Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Incandescent lightbulbs

I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs will
become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home appliances
that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven, extractor fan, sewing
machine. These appliances cannot accommodate huge energy-saving bulbs, they
won't even fit into the fitting. What are we supposed to do? Is there any
government advice about this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Any advice welcome.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone pretended :
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs will
become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home appliances
that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven, extractor fan, sewing
machine. These appliances cannot accommodate huge energy-saving bulbs, they
won't even fit into the fitting. What are we supposed to do? Is there any
government advice about this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

The lamps used for fridges etc. are 15w and are supposed to be still
available for a long time yet, but they are now making some quite small
energy saver (CFL) lamps and there are also some really tiny 240v LED
lamps. Probably LED will be the way to go for fridges, where they are
turned on and off frequently and you need instant light.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
someone pretended :
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs
will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate huge
energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What are we
supposed to do? Is there any government advice about this or are we
supposed to scrap all our appliances?

The lamps used for fridges etc. are 15w and are supposed to be still
available for a long time yet, but they are now making some quite small
energy saver (CFL) lamps and there are also some really tiny 240v LED
lamps. Probably LED will be the way to go for fridges, where they are
turned on and off frequently and you need instant light.

Thanks very much, Harry, just what I wanted to know. So I don't have to
worry as long as my appliances are a small wattage, at least for the next x
years. I will file your post for future reference.

I guess the next problem will be: do they have a bayonet or an Edison
screw, and will it be the right size. I don't actually really care about
the fridge or stove, I do care about my sewing machine, which is about 30
years old.

Cheers, from someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , someone
writes
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs will
become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home appliances
that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven, extractor fan, sewing
machine. These appliances cannot accommodate huge energy-saving bulbs, they
won't even fit into the fitting. What are we supposed to do? Is there any
government advice about this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Well, ...

those of us who were concerned about such things stocked up ages ago

anyone wanna buy some pigmy bulbs ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , someone
writes
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent
lightbulbs will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate
huge energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What are
we supposed to do? Is there any government advice about
this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Well, ...

those of us who were concerned about such things stocked up ages ago

anyone wanna buy some pigmy bulbs ?

Even without a capital P, are you allowed to say that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"someone" wrote in message
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs will
become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home appliances
that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven, extractor fan,
sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate huge energy-saving
bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What are we supposed to do?
Is there any government advice about this or are we supposed to scrap all
our appliances?

Any advice welcome.

Do what I did and buy lots of bulbs now. Apart from anything else it's a
matter of principle. The government lets people make their own choice about
CO2 emissions and unnecessary flying, so why not let people make their own
cloice about CO2 emissions and their light bulb preference? You can't beat
the nice warm light from a slightly under-run incandescant bulb. Or the rosy
glow of self regard for having a cellar full of spares.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My electric flame effect fire has 60watt fireglow bulbs and require the heat
from them to make the effect spinner work so are they going to stop them or
should I get a stock of them aswell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Trevor Smith" writes:

My electric flame effect fire has 60watt fireglow bulbs and require the heat
from them to make the effect spinner work so are they going to stop them or
should I get a stock of them aswell.

Fireglow lamps are not affected by the changes at the moment.
However, the lighting industry has seen demand for special and
decorative filament lamps plummit over the last few years, and
that alone means production of many of these lower volume types
is probably becoming rapidly uneconomic.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 12:59*am, wrote:

Low wattage pigmy lamps are the works of stan

I know Stan! He used to work in the old GE lightning factory in
Birstall. Lovely old chap.
Bright chap, his face used to light up every time you said hello. He
used to work with Gordon Bayonet.

They were incandescent with rage when they were told the old bulbs
were to be phased out.
They put up some resistance, but to be honest the protest was more
heat than light.

They're both retired now, of course. Old people's ohm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 00:12:56 +0100, Clot wrote:

geoff wrote:
In message , someone
writes
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent
lightbulbs will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate
huge energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What are
we supposed to do? Is there any government advice about
this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Well, ...

those of us who were concerned about such things stocked up ages ago

anyone wanna buy some pigmy bulbs ?

Even without a capital P, are you allowed to say that?

shortarsed bulbs?
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 04:58:49 +0100, Trevor Smith wrote:

My electric flame effect fire has 60watt fireglow bulbs and require the heat
from them to make the effect spinner work so are they going to stop them or
should I get a stock of them aswell.

That's wasteful - generating all that heat from an electric fire. They'll
have to be banned TAAAW.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 03:58:49 -0700 (PDT), lardconcepts
wrote:

On Aug 26, 12:59*am, wrote:

Low wattage pigmy lamps are the works of stan

I know Stan! He used to work in the old GE lightning factory in
Birstall. Lovely old chap.
Bright chap, his face used to light up every time you said hello. He
used to work with Gordon Bayonet.

They were incandescent with rage when they were told the old bulbs
were to be phased out.
They put up some resistance, but to be honest the protest was more
heat than light.

They're both retired now, of course. Old people's ohm.

I never knew Stan, but I knew Gordon through his old schooldays chum,
Phil Amment. Last I heard of Phil he'd left his wife, Ellie Dee, and
run off with a French floozy by the name of Fleur Essente. I'm told
she's not very bright, but she's very tall and slim.

Apparently they met at an electronics convention and just clicked.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:48:39 +0100, "someone"
My son bought my wife an old (c. 1950's) Singer sewing machine on
ebay :-) The thing was local so (sigh) I collected it. It was motor
driven even had the original cabinet in which the machine can fold
down into. But the drive belt err, -wasn't. and the bulb had blown -
yet it had a bulb holder still there! The speed control was by foot
controller. I stripped the wiring out, re-wired it and ensured a heavy
earth for the lot. Went into a small Aladdin's cave of sewing
mysteries in town. I had the old drive belt and bulb in my hand ready
to explain. The guy at the counter spotted these, turned around before
I started speaking, picked two replacement items from somewhere and
plonked them on the counter. I was an almost wordless transaction.
Took the bits home, fitted them and, no it didn't explode, but worked
perfectly first time! Mrs has remade some heafty velvet curtains and
done several other sewing jobs and is delighted with it! So am I
actually - I'm amazed - it works so well. Then, this is a good bit, we
were sat there one night having a cuppa and saying how good this relic
was, when... it started sewing by itself!!! Slowly ran up to speed -
and then some more :-)
Turns out the capacitors across the contacts in the foot controller
were leaking. Replaced them with 400 vac jobs and away to go again.
Oh and the cost...... £10 :-) +£6 for replacement parts.
(sorry for long story)

When it's amusing like that it doesn't matter. And if it wasn't amusing
no-one would see the apology.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 00:12:56 +0100, Clot wrote:

geoff wrote:
In message , someone
writes
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent
lightbulbs will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate
huge energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What are
we supposed to do? Is there any government advice about
this or are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?
Well, ...

those of us who were concerned about such things stocked up ages ago

anyone wanna buy some pigmy bulbs ?

Even without a capital P, are you allowed to say that?

shortarsed bulbs?

Did you not mean short lifed ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
someone wrote:
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs
will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate
huge energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What
are we supposed to do? Is there any government advice about this or
are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Any advice welcome.

These generally use a special lamp - not the GLS type which may or may not
become difficult to get. And there's no move to ban these.

If it does use a GLS type it should be possible to fit a CFL.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:35:25 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
someone wrote:
I understand that from 1st September yet more incandescent lightbulbs
will become unavailable, probably 60 watt.

Does anybody know what we are all supposed to do regarding home
appliances that use incandescent bulbs: e.g. refrigerator, oven,
extractor fan, sewing machine. These appliances cannot accommodate
huge energy-saving bulbs, they won't even fit into the fitting. What
are we supposed to do? Is there any government advice about this or
are we supposed to scrap all our appliances?

Any advice welcome.

These generally use a special lamp - not the GLS type which may or may not
become difficult to get. And there's no move to ban these.

If it does use a GLS type it should be possible to fit a CFL.

Are rough service bulbs also going to be phased out? I don't want a
CFL in an inspection lamp!

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 27 Aug,
Mark wrote:

Are rough service bulbs also going to be phased out? I don't want a
CFL in an inspection lamp!

I much prefer a fluorescent or LED inspection lamp. Much cooler and less
prone to break.

May strobe too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I much prefer a fluorescent or LED inspection lamp. Much cooler and
less prone to break.

May strobe too.

Doesn't apply to CFLs. Or any modern fluorescent inspection lamp I've
seen. I suppose a cheap mains LED could flicker - but who would use a
mains LED for an inspection light?

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
I much prefer a fluorescent or LED inspection lamp. Much cooler and
less prone to break.

May strobe too.

Doesn't apply to CFLs. Or any modern fluorescent inspection lamp I've
seen. I suppose a cheap mains LED could flicker - but who would use a
mains LED for an inspection light?

Unless they have changed the laws of physics CFLs and fluorescent lamps
flicker.
They may flicker at a higher frequency than 50 Hz but they flicker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:44:52 +0100, wrote:

On 27 Aug,
Mark wrote:

Are rough service bulbs also going to be phased out? I don't want a
CFL in an inspection lamp!

I much prefer a fluorescent or LED inspection lamp. Much cooler and less
prone to break.

If I was buying a new one I might consider a different type. For now
I don't want to have to throw out a perfectly good lamp because they
won't let me buy a bulb that fits. The same goes for dimmer
switches, light fittings etc in the house.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
I much prefer a fluorescent or LED inspection lamp. Much cooler and
less prone to break.

May strobe too.

Doesn't apply to CFLs. Or any modern fluorescent inspection lamp I've
seen. I suppose a cheap mains LED could flicker - but who would use a
mains LED for an inspection light?

Unless they have changed the laws of physics CFLs and fluorescent lamps
flicker.
They may flicker at a higher frequency than 50 Hz but they flicker.

They can't flicker at higher than 5Hkz, because at that frequency
you no longer have a quiet period when all the electrons have
decayed back to their base state and photo production ceases.
(This is also why fluorescent tubes become about 10% more
efficient when operated above 5KHz). Since all high frequency
control gear runs at much higher frequencies than this (for other
reasons), there's no high frequency flicker from fluorescent tubes.

You can still get some 100Hz (not 50Hz) flicker due to ripple on
on the SMPSU's DC supply, but it's never going to be enough to
get the illusion of a stationary moving item.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Doesn't apply to CFLs. Or any modern fluorescent inspection lamp I've
seen. I suppose a cheap mains LED could flicker - but who would use a
mains LED for an inspection light?

Unless they have changed the laws of physics CFLs and fluorescent lamps
flicker. They may flicker at a higher frequency than 50 Hz but they
flicker.

Then by that definition so does a tungsten bulb. The important thing is if
it's visible. And it ain't on a high frequency fluorescent

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Doesn't apply to CFLs. Or any modern fluorescent inspection lamp I've
seen. I suppose a cheap mains LED could flicker - but who would use a
mains LED for an inspection light?

My local MOT station.

Cheapskate. ;-)

Far better to use a pukka LED driver built into a wall wart, etc. Mains
LEDs are the spawn of satan. Bit like GU10 versus MR16

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Very interesting story, Dave. What town is this? I have a Really Old
hand-wheeled sewing machine (weighs a ton) which works perfectly but I can't
get a needle to fit it. Your Aladdin's cave sounds right up my street.

someone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"someone" writes:
Very interesting story, Dave. What town is this? I have a Really Old
hand-wheeled sewing machine (weighs a ton) which works perfectly but I can't
get a needle to fit it. Your Aladdin's cave sounds right up my street.

There used to be a Singer sewing machine shop in West Street in Reading
when I lived near Reading many decades ago. A quick Google search reveals
it's still there but seems to be a Sewmaster sewing machine shop now,
although still with Singer machines. They haven't really grasped the
Internet yet ("For Internet prices, please phone xxxxxx";-), but it used
to be an aladin's cave of tiny machine parts inside.

--
Andrew Gabriel