Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got any good xmas diyish gift / gadget ideas?

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 December 2018 15:16:08 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

Are you the sender or recipient?

A pair of braces would be a stocking-filler
http://www.brimarc.com/category/BriM...ces-799713.htm

If Santa is being very generous, a pair of ear defenders with bluetooth for listening to music in the workshop

https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...with-Bluetooth

Or maybe a handy toolbar

https://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...04218/Toolbars

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 15:16, John Rumm wrote:

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

Might as well add some I have found:

Very ow profile right angle hex screwdriver bit adaptor - invaluable for
getting at screws that are otherwise impossible:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-sc...questid=322922

Love these for woodwork etc where you want full dexterity, but would
welcome some extra protection and loads of extra grip:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-dext...ck-large/7082j

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:16:06 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

Luckily we have been gifted with not being dragged into the whole
Xmyth / commercial thing so don't have to worry about such matters.
;-)

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit
yet. No problem if we hadn't told them we would prefer they gave *all*
the money to charity but they don't seem to understand? I think some
people get the same mental illness from Xmyth as they do from cats!
;-)

I'm just looking forward to it all being over and the world getting
back to normal again ... when we don't have to queue behind someone
with enough food in their trolley to feed a small African town for
several weeks when we just want some milk, eggs and bread. ;-(

'Here Johnny, go and sit on the lap of that stranger with the big
white beard ... and if you are good he'll get into our house in the
night a leave you something ...'

And we wonder why kids don't respect their parents after learning
about all those lies ... ;-(

Seasons greetings. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If we did Xmyth, the sort of thing I would like would be a new
Leatherman PST II (but they don't make them any more and the nearest
new one was a 'Collectors edition' model, signed by Tim Leatherman
himself but $274).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

A really decent set of screwdrivers never goes amiss. Something like Wera.
Not a set with every conceivable size - just the common ones.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 15:16, John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

I've just watched the latest Skillbuilder video where Bisby uses a
split ring spanner for compression joints, looks a lot easier than a
Stilson.

Like this:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Plumbers+Tools/sd210/Split+Ring+Compression+Fitting+Spanner/p23418

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

God you're a killjoy...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit
yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit
yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Indeed! :-D:-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 December 2018 19:07:31 UTC, ARW wrote:
We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders

So how are you going to do that then?

Are there people who send xmas [xmyth] cards without personalised envelopes that have the sender's address printed on the flap?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 15:16:06 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

I've just bought (but not really tried yet) a wowstick. Looks OK though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:39:54 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

p.s. If we did Xmyth, the sort of thing I would like would be a new
Leatherman PST II (but they don't make them any more and the nearest
new one was a 'Collectors edition' model, signed by Tim Leatherman
himself but $274).

God you're a killjoy...

Isn't that blasphemy?

If you were actually talking to me, sorry if I've spoiled you enjoying
the Commercial spirit of Xmyth?

You keep sending yer bits of folded cardboard if it makes you happy, just
don't bother sending one to me (thanks).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 19:07:33 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope that
they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Really?

Video it on my phone and email them the video or link to it?

Which is part of the irony of course, being sent a bit of folded
cardboard from someone who could easier send a personal email or call the
phone?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been looking for an audible spirit level for years. Yes you can get
them in combination with talking rules and apps for your smart phone but a
simple cheap device which goes quiet when 3 dimensionally level not on your
life.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I've been looking for an audible spirit level for years.

You can get a single axis digital level for under twenty quid, they have
an LCD readout which is no use to you, but they beep when they're
actually level ...

Make the noise!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 15:16, John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

Some passable brandy - eg Berry Bros. & Rudd do a small case (3 bottles)
of Tiffon for £116? I don't expect you to feel the need for such after
DIY (unlike me). But I thought even you might feel the need for it on
occasion after reading posts to uk.d-i-y

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2018 20:28, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:39:54 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

p.s. If we did Xmyth, the sort of thing I would like would be a new
Leatherman PST II (but they don't make them any more and the nearest
new one was a 'Collectors edition' model, signed by Tim Leatherman
himself but $274).

God you're a killjoy...

Isn't that blasphemy?

If you were actually talking to me, sorry if I've spoiled you enjoying
the Commercial spirit of Xmyth?

You keep sending yer bits of folded cardboard if it makes you happy, just
don't bother sending one to me (thanks).

Not even if rolled up without any lube?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope that
they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Really?

Video it on my phone and email them the video or link to it?

Which is part of the irony of course, being sent a bit of folded
cardboard from someone who could easier send a personal email or call the
phone?

Cheers, T i m

Normal people who send Xmas cards put their names inside the Xmas card.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:31:06 +0000, ARW wrote:

snip

You keep sending yer bits of folded cardboard if it makes you happy,
just don't bother sending one to me (thanks).

Not even if rolled up without any lube?

Just because that sort of thing is on your Xmyth list ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

A really decent set of screwdrivers never goes amiss. Something like Wera.
Not a set with every conceivable size - just the common ones.

How many sets of screwdrivers can you get through in a year?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2018 19:10, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit
yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Indeed! :-D:-D

All it needs is a card with something inside it to shag a shredder.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:33:18 +0000, ARW wrote:

snip

Normal people who send Xmas cards put their names inside the Xmas card.

Presumably strangers you mean, people you haven't already exchanged email
addresses with? I'm hardly likely to bother to send such a video to an
older person who doesn't have email.

My point is that *real friends* accept and understand when we say we
prefer not to receive cards (suggesting they give that cost to charity)
that they acknowledge such and don't send a card.

We used to get a card addressed to people we didn't know but it was not
any of the previous occupiers of that address or the name of anyone
local. The writing was all spidery so it was probably someone old and now
they have stopped so ... ;-(

We also sometimes get a card from what I believe might be my 'cousins'
but I don't know them or them us obviously (they address it to Tim and my
first wife's name from 30 years ago). What's the point (for them)?

Basically, (IMHO of course g) it's a pointless and disgusting waste of
the worlds resources and a financial burden on those who often can't
afford it (postage and cards). If you actually *want* to keep in touch
with someone, do so (visit, letter, email, social media, telephone call)
and not just once a year?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:56:41 +0000, ARW wrote:

On 14/12/2018 19:10, Jim K.. wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope
that they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit
yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Indeed! :-D:-D

All it needs is a card with something inside it to shag a shredder.

'All it needs' is for people to stop being so f-in selfish and listen to
our polite (initially) request? Why would you waste the time and money
doing something where the recipient had explicitly requested you didn't
and expressed the view that 1) they didn't want it and 2) that the money
spent (could be) be put to a positive cause?

Any card containing anything that was likely to shag our shredder (that
also shreds CD's) would likely be opened to see what it might contain.

HTH. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 21:45:46 +0000, ARW wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

A really decent set of screwdrivers never goes amiss. Something like
Wera.
Not a set with every conceivable size - just the common ones.

How many sets of screwdrivers can you get through in a year?

I guess it depends how often you get yer van broken into? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2018 22:03, T i m wrote:
[...]

A letter?

Is that not similar to a card?

Its still paper based and still needs a stamp.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:39:54 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

p.s. If we did Xmyth, the sort of thing I would like would be a new
Leatherman PST II (but they don't make them any more and the nearest
new one was a 'Collectors edition' model, signed by Tim Leatherman
himself but $274).

God you're a killjoy...

Isn't that blasphemy?

dont ask me.

If you were actually talking to me, sorry if I've spoiled you enjoying
the Commercial spirit of Xmyth?

Feck no, takes more than one earth papa bearded sandal wearer
remainder killjoy gob****e to spoil the festival for me
:-)

You keep sending yer bits of folded cardboard if it makes you happy, just
don't bother sending one to me (thanks).

...and the chances of that happening were....?

Merry Christmas (tiny) T i m b o !! ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Because it ****es you off?

Any card containing anything that was likely to shag our shredder (that
also shreds CD's) would likely be opened to see what it might contain.

Aye aye!

"But do not look upon the festive imagery Tubs!!"

Do you have "Nudy Wednesday" too?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:16:27 +0000, ARW wrote:

snip

Basically, (IMHO of course g) it's a pointless and disgusting waste
of the worlds resources and a financial burden on those who often can't
afford it (postage and cards). If you actually *want* to keep in touch
with someone, do so (visit, letter, email, social media, telephone
call) and not just once a year?

A letter?

Yes.

Is that not similar to a card?

Similar, yes, but not the same (they even have different names and are
made out of different materials (letters are generally just paper and not
covered in glitter or heavy ink, rendering them un-recyclable).

Its still paper based and still needs a stamp.

It does indeed but would typically contain more personal information and
questions than some card created by someone else. Unless you make your
own cards, write your own text and add information about you and your
family whilst asking after theirs?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 14/12/2018 22:03, T i m wrote:
[...]

not if it's hand delivered. I have 34 to deliver tomorrow.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:14:15 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

'All it needs' is for people to stop being so f-in selfish and listen
to our polite (initially) request? Why would you waste the time and
money doing something where the recipient had explicitly requested you
didn't and expressed the view that 1) they didn't want it and 2) that
the money spent (could be) be put to a positive cause?

Because it ****es you off?

Unlikely, from the discussions I've had it's more like 'we send them to
everyone' or 'we send them to 'them' so we also send them to you' (have
to treat all the family the same etc). People just don't have the
mindfulness to understand that not everyone sees things like they do. And
I'm not the one forcing anything on anyone else.

Any card containing anything that was likely to shag our shredder (that
also shreds CD's) would likely be opened to see what it might contain.

Aye aye!
"But do not look upon the festive imagery Tubs!!"

I'm not offended by the cards themselves, just the general lack of real
consideration behind the spirit of them. You probably won't be able to
understand that because you were happy to gamble with everone's lives re
Brexit.

Do you have "Nudy Wednesday" too?

No? Would you recommend that we do?

Cheers, T i m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:11:24 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

Isn't that blasphemy?

dont ask me.

But you do all this Xmyth stuff so you must be an active Christian no?

If you were actually talking to me, sorry if I've spoiled you enjoying
the Commercial spirit of Xmyth?

Feck no, takes more than one earth papa bearded sandal wearer
remainder killjoy gob****e to spoil the festival for me :-)

Phew.

You keep sending yer bits of folded cardboard if it makes you happy,
just don't bother sending one to me (thanks).

..and the chances of that happening were....?

Hopefully very very slim!

Merry Christmas (tiny) T i m b o !! ;-)

And seasons greetings to you Jimbo. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:33:37 +0000, charles wrote:

snip

not if it's hand delivered. I have 34 to deliver tomorrow.

'Have' could imply you aren't anything to do with them?

(Serious question) If you are, how many of those 34 do you think will be
truly appreciated?

I mean, will they just get opened, read (even if only to see who they are
from) and then hung / stood up somewhere, before being thrown away or
kept to form a 'we must send a card to' list for next year?

Do you think / care if people actually study the picture on the front or
the words inside?

If the card is sent to a couple / family, how many of them do you believe
read / enjoy / actually appreciate said ... or isn't that the point?

If I'm assuming too much importance with such things, do you still thing
it's a good use of money and resources? 60M people in the UK all sending
even 20 cards ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

A really decent set of screwdrivers never goes amiss. Something like Wera.
Not a set with every conceivable size - just the common ones.

How many sets of screwdrivers can you get through in a year?

;-) Ask next year and I'll try and come up with a different suggestion.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 22:14:15 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

'All it needs' is for people to stop being so f-in selfish and listen
to our polite (initially) request? Why would you waste the time and
money doing something where the recipient had explicitly requested you
didn't and expressed the view that 1) they didn't want it and 2) that
the money spent (could be) be put to a positive cause?

Because it ****es you off?

Unlikely, from the discussions I've had it's more like 'we send them to
everyone' or 'we send them to 'them' so we also send them to you' (have
to treat all the family the same etc). People just don't have the
mindfulness to understand that not everyone sees things like they do. And
I'm not the one forcing anything on anyone else.

No just more excess pious seasonal bleating.

Any card containing anything that was likely to shag our shredder (that
also shreds CD's) would likely be opened to see what it might contain.

Aye aye!
"But do not look upon the festive imagery Tubs!!"

I'm not offended by the cards themselves, just the general lack of real
consideration behind the spirit of them. You probably won't be able to
understand that because you were happy to gamble with everone's lives re
Brexit.

Their "lives"? FFS do get a grip on some sort of reality!

Do you have "Nudy Wednesday" too?

No? Would you recommend that we do?

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat
hysterical mindset quite well :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 23:46:47 +0000, Jim K.. wrote:

snip

Do you have "Nudy Wednesday" too?

No? Would you recommend that we do?

Having watched Royston Vasey I reckon it would suit your somewhat
hysterical mindset quite well :-)

Ah, not really watched any of that because it (ironically) seemed as
weird as you do! ;-)

Sending bits of folded cardboard to your *friends*. Weird ...

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 16:29, T i m wrote:

We have even threatened to send a video of the few Xmyth cards we do
get going though the shredder unopened to the senders (in the hope that
they will finally get the message) but not actually gotrountuit yet.

So how are you going to do that then?

Really?

Video it on my phone and email them the video or link to it?

I was more intrigued how you would know where to send the video if you
have destroyed the card before opening it and hence don't know who sent
it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 17:32, Reentrant wrote:
On 14/12/2018 15:16, John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

Â*I've just watched the latest Skillbuilder video where Bisby uses a
split ring spanner for compression joints, looks a lot easier than a
Stilson.

Like this:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Plumbers+Tools/sd210/Split+Ring+Compression+Fitting+Spanner/p23418

Yup, I have a couple of those and they are good. Only thing is none of
the folks I am getting presents for are into plumbing.

Although perhaps that is just down to their lack of spanners ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2018 21:18, Robin wrote:
On 14/12/2018 15:16, John Rumm wrote:
Things you have seen or have on your wish list?

(needing some inspiration!)

Some passable brandy - eg Berry Bros. & Rudd do a small case (3 bottles)
of Tiffon for £116? I don't expect you to feel the need for such after
DIY (unlike me).Â* But I thought even you might feel the need for it on
occasion after reading posts to uk.d-i-y

Well while doing some shopping, I had Amazon slip a bottle of Laphroaig
Quater Cask into the basket... A glass of that can even make T i m seem
cheerful!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I've been looking for an audible spirit level for years.

You can get a single axis digital level for under twenty quid, they have
an LCD readout which is no use to you, but they beep when they're
actually level ...

Make the noise!

:-)

Chris