Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

T i m Wrote in message:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:08:40 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:21:22 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

I bet you spend far more time arguing about

Arguing about? 1) It takes two to argue

Well yes, but we all only have to argue once - you have to argue with
every one of us :-)

'Discuss' mate, 'discuss'. ;-)

Serious questions.

OK, I'll bite.

Cheers.

1) How many Xmyth cards do you (and the Mrs etc) typically get each
year?

These days, we send and receive around two dozen, although not all via
the post.

2) What percentage of them are from people you are likely to see very
regularly (like at work the day you break for Xmyth, if you were still
working)?

Two (cards, not percent), and one of them is our postie, whom we have
known for many years. He gets a decent bottle, too, but he is a friend
as well as our postie.

3) What percentage (typically) give you 'joy' (and why / how do they)?

Pleasure rather than joy, but they all give pleasure in the sense of
being remembered, and reassurance that the sender is not dead.

4) What percentage do you actually know without confirming.

Do you mean, when a card arrives, do I know the person/people who have
signed it? All of them.

5) What percentage are from people you are likely to have sent cards
to previously?

Most.

6) What percentage might be from people you hadn't had any other
contact with over the previous year (and why not)?

Probably half. But isn't that the point? To keep in touch? When I
started proper, full time work in 1970 I was quite friendly with a girl
who was at least ten years older. Four years later we both relocated
with the firm, and were friends. Another two years and I left, and
moved away. Have not seen her since 1976 yet we have always kept in
touch, letters, occasional phone calls and Christmas cards. No card for
the last two years, so I fear the inevitable, but am grateful that we
exchanged cards, always with news snippets, for as long as we did.

I may be slightly unusual in that I have moved around the country quite
a lot, and therefore have friends from areas that I will probably never
revisit in person.

7) What percentage would be (only) in an electronic form (email,
eCard, IM etc)?

Perhaps a quarter.

8) (This one might take some real honesty). Is there any value to you
having all the cards on display (assuming you were to etc)?

Very much so. I'm very much a traditionalist in many ways and yes, I
love Christmas. I enjoy writing, receiving and displaying cards,
decorating the (real) tree, Christmas lunch, playing board games,
singing carols, remembering the 'reason for the season', exchanging
gifts (immediate family only - and one postie), admiring the village
lights, seeing the joy of the kiddies as they see Father Christmas and
his reindeer and all the rest of it.

I ask because I know it was to my Mum and Dad and I had the job of
putting up all the strings for them to hang them on and they liked
knowing that (say) 150 people had sent them a card?

grin My Mum, even at the end of her long life, sent and received far
more cards than we do. Four times as many.

There are four screws permanently in the wall here, for the strings to
hold the cards - and permanent hooks around the windows to hang lights.

Not, I hasten to add, that we go OTT - no exterior lights, illuminated
figures etc. We don't have garden gnomes either ...

9) When sending xmyth cards (as a couple and assuming you are a 'man'
here) ... do you get / write / post / deliver them or are you only
involved in say the (local) delivery bit?

I write and post most of them.

10) Who chooses which person get's which card and is there a range?

Well, a range yes, but they are all fairly generic and choice is fairly
random. It is (I think) what we write that is important, not the pre
printed mush. Personally, I'm not a fan of cards (of any type) with
reams of pre printed mushy gushy stuff. A fairly simple Happy
(Occasion) will do - I'll add whatever needs saying.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Graeme, it was both interesting
(statistically) and informative (insight).

I can appreciate how getting a card can be a form of ACK that the
other party exists. Their next-of-kin may not know you or your address
or that you care they are around or not. An alternative might be some
form of pre-prepared letter left in a safe location to be sent in the
event of their demise? Only finding out they died two years ago (by
the lack of Xmas cards) wouldn't be any good if you wanted to go to
the funeral?

I like the idea that you would actually write *something* more than
'Best wishes' etc. That makes it less of an issue (than just being a
pre printed folded mashed tree) etc. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Theres still time T i
m i d, last posting date is 22nd I think?
Are things really that tight? Or really so desperately "alt" ?

(soo looking forward to the next drug induced festive ream ;-) )
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/