Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default First they came for lightbulbs

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 13:22:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming
from those who've never touched one in their lives.

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm,
unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

Quite. But just love working themselves up about some 'slight' from the
EU, aimed personally at them.

But, then, I always found it amazing how some of the cheap vacs were
prepared to shout about how they were TWO THOUSAND WATT - yet if you had
to use one, they were **** at actually sucking up, except at making a
lot of heat and noise - while something like a Henry did a much better
job with half the power.

My upright is a pretty old Panasonic. Works ok and will only be replaced
when it breaks. Dyson make a big point about their super efficient motors
etc - so surely must work at least as well as this 1000 watt upright?

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using
less power must be a BAD thing.

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near
100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit
for them, on the grounds of efficiency. As unlike many here, I don't
consider them stupid.

But most who have actually used a variety of vacuums know they vary quite
a bit in suck, and this isn't directly related to the power input. So
legislating to make them more efficient seems ok to me.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.