Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2016 10:10:36 +0100, tim... wrote:

But market forces having settled on a rectangular (not square) slice
size/shape that seems to have been constants for much of my lifetime,

Really?

None of the bread we have is "rectangular".

I was ignoring the curve at the top

The point I was making is that it isn't square, but has one dimension longer
then the other

and IME

the long dimension won't fit in the toaster whichever way you try

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I don't know but I'm getting really ****ed off about cleaners. I have a
newish Bosch. It slows right down cos it overheats if yu use it for more
than about 10 minutes on full suck. A Henry very recently purchased has
now a smaller motor and half the muck ends up inside the pipe and has to
be cleaned out every time its used in anything but a dustless house.
What is going on?

As for kettles, I do think more efficent kettles can be made, the basic
designs have not changed since the 1950s.

That's because the basic design from the 50s is 100% efficient

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
But none of that reverses the simple physical fact that
cooking/heating/baking/toasting will all use less energy by using a
high power for a short time than using lower power for a longer
period due to heat loss - nop matter how good the insulation.

Funnily enough, my microwave cooks food quicker than my gas oven, and
with a lower thermal input. Probably cheaper too, despite electricity
costing 4x the price of gas per kWh.

It's not the power that counts, it's what you do with it.

But lots love wasting power. It's a cave man thing. Shows how good a
provider they are. From the days of gathering wood.

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming from
those who've never touched one in their lives.

--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Conveniently ignoring that most slow cooker recipes talk about putting
HOT ingredients into them. And often frying off at least some
ingredients.

Only the most basic ones. My ancient one is thermostatically controlled,
so you can start from cold.

And as regards frying meat etc first to 'seal' it, up to you. Same as so
much in cooking. It just gives some meat and some veg a better texture
after cooking.

To me, the main advantage of a slow cooker is things don't get ruined if
left on a long time. Unlike virtually any other cooking method. You could
come in a day late and still have a hot stew waiting for you, ready to eat.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Look: back in the day MGBS destined for the US market had air pumps to
add air to the exhausts to lower the ratio of CO* etc etc.

They were not fitted to UK models

But the ride height was raised and those horrid bumpers were on UK spec
models. Ruining a once half decent looking/handling car.

Which knocks your argument into the middle of the Atlantic. Nothing new
there.

--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming from
those who've never touched one in their lives.

Has anyone here had to replace one since the "eco" ones were introduced?
Any comments on relative performance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2016 10:10:36 +0100, tim... wrote:

But market forces having settled on a rectangular (not square) slice
size/shape that seems to have been constants for much of my lifetime,

Really?

None of the bread we have is "rectangular".

I was ignoring the curve at the top

The point I was making is that it isn't square, but has one dimension
longer then the other

and IME

the long dimension won't fit in the toaster whichever way you try

It obviously depends on who makes the bread. A "sandwich loaf" from our
local baker is 115mm x 130mm. Not far off rectangular and will go in our
toaster either way round.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:22:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm,
unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

But, then, I always found it amazing how some of the cheap vacs were
prepared to shout about how they were TWO THOUSAND WATT - yet if you had
to use one, they were **** at actually sucking up, except at making a lot
of heat and noise - while something like a Henry did a much better job
with half the power.

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using
less power must be a BAD thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:01:45 +0100, tim... wrote:

But market forces having settled on a rectangular (not square) slice
size/shape that seems to have been constants for much of my lifetime,

Really?

None of the bread we have is "rectangular".

I was ignoring the curve at the top

The point I was making is that it isn't square, but has one dimension
longer then the other

and IME

the long dimension won't fit in the toaster whichever way you try

Right, and? The last loaf I bought was sort of roundish, with tucked-over
bits at the top in all directions. The one before that was fairly long
and thin.

Maybe you're just buying **** industrial "bread". Does it come in a
plastic bag?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:01:45 +0100, tim... wrote:

But market forces having settled on a rectangular (not square) slice
size/shape that seems to have been constants for much of my lifetime,

Really?

None of the bread we have is "rectangular".

I was ignoring the curve at the top

The point I was making is that it isn't square, but has one dimension
longer then the other

and IME

the long dimension won't fit in the toaster whichever way you try

Right, and? The last loaf I bought was sort of roundish, with tucked-over
bits at the top in all directions. The one before that was fairly long
and thin.

Maybe you're just buying **** industrial "bread". Does it come in a
plastic bag?

Of course it comes in a plastic bag

how else am I going to buy sliced bread?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:01:45 +0100, tim... wrote:

But market forces having settled on a rectangular (not square) slice
size/shape that seems to have been constants for much of my lifetime,

Really?

None of the bread we have is "rectangular".

I was ignoring the curve at the top

The point I was making is that it isn't square, but has one dimension
longer then the other

and IME

the long dimension won't fit in the toaster whichever way you try

Right, and? The last loaf I bought was sort of roundish, with
tucked-over bits at the top in all directions. The one before that was
fairly long and thin.

Maybe you're just buying **** industrial "bread". Does it come in a
plastic bag?

Of course it comes in a plastic bag

how else am I going to buy sliced bread?

grease-proof paper?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

Has anyone here had to replace one since the "eco" ones were introduced?
Any comments on relative performance?

I've got three here - all well below the new limit. And the oldest
probably 20 years old - a wet or dry which lives in the workshop. They all
do what they say on the tin - so really don't know what all the fuss is
about.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/16 13:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from
those who've never touched one in their lives.

Has anyone here had to replace one since the "eco" ones were introduced?
Any comments on relative performance?

I just got myself a 'henry' At 650W its about as powerful and a lot
quieter than my yonks old 1300W one was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 11:48:47 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

It would be a bit extreme to see the steering wheel move from right to
left halfway through the channel tunnel though ...

You'd have to exchange the front seat passengers too.

I've been thinking of exchanging mine for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 14:13:13 +0100, tim... wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

SWMBO buys sliced bread in paper bags. Might be Aldi, not sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:22:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm,
unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

Quite. But just love working themselves up about some 'slight' from the
EU, aimed personally at them.

But, then, I always found it amazing how some of the cheap vacs were
prepared to shout about how they were TWO THOUSAND WATT - yet if you had
to use one, they were **** at actually sucking up, except at making a
lot of heat and noise - while something like a Henry did a much better
job with half the power.

My upright is a pretty old Panasonic. Works ok and will only be replaced
when it breaks. Dyson make a big point about their super efficient motors
etc - so surely must work at least as well as this 1000 watt upright?

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using
less power must be a BAD thing.

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near
100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit
for them, on the grounds of efficiency. As unlike many here, I don't
consider them stupid.

But most who have actually used a variety of vacuums know they vary quite
a bit in suck, and this isn't directly related to the power input. So
legislating to make them more efficient seems ok to me.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

tim... wrote:

Of course it comes in a plastic bag
how else am I going to buy sliced bread?

grease-proof paper?

I thought Warburtons were the last hold-out on greaseproof wrapping, but
they seem to have swapped to plastic now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near
100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit
for them, on the grounds of efficiency.

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A-F rating
and let people *choose* what they want?

After all the rating system is what they did for fridges/freezers and
they're probably the top household appliances for energy use (in
non-electric heated houses).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would be a bit extreme to see the steering wheel move from right to
left halfway through the channel tunnel though ...

You'd have to exchange the front seat passengers too.

I've been thinking of exchanging mine for years.

Its recommended.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/16 14:41, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 18:03:29 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

How *do* you make a toaster more efficient?

I have a couple of those new-fangled light bulbs with ribbon LEDs,
which glow brightly when switched on, just like an old filament bulb.
Impressive. They use very little power. I'm sure it wouldn't take much
for the technophobes in Brussels to think that the elements in a
toaster could be replaced by such a ribbon LED, thereby saving
megawatts across Europe. (Do they actually make toast in Europe, or is
this just a clandestine anti-Brit thing?).

I am wondering whether you meant this to be satire, or whether you
actually believed what you wrote there...

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 13:37:16 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Conveniently ignoring that most slow cooker recipes talk about putting
HOT ingredients into them. And often frying off at least some
ingredients.

Only the most basic ones. My ancient one is thermostatically controlled,
so you can start from cold.

And as regards frying meat etc first to 'seal' it, up to you. Same as so
much in cooking. It just gives some meat and some veg a better texture
after cooking.

To me, the main advantage of a slow cooker is things don't get ruined if
left on a long time.

'That's an advantage !, what happens if you forget to switch it on ?
There's a few things I buy that are slow cooked, all it takes is 5 mins then 1 min standing then another 3 mins in the microwave and I have a meal ready,
no wating about for hours adn I can decide what I want 10 mins before eating rather than have to decide what I want or how hungry I'll be in 10 yuors time.

Unlike virtually any other cooking method. You could
come in a day late and still have a hot stew waiting for you, ready to eat.

or it could be stone cold too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I have a couple of those new-fangled light bulbs with ribbon LEDs,
which glow brightly when switched on, just like an old filament bulb.
Impressive. They use very little power. I'm sure it wouldn't take much
for the technophobes in Brussels to think that the elements in a
toaster could be replaced by such a ribbon LED, thereby saving
megawatts across Europe.

No, no, np. The life of LEDs is too long that the manufacturers won't
stand for the lack of repeat sales. First you introduce energy saving
CFL toasters, then when people complain about the sickly colour and
lukewarm toast that won't melt butter you back-track a little to allow
eco-halogen toasters, only later do you introduce a series of 850nm,
940nm, 1050nm etc LED toasters and finally LASER toasters ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is
near 100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper
limit for them, on the grounds of efficiency.

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A-F rating
and let people *choose* what they want?

No point really in specifying this on a kettle as they are so close to
100% efficient.

After all the rating system is what they did for fridges/freezers and
they're probably the top household appliances for energy use (in
non-electric heated houses).

It's quite possible they are looking at all domestic appliances. But of
course the Europe hating press have to single out one to make a song and
dance about. Before any real proposals are made.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/16 10:47, Brian Gaff wrote:

As for kettles, I do think more efficent kettles can be made, the basic
designs have not changed since the 1950s.

How? 99% of the energy goes into the water with a tiny tiny bit lost in
the lead and through the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 14:32:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:22:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm,
unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

Quite. But just love working themselves up about some 'slight' from the
EU, aimed personally at them.

Not sure but I'd like to make sure that such a decisions are made for the right reasons and if were me I'd insist a new form of suction power was used rather than electrical power.

Dyson use air watts not sure why other componies don't do the same.
youd'd have thought the EU would bring something like that in a real comparision.
But lets think about this it'll take 27 countires to agree on this and they'd have to have quite a few meeting in plush hotels, they won't decide by a simple cheap email or ballot voting.

My upright is a pretty old Panasonic. Works ok and will only be replaced
when it breaks. Dyson make a big point about their super efficient motors
etc - so surely must work at least as well as this 1000 watt upright?

So why don't the EU do someothing useful in comparing such things rather than ban something just on comsumption of power.

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using
less power must be a BAD thing.

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near
100% efficient.

Well I guess 3.1KW is reasnable any higher could be dangerous in the UK.
Not sure how the kettle in the USA deal with this.

And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit
for them, on the grounds of efficiency. As unlike many here, I don't
consider them stupid.

I'd have to know them to judge such a thing although I could judge by their actions. Few polititions are stupid they are usually far more inteligent than those calling them stupid.

But most who have actually used a variety of vacuums know they vary quite
a bit in suck,

and what you're sucking of coure.

and this isn't directly related to the power input. So
legislating to make them more efficient seems ok to me.

of course that also depends on how you meauser the efficincy.
How would you compare a broom with a vacuum ?

You know people leanrt to clean before teh invention of the vacumm so they are far from essential products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's quite possible they are looking at all domestic appliances.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/LKD/?uri=CELEX:32009L0125

So far on the ze list ...

micro generation
lamps/lighting
solid fuel heaters/boilers
professional refrigeration units
games consoles
ventilation units
power transformers
domestic ovens and hobs
electric motors
household washing machines/driers
water heaters
televisions
water pumps
vacuum cleaners
computers and servers
air conditioners and comfort fans
fans driven by motors between 125W and 500kW
dishwashers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/16 15:18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/05/16 10:47, Brian Gaff wrote:

As for kettles, I do think more efficent kettles can be made, the basic
designs have not changed since the 1950s.

How? 99% of the energy goes into the water with a tiny tiny bit lost in
the lead and through the case.

About all you could do is make em like thermos kettles.

To reduce heatloss through the case

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2016 18:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

How *do* you make a toaster more efficient?

Easy. Make them so only the slot with bread in it heats up.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

3.1KW is reasnable any higher could be dangerous in the UK.
Not sure how the kettle in the USA deal with this.

Generally by having gas hob ones rather than electric ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2016 20:48, Chris B wrote:
On 11/05/2016 18:30, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2016 18:03:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Then they came for vacuum cleaners, soon kettles and toasters.

Oh, that 2014 fabricated scare-story's come out of hibernation, has it?

What a surprise.

Even the Telegraph backtracked on it a few months ago.

Well its not come out of hibernation yet - its been put on the "back
burner" (If we are still allowed to have such things) until after the
referendum in case it makes people vote to leave.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/36642906-d...#axzz48NVyRLIh

But after the referendum I will wager its "full steam ahead" (well
partial steam ahead anyway from our new low power kettles).

Neighbour went into our local garden centre, part of Wyvale Gardens
and selected some weed'n'feed for his lawn but when he tried to pay
for it the computer said no. Apparently another EU dictat has become
law recently and the staff didn't know the offending stuff was still
on the shelf. They wouldn't sell it to him.

Strangely enough there seems to have been an increase in the number of
people offering to 'de-weed and green your lawn' (for a huge price).
Have garden chemicals been restricted to 'professional use' recently ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2016 14:13, tim... wrote:

Maybe you're just buying **** industrial "bread". Does it come in a
plastic bag?

Of course it comes in a plastic bag

how else am I going to buy sliced bread?

tim

You buy a bloomer, or whatever in Sainsburys and slice it yourself
in the supplied machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/16 21:44, polygonum wrote:

I agree. Doesn't mean there aren't things that could be done if the aim
is simply lower electricity consumption.

Yeah. Take east enders off the telly.

That should save a bit.

I'm sure the UK national FM transmitters have already secretly been
condemned, and are just waiting for a suitable time to bury bad news.
June 24th maybe ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/16 16:22, Andrew wrote:
On 11/05/16 21:44, polygonum wrote:

I agree. Doesn't mean there aren't things that could be done if the aim
is simply lower electricity consumption.

Yeah. Take east enders off the telly.

That should save a bit.

I'm sure the UK national FM transmitters have already secretly been
condemned, and are just waiting for a suitable time to bury bad news.
June 24th maybe ?

I doubt it. Not VHF anyway.

UHF analogue has gone already

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 14:13:13 +0100, tim... wrote:

Maybe you're just buying **** industrial "bread". Does it come in a
plastic bag?

Of course it comes in a plastic bag

how else am I going to buy sliced bread?

There y'go, then. You bring it on yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:12:42 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Neighbour went into our local garden centre, part of Wyvale Gardens and
selected some weed'n'feed for his lawn but when he tried to pay for it
the computer said no. Apparently another EU dictat has become law
recently and the staff didn't know the offending stuff was still on the
shelf. They wouldn't sell it to him.

And what WAS wrong with agent orange, anyway? Why can't we just buy that
over the counter?

Strangely enough there seems to have been an increase in the number of
people offering to 'de-weed and green your lawn' (for a huge price).
Have garden chemicals been restricted to 'professional use' recently ?.

No, it's just that there's a **** of a lot of terminally indolent people
who are happy to spend money rather than get off their backsides,
especially if the spendiness is wrapped up as a nice monthly DD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is
near 100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper
limit for them, on the grounds of efficiency.

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A-F rating
and let people *choose* what they want?

No point really in specifying this on a kettle as they are so close to
100% efficient.

Just to give credit to the EU (for once - I don't usually) I think that
the real reason is not to increase efficiency of the kettle but to
reduce the peak load on the generation system when 10 million of them
are turned on at half time in the cup final. Ten million 2.4 kw kettles
is a lot lower peak demand than 10 million 3.0 kw kettles, so you don't
have to have the same peak capacity in the generating system (so their
beloved wind-mills might look more attractive).

Time wasted by 30 million people waiting longer every time they boil the
kettle day in day out cup final or no cup final is of course not counted
by the EU efficiency plonkers

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 15:09:11 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is
near 100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper
limit for them, on the grounds of efficiency.

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A-F rating
and let people *choose* what they want?

No point really in specifying this on a kettle as they are so close to
100% efficient.

How do you work out the efficincy of say one of the plastic £5 ones compared to the £60+ one I brought. (actually I have both, I have 4 tin openers too)

It's quite possible they are looking at all domestic appliances.

It would be a good idea to do that but with more thought put into it.
we should limit all cars so they can;t go more than say 20 MPH above the speed limit, driving fast ins't effecinet is it, and neither is driving at 20 MPH.
But if it allows me to go to a fine hotel with fine wines and quaiitly food for a couldpe of weeks then I'll vote for toaster only being powered by the sun, if it pays my salery.

But of
course the Europe hating press have to single out one to make a song and
dance about. Before any real proposals are made.

It starts with one doesn't it.

So what are the real proposals maybe if they were actually explained.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 15:18:09 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/05/16 10:47, Brian Gaff wrote:

As for kettles, I do think more efficent kettles can be made, the basic
designs have not changed since the 1950s.

How? 99% of the energy goes into the water with a tiny tiny bit lost in
the lead and through the case.

Have you every heard or seen steam come out of teh spout.
Have you ever touched the side of a kettle.

When you switch a kettle off it doesn't stay boiling for very long does it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 May 2016 16:33:44 +0100, Chris B wrote:

Just to give credit to the EU (for once - I don't usually) I think that
the real reason is not to increase efficiency of the kettle but to
reduce the peak load on the generation system when 10 million of them
are turned on at half time in the cup final. Ten million 2.4 kw kettles
is a lot lower peak demand than 10 million 3.0 kw kettles, so you don't
have to have the same peak capacity in the generating system (so their
beloved wind-mills might look more attractive).

Time wasted by 30 million people waiting longer every time they boil the
kettle day in day out cup final or no cup final is of course not counted
by the EU efficiency plonkers

'course, if those 10m kettles were better insulated, then less heat would
be lost while the water is being boiled, and less heat would have been
lost before the kettle is next boiled.

I'll leave it to others to decide if there are other efficiency gains to
be made - perhaps by more efficient element design, especially in kettles
where the element isn't in direct contact with the water.

But, no, let's just lob some more coal on the power station instead.
There's plenty more dead dinosaurs where that came from.

LED Lightbulbs Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 109 April 19th 12 10:28 PM
R40 Lightbulbs Usenet Nutter UK diy 6 October 29th 09 07:49 PM
Incandescent lightbulbs someone UK diy 32 August 30th 09 09:08 AM
Price Of Lightbulbs [email protected] UK diy 234 January 19th 09 04:55 PM
Lightbulbs stuck gary watson UK diy 17 February 24th 05 03:57 PM