
having all the cards on display (assuming you were to etc)?

Very much so. I'm very much a traditionalist in many ways and yes, I
love Christmas. I enjoy writing, receiving and displaying cards,
decorating the (real) tree, Christmas lunch, playing board games,
singing carols, remembering the 'reason for the season', exchanging
gifts (immediate family only - and one postie), admiring the village
lights, seeing the joy of the kiddies as they see Father Christmas and
his reindeer and all the rest of it.

I ask because I know it was to my Mum and Dad and I had the job of
putting up all the strings for them to hang them on and they liked
knowing that (say) 150 people had sent them a card?

grin My Mum, even at the end of her long life, sent and received far
more cards than we do. Four times as many.

There are four screws permanently in the wall here, for the strings to
hold the cards - and permanent hooks around the windows to hang lights.

Not, I hasten to add, that we go OTT - no exterior lights, illuminated
figures etc. We don't have garden gnomes either ...

9) When sending xmyth cards (as a couple and assuming you are a 'man'
here) ... do you get / write / post / deliver them or are you only
involved in say the (local) delivery bit?

I write and post most of them.

10) Who chooses which person get's which card and is there a range?

Well, a range yes, but they are all fairly generic and choice is fairly
random. It is (I think) what we write that is important, not the pre
printed mush. Personally, I'm not a fan of cards (of any type) with
reams of pre printed mushy gushy stuff. A fairly simple Happy
(Occasion) will do - I'll add whatever needs saying.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:04:56 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and the honesty Owain
(especially the Woolworth's jumbo box for the Z listers) ;-)

I can see and appreciate it might be a bit different of you were on
your own, (however you got there) however, I don't think even that
would make me want to send Xmyth cards but might make me a bit more
(or appear more) sociable. ;-)

On one hand I don't particularly like my own company but I am also
fairly fussy who I spend time with. Like, I prefer down_to_earth,
honest and practical people ... people who can look after themselves
and where we might share some common interests etc. People where there
is no effort needed to talk about anything ... even if it is bollix.
Someone willing to also put a brew on, or knock up a sarnie for as
both, even if it's 'not their house'. ;-)

I'm lucky that I currently have much of that with my Mrs (we are
'mates' and are happy to knock about together etc).

Ironically we have both said we want to be the first to go ... knowing
how hard it might be to be on your own, after such a relationship etc.

In fact I've even said I'm not sure I'd still want to be around if she
goes, but she has insisted I stay for everone else (mainly daughters
etc). Not sure what good I would be to them.

I (really really) do feel for anyone who has lost a long term partner,
and especially if you had anything like the life I have had with mine.

I would be happy to 'be there' for anyone, even on the end of a phone
if that gave them any distraction / solace.

All the best mate.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 16:31:56 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:09:26 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

snip

I guess there's something in the water again.

I notice this is what all Brexiteers do when they don't have any real
answers, just run away?

Cheers, T i m

What's weird about you is that you think you can do reason.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:08:40 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

I bet you spend far more time arguing about

Arguing about? 1) It takes two to argue

Well yes, but we all only have to argue once - you have to argue with
every one of us :-)

'Discuss' mate, 'discuss'. ;-)

Serious questions.

OK, I'll bite.

Cheers.

[...]

Thanks for taking the time to reply Graeme, it was both interesting
(statistically) and informative (insight).

I can appreciate how getting a card can be a form of ACK that the
other party exists. Their next-of-kin may not know you or your address
or that you care they are around or not. An alternative might be some
form of pre-prepared letter left in a safe location to be sent in the
event of their demise? Only finding out they died two years ago (by
the lack of Xmas cards) wouldn't be any good if you wanted to go to
the funeral?

I like the idea that you would actually write *something* more than
'Best wishes' etc. That makes it less of an issue (than just being a
pre printed folded mashed tree) etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 17:59:26 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:57:17 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 16:31:56 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:09:26 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

What's weird about you is that you think you can do reason.

Yes, that must be it. Keep sending the folded cardboard ...

Cheers, T i m

I shall, it's a constructive social skill.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 17:38:39 UTC, T i m wrote:
it's nice and christmassy, and helps convince myself I have a social life.
... but I am single.

I can see and appreciate it might be a bit different of you were on
your own, (however you got there)

It's not that I ended up single, I started off single and it never changed!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:08:40 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

[...]

Theres still time T i
m i d, last posting date is 22nd I think?
Are things really that tight? Or really so desperately "alt" ?

(soo looking forward to the next drug induced festive ream ;-) )
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2018 11:58, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 02:56:31 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Well while doing some shopping, I had Amazon slip a bottle of Laphroaig
Quater Cask into the basket... A glass of that can even make T i m seem
cheerful!

The irony of all this is tat T i m is actually pretty cheerful most
of the time.

Yeah, I meant "seem cheerful to *us*!" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Well while doing some shopping, I had Amazon slip a bottle of Laphroaig
Quater Cask into the basket... A glass of that can even make T i m seem
cheerful!

The irony of all this is tat T i m is actually pretty cheerful most
of the time.

Yeah, I meant "seem cheerful to *us*!" ;-)

I know (hence the irony).

alt.comedy is this way ;-)

That said, it does take quite a bit to make me LOL and therefore why
I'm not actually 'entertained' by a bit of folded cardboard or by
bringing a tree into the house (when I was told off as a child for
bringing mud into the house on my shoes)?

Daughter has put the (plastic) tree up round my Mums (for Mum) and it
was funny to see Mum and my Mrs not to be able to sit opposite each
other to play cards (so had to sit at 90 Deg) because there was a tree
in the way. ;-)

And as for the agreed non-presents ... my socks need to be the low
grip type and I can't drink the Special Brew because inevitably I'm
the one driving.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Although perhaps that is just down to their lack of spanners ;-)

My recent plumbing experiences point towards a need for robust but thin
open ended spanners.

Having the need to remove a boiler equipped wood burning stove with very
limited clearance I got myself one of these to undo the unions on the
gravity system water pipes.

http://www.nerradtools.com/stubbywrenches/

, saved a lot of time and demolishing of a surround made of hardiebacker
board with tiles fixed to it that had been built around the stove after it
was first installed .
It was the shortest wrench I could find with the jaw size for 28mm pipe
fittings. Around 39mm or inch and a half in old money.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 15/12/2018 17:29, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
In article ,
charles wrote:
At my local Tesco, was a chap with a large trolley full of bottled
water, only. Probably for some sort of commercial use. You'd have
thought he'd have had the sense to go to Lidl for that.

or Bookers

I dunno where the nearest cash and carry is. But several Lidl nearby. As
he'd have had to have driven to the Tesco - he couldn't have carried all
that water back on foot.

Maybe he pinched the shopping trolley?

Pinched?
I think £1 is a pretty decent deal (if you go for the large size)

Pinched shopping trolleys or £1 ones do seem to end up in the most odd
places.

eg HMP "not saying which one" and the catering staff use a ASDA trolley
to transport goods around. And in one school in South Yorkshire the
caretaker uses a TESCO trolley.

I have an ALDI one. I do not have a use for it but I was ****ed when I
put the quid into it.

Mate regularly loaded a trolley from B and Q or Asda or somewhere like that
and pushed it all the way home,
He then parked it around the corner and phoned a phone number on them to
report an abandoned trolley so he wasnt all bad.

I see you can now do it by an app.

https://www.wanzl.com/en_EN/service/trolleywise/

GH