Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On Thursday, 19 May 2016 22:44:53 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/05/2016 12:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 16:24:57 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , polygonum
wrote:
On 18/05/2016 14:18, whisky-dave wrote:
Which is why it's be stupid to limit 3KW kettles to 1.5KW.

How do you limit "3KW kettles to 1.5KW"? Use half the voltage?

Think Dave may be guessing about what EU legislation may be
proposed.

Not neccesarily EU.

theory being that because they have put an upper limit on the
power consumption of vacuum cleaners, they'll also do the same with
kettles.

Well who wants a 5KW kettle ? well when we have functions here we
often have nore than one kettle to heat water sometimes we have one
for coffee and one for tea :-0

In our research areas we often have 1-6 studetns in a room using
their own kettles, which is why we or rather the college H&S don't
like us using those plugs with two IEC connectors on them, just in
case someone plugs two kettles in the the same wall socket.

Surely the dual iec connectors are "cold" connectors (no notch) and
kettles use "hot" connectors (with a notch)? You can plug a computer in
using a kettle lead, but you cannot physically plug a kettle in using a
computer lead.

That's just what I thought but managment thought differnt when they came up with teh H&S guides, which is why I ignored them when they came out with such a stupid remark, but you can;t tell them they are wrong.
So I asked them to send me an email telling me to destroy or just not to use them. We also aren't allowed to use those 2 or 3 way square blocks.
we aren't allowed to use the adapters that go from our 3 pins to the 2 pin plugs, but I support that so don't allow them in the lab.
So far they haven't sent me any updates on the leads but have allowed me to continun to use them. I also mentioned that our PAT testers pasted all of them, but told me to stop using two 24V soldering irons because the earth lead was showing so rather than argue I binned them and brought two more to replace them.