Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 14:32:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:22:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm,
unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

Quite. But just love working themselves up about some 'slight' from the
EU, aimed personally at them.

Not sure but I'd like to make sure that such a decisions are made for the right reasons and if were me I'd insist a new form of suction power was used rather than electrical power.

Dyson use air watts not sure why other componies don't do the same.
youd'd have thought the EU would bring something like that in a real comparision.
But lets think about this it'll take 27 countires to agree on this and they'd have to have quite a few meeting in plush hotels, they won't decide by a simple cheap email or ballot voting.

My upright is a pretty old Panasonic. Works ok and will only be replaced
when it breaks. Dyson make a big point about their super efficient motors
etc - so surely must work at least as well as this 1000 watt upright?

So why don't the EU do someothing useful in comparing such things rather than ban something just on comsumption of power.

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using
less power must be a BAD thing.

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near
100% efficient.

Well I guess 3.1KW is reasnable any higher could be dangerous in the UK.
Not sure how the kettle in the USA deal with this.

And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit
for them, on the grounds of efficiency. As unlike many here, I don't
consider them stupid.

I'd have to know them to judge such a thing although I could judge by their actions. Few polititions are stupid they are usually far more inteligent than those calling them stupid.

But most who have actually used a variety of vacuums know they vary quite
a bit in suck,

and what you're sucking of coure.

and this isn't directly related to the power input. So
legislating to make them more efficient seems ok to me.

of course that also depends on how you meauser the efficincy.
How would you compare a broom with a vacuum ?

You know people leanrt to clean before teh invention of the vacumm so they are far from essential products.