Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

On Thursday, 12 May 2016 15:09:11 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is
near 100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper
limit for them, on the grounds of efficiency.

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A-F rating
and let people *choose* what they want?

No point really in specifying this on a kettle as they are so close to
100% efficient.

How do you work out the efficincy of say one of the plastic £5 ones compared to the £60+ one I brought. (actually I have both, I have 4 tin openers too)

It's quite possible they are looking at all domestic appliances.

It would be a good idea to do that but with more thought put into it.
we should limit all cars so they can;t go more than say 20 MPH above the speed limit, driving fast ins't effecinet is it, and neither is driving at 20 MPH.
But if it allows me to go to a fine hotel with fine wines and quaiitly food for a couldpe of weeks then I'll vote for toaster only being powered by the sun, if it pays my salery.

But of
course the Europe hating press have to single out one to make a song and
dance about. Before any real proposals are made.

It starts with one doesn't it.

So what are the real proposals maybe if they were actually explained.