Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default First they came for lightbulbs

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 18/05/2016 23:30, Rod Speed wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 18 May 2016 13:25:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 17:32:24 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016 13:23:32 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 13 May 2016 23:38:43 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

enough to not make teh kettel 100% efficeint.
When the most efficint kettle the average consumer can buy is
under 90%

I'm curious where you get that 90% from.

I didn;t it came up years ago (CSE physics I think) as being the most
efficient you can get from a demostic kettle. There's also quite a
differnce between hot water and bioling water.

Think you're confusing it with an electric motor.

Why are YOU confusing it with an electric motor, I'm not.

The amount of heat loss would be pretty consistent across a range of
element sizes.

across a smallish range I'd say.

Making a smaller element one very much more inefficient
than a large one.

yes I know.
Which is why reducing the power to a kettle won't make much sense.

That isnt about efficiency, its about limiting the peak demand
on the grid when all you fools watching the big match etc all
decide to put the kettle on in the same ad break.

But some will put the kettle on immediately, some will nip to the toilet
first, etc.

I'm not convinced that most wont put the kettle on first
and then have a **** while waiting for the kettle to boil.

so the demand is spread through the ad break.

Not by enough to matter.

Lower the power, so they take longer to boil, and you'll just end up with
a point where the early ones are still on and the late ones have turned
on, possibly giving an even bigger peak load.

Not when they are only allowed to be half the power.
That is still going to halve the peak even if half of them
do **** first. Even if say half **** first, the only time that
wouldnt see any benefit from halving the kettle power
is if they take as long to **** as for the high power kettle
to boil and that is only going to be likely with women.