Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 18/05/2016 23:30, Rod Speed wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 13:25:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 17:32:24 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 13:23:32 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 13 May 2016 23:38:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

enough to not make teh kettel 100% efficeint.
When the most efficint kettle the average consumer can buy is
under 90%

I'm curious where you get that 90% from.

I didn;t it came up years ago (CSE physics I think) as being the most
efficient you can get from a demostic kettle. There's also quite a
differnce between hot water and bioling water.

Think you're confusing it with an electric motor.

Why are YOU confusing it with an electric motor, I'm not.

The amount of heat loss would be pretty consistent across a range of
element sizes.

across a smallish range I'd say.

Making a smaller element one very much more inefficient
than a large one.

yes I know.
Which is why reducing the power to a kettle won't make much sense.

That isnt about efficiency, its about limiting the peak demand
on the grid when all you fools watching the big match etc all
decide to put the kettle on in the same ad break.

But some will put the kettle on immediately, some will nip to the toilet
first, etc.

I'm not convinced that most wont put the kettle on first
and then have a **** while waiting for the kettle to boil.

so the demand is spread through the ad break.

Not by enough to matter.

Lower the power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with
a point where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned
on, possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

Not when they are only allowed to be half the power.
That is still going to halve the peak even if half of them
do **** first. Even if say half **** first, the only time that
wouldnt see any benefit from halving the kettle power
is if they take as long to **** as for the high power kettle
to boil and that is only going to be likely with women.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 19/05/2016 05:31, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The bulk of the heat loss has nothing to do with the
element sizes, it is due to the kettle boiling the water
for longer than necessary after the water starts boiling.

Civilised countries have kettles that switch off on boiling.

But how quickly they do that clearly does affect their efficiency,
****wit.

And if you make it react very quickly, you increase the sensitivity and
make it liable to false tripping.

Turns out you don’t get false tripping.

People will simply return kettles as not fit for purpose if they regularly
cut-off too soon or even worse, cut-off and won't reset for some time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

toilet first, etc. so the demand is spread through the ad break. Lower
the power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a
point where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned
on, possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

Stop the broadcasters synchronising the ad break. Solve the entire
problem at no cost to viewers or the supply industry.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2016 22:49, Steve Walker wrote:

But some will put the kettle on immediately, some will nip to the toilet
first, etc. so the demand is spread through the ad break. Lower the
power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a point
where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned on,
possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

What will happen is that people with small families will put less water
in so it boils before the end of the ads.
People with bigger families will curse and buy two kettles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/16 11:35, dennis@home wrote:
On 19/05/2016 22:49, Steve Walker wrote:

But some will put the kettle on immediately, some will nip to the toilet
first, etc. so the demand is spread through the ad break. Lower the
power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a point
where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned on,
possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

What will happen is that people with small families will put less water
in so it boils before the end of the ads.
People with bigger families will curse and buy two kettles.

And engineers will buy the 3KW 'Industrial turbo heater' element that is
designed for 'melting solder' but fits the Euro Standard kettle by the
removal of just 6 screws.

And they Greens will campaign for the elimination of all electrical
appliances except Natalie Bennett's curling tongs, hair dryer and
smoothing iron.

IN the end nothing will change except that the Green party will get more
EU grants, EU based manufacturers will make more money, a few people
will get prosecuted, and the rest of the population will end up a little
bit poorer., giving Lefty****s yet another excuse to say 'its
capitalism's fault' when in fact without a lefty**** EU, it would never
have happened at all...

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 22:44:53 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/05/2016 12:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 16:24:57 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , polygonum
wrote:
On 18/05/2016 14:18, whisky-dave wrote:
Which is why it's be stupid to limit 3KW kettles to 1.5KW.

How do you limit "3KW kettles to 1.5KW"? Use half the voltage?

Think Dave may be guessing about what EU legislation may be
proposed.

Not neccesarily EU.

theory being that because they have put an upper limit on the
power consumption of vacuum cleaners, they'll also do the same with
kettles.

Well who wants a 5KW kettle ? well when we have functions here we
often have nore than one kettle to heat water sometimes we have one
for coffee and one for tea :-0

In our research areas we often have 1-6 studetns in a room using
their own kettles, which is why we or rather the college H&S don't
like us using those plugs with two IEC connectors on them, just in
case someone plugs two kettles in the the same wall socket.

Surely the dual iec connectors are "cold" connectors (no notch) and
kettles use "hot" connectors (with a notch)? You can plug a computer in
using a kettle lead, but you cannot physically plug a kettle in using a
computer lead.

That's just what I thought but managment thought differnt when they came up with teh H&S guides, which is why I ignored them when they came out with such a stupid remark, but you can;t tell them they are wrong.
So I asked them to send me an email telling me to destroy or just not to use them. We also aren't allowed to use those 2 or 3 way square blocks.
we aren't allowed to use the adapters that go from our 3 pins to the 2 pin plugs, but I support that so don't allow them in the lab.
So far they haven't sent me any updates on the leads but have allowed me to continun to use them. I also mentioned that our PAT testers pasted all of them, but told me to stop using two 24V soldering irons because the earth lead was showing so rather than argue I binned them and brought two more to replace them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

No there's no ad break in Eastenders :-D

Lower the
power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a point
where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned on,
possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

That's what I was getting out if we lower kettle power ratings.
And if we are doing that to eliminate peeks will it really work if we halve all teh kettle they'll take more than twice as long to heat up unless there is a 100% efficint kettle which I don't believe exists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 18/05/2016 14:18, whisky-dave wrote:
Which is why it's be stupid to limit 3KW kettles to 1.5KW.

How do you limit "3KW kettles to 1.5KW"? Use half the voltage?

Think Dave may be guessing about what EU legislation may be proposed.

Not neccesarily EU.

theory being that because they have put an upper limit on the power
consumption of vacuum cleaners, they'll also do the same with kettles.

Well who wants a 5KW kettle ?
well when we have functions here we often have nore than one kettle
to heat water sometimes we have one for coffee and one for tea :-0

In our research areas we often have 1-6 studetns in a room using their own
kettles, which is why we or rather the college H&S don't like us using
those plugs with two IEC connectors on them, just in case someone plugs
two kettles in the the same wall socket.

Makes a really good story for the meja to dribble spittle about. Same as
bent bananas.

and we all know there's no plans for smartmeters to to anything other than
record don't we.
And they'll be no way a meter will be able to limit what current passes
through bit other than if the fuse blows.

Just how are you claiming the smart meter will be able to
limit the current other than just turning it off completely ?

You've not heard of diodes, you've not heard of dimmers and power redusers.

If your default setting is 3kw. if you want to half the power to the device you place a diode in series with the coil so only one half of the cycle gets used.

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet. Can you see what yuor phone can do by looking at it.
Can it change the colour of a light bulb ?
Do yuo know what to lok for in a smart meter to be able to tell what it can do ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 08:34:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 19/05/2016 05:31, Rod Speed wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The bulk of the heat loss has nothing to do with the
element sizes, it is due to the kettle boiling the water
for longer than necessary after the water starts boiling.

Civilised countries have kettles that switch off on boiling.

But how quickly they do that clearly does affect their efficiency,
****wit.

And if you make it react very quickly, you increase the sensitivity and
make it liable to false tripping.

Turns out you dont get false tripping.

I do on mine.
Because the thing that switches is a mechanical thing based on teh bi-metalic strip this sometimes discoinnects before teh kettle has actaully boiled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 09:24:47 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

there's no way they will do that ad breaks are syched so proigram makes know when they show will be broken up, and ad makers know how long to make ads for,
and it stops you changing channles to aviod ads. Next you'll be suggesting TV companies will allow you to blank the screen during ads.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

Trivial to see if smartmeters have those. They dont.

If your default setting is 3kw. if you want to half the power to the
device you
place a diode in series with the coil so only one half of the cycle gets
used.

Trivial to see if smartmeters have those. They dont.

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet.

Trivial to see if they ever become capable of doing that.

Can you see what yuor phone can do by looking at it.

Yep, completely trivial to see that it can't by itself
have any effect on the power the entire house uses.

Do yuo know what to lok for in a smart
meter to be able to tell what it can do ?

Yep on being able to vary what power the house can
consume other than turning it it all off or all on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Then you need to replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 12:43:16 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/05/16 11:35, dennis@home wrote:
On 19/05/2016 22:49, Steve Walker wrote:

But some will put the kettle on immediately, some will nip to the toilet
first, etc. so the demand is spread through the ad break. Lower the
power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a point
where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned on,
possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

What will happen is that people with small families will put less water
in so it boils before the end of the ads.
People with bigger families will curse and buy two kettles.

And engineers will buy the 3KW 'Industrial turbo heater' element that is
designed for 'melting solder' but fits the Euro Standard kettle by the
removal of just 6 screws.

It will spark widespread public discussion, and thus the reality that you could use 4kW elements without overheating anything will emerge into popular awareness. Not just engineers but many others will buy Chinese 4kW elements of dubious safety, they will be installed fairly widespreadly. A percentage will push it with 5 or 6kW. House fires will increase, and insurance premiums & deaths from fire & shock. They might reach such popularity that no peak power saving occurs.

Kettle prices will triple: all new kettles will require stamps of approval, testing, policing etc. Then you pay for the replacement element which is manufactured to 3rd world standards.

And they Greens will campaign for the elimination of all electrical
appliances except Natalie Bennett's curling tongs, hair dryer and
smoothing iron.

IN the end nothing will change except that the Green party will get more
EU grants, EU based manufacturers will make more money, a few people
will get prosecuted,

Basic justice will take yet another retrograde step. Politicos will hail it all as a win.

and the rest of the population will end up a little
bit poorer., giving Lefty****s yet another excuse to say 'its
capitalism's fault' when in fact without a lefty**** EU, it would never
have happened at all...

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 May 2016 15:47:36 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 May 2016 22:49:21 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

Lower the
power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with a point
where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned on,
possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

That's what I was getting out if we lower kettle power ratings.
And if we are doing that to eliminate peeks will it really work if we halve all teh kettle they'll take more than twice as long to heat up unless there is a 100% efficint kettle which I don't believe exists.

I doubt people will wear halving kettle power to 1.2kW. At best from 2.4kW down to 1.5, giving a power reduction of 0.9kW. Lots will hang on to old kettles of course, and many will buy new 3.1kW ones direct from China. A market for 4kW Chinese ones will also develop of course.

As Steve says the lower power kettles will then be on for longer, so peak power reduction among these might drop by say 50% of the ideal 0.9kW.

50% using green kettles gives 50% 50% x 0.9kW peak power drop
20% using old 3kW kettles gives 25% x 0.6kW peak power increase
20% using new 3kW kettles gives 20% x 0.6kW increase
and
10% using 4-6kW, ave 5kW gives 5% x 2.6kW increase

Total: peak kettle power goes UP by 0.275kW per kettle.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

and thus the reality that you could use 4kW elements without
overheating anything will emerge into popular awareness. Not

just engineers but many others will buy Chinese 4kW elements
of dubious safety, they will be installed fairly widespreadly.

A percentage will push it with 5 or 6kW. House fires will increase,

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.
Ring mains will handle that fine. No house will catch fire.

and insurance premiums & deaths from fire & shock.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

They might reach such popularity that no peak power saving occurs.

Pigs might fly too.

Completely off with the ****ing fairys, as always.

And they Greens will campaign for the elimination of all electrical
appliances except Natalie Bennett's curling tongs, hair dryer and
smoothing iron.

IN the end nothing will change except that the Green party will get more
EU grants, EU based manufacturers will make more money, a few people
will get prosecuted,

Basic justice will take yet another retrograde step. Politicos will hail
it all as a win.

Yeah, yeah, end of civilisation as we know it for sure.

and the rest of the population will end up a little
bit poorer., giving Lefty****s yet another excuse to say 'its
capitalism's fault' when in fact without a lefty**** EU, it would never
have happened at all...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

I know, the smartmeters don't have those the appliance would have them.

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet.

Trivial to see if they ever become capable of doing that.

When that day comes you'll know but noit until then.
Only an idiot like you would think smartmeters would never get changed or become smarter. You do know computers can be programed without using cards with holes in them nowerdays don't you.

..

Do yuo know what to lok for in a smart
meter to be able to tell what it can do ?

Yep on being able to vary what power the house can
consume other than turning it it all off or all on.

idiot you can already use dimmers from your phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 May 2016 08:31:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

No , I don't I just switch it back on again, no big deal at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 21 May 2016 08:30:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 20 May 2016 00:02:30 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 16:24:57 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:
[...]

Smartmeters dont have any way of communicating with them
and if the appliances dont have that in them, the smartmeter can't
do a damned thing about altering the power they use anyway.

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet.

Trivial to see if they ever become capable of doing that.

When that day comes you'll know but noit until then.

Even sillier than you usually manage with that last.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 May 2016 19:36:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

You've not heard of diodes, you've not heard of dimmers and power
redusers.

Trivial to see if smartmeters have those. They dont.

I know, the smartmeters don't have those the appliance would have them.

Smartmeters dont have any way of communicating with them.

Not yet you idiot that's the point.

and if the appliances dont have that in them, the smartmeter can't
do a damned thing about altering the power they use anyway.

Yes well done, and if you have a car with no engine it can;t be driven well done.
And of course a few year ago NO lightbuld could be controlled by a phone either.
And years before that NO phone could place music, and you counlt watch a video on your phone. In fact the only thing you could was talk to someone on the phone.

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet.

Trivial to see if they ever become capable of doing that.

How will you see that, when you're so blind stupid.
We all knoew one day TV will be mounted on a wall but who new that's you'd be able to control things with your phone they way things can be done.
You might have no idea what IoT is (Internet of Things) but it's s big subject in the real world lots of things will be connected to the internet.
Even my toothbrush can communicate with a clock to show how long I"ve been brushing my teeth.

When that day comes you'll know but not until then.

Even sillier than you usually manage with that last.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You've not heard of diodes, you've not
heard of dimmers and power redusers.

Trivial to see if smartmeters have those. They dont.

I know, the smartmeters don't have those the appliance would have them.

Smartmeters dont have any way of communicating with them.

Not yet you idiot that's the point.

When they dont there is no reason not to have them, ****wit.

If they ever do start to have smartmeters that can communicate
with your own appliances, that is the time to refused to allow
them to install one of those in your house if you dont like that.

and if the appliances dont have that in them, the smartmeter can't
do a damned thing about altering the power they use anyway.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belong

If the smart meters were capable of doing that, it would
be obvious from an inspection of the meter.

They aren't yet.

Trivial to see if they ever become capable of doing that.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belong

When that day comes you'll know but not until then.

Even sillier than you usually manage with that last.

reams of your even sillier **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 May 2016 11:17:42 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 23 May 2016 19:36:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Not yet you idiot that's the point.

Yes well done, and if you have a car with no engine it can;t be driven well done.

How will you see that, when you're so blind stupid.

Rod will always be an idiot. It will never change.

NT

LED Lightbulbs Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 109 April 19th 12 10:28 PM
R40 Lightbulbs Usenet Nutter UK diy 6 October 29th 09 07:49 PM
Incandescent lightbulbs someone UK diy 32 August 30th 09 09:08 AM
Price Of Lightbulbs [email protected] UK diy 234 January 19th 09 04:55 PM
Lightbulbs stuck gary watson UK diy 17 February 24th 05 03:57 PM