Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Using figures here and assuming you have Economy 7 at around 6p for 7
hours and 12p in the day (remaining hours):

https://driveandream.wordpress.com/2...del-s-at-home/

Do do a full recharge on a 32A single phase circuit (the usual if you
own an electric car and recharge it there - 13A is only really useful if
you are a remote site with no 32A option):

A full recharge is estimated to be about 11 hours at 7.3kW, so 7 at 6p
and 4 at 12p = £6.62

Or in terms of price/mile:

The same webpage suggests a charging rate of:

3.4 miles per kWh

So if using no more that 7 hours charging per night:

1.76p/mile

and if using day rate electricity:

3.53p/mile

For comparison, my diesel Touran at 50mpg costs around 9.6p per mile.

Either way it's a good deal, but does not factor the massive capital
cost of a Tesla!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

You need to factor in the price of the batteries too as these are service
items. Some makers actually hire them to you for a monthly rental - so
that is part of the fuel costs that so many choose to ignore when talking
about running costs.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Any idea what it'll cost for a replacement battery and how long they are expected to last.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

AIUI those charging points are free to use. The true costs are in the
car's purchase and battery life. So you can't directly compare costs
without taking into account mileage and a host of other factors.

I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend the
(free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest in the
topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no sense
economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Tesla have previously had long warranties on the batteries - no idea
what the Model 3 will offer as the car starts at a more reasonable £24k ish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe Wrote in message:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Well the Model 3 seems to come with 44Kwh or 66Kwh battery, so
with the latter battery at say 13.5p per unit it would cost about
9 quid per 215 miles, plus charging losses - say +10%??? Battery
lease or replacement costs also need to be factored
in.
--
Biggles

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 14:35, Another Dave wrote:
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership - depreciation.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Hardly. Unless you had a supply of tax free petrol, etc.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend the
(free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest in the
topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no sense
economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

I'd be interested what the true range actually is in average use. My guess
is it's a bit like claimed MPG. Something no-one ever achieves.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership - depreciation..

Depreciation is high on current electric cars.
So, buy second hand.

If you have solar PV panels, you can charge up for free in Summer.
In Winter I use economy seven.

For public charge points you need a card.
Present costs range from zero to £10 IFAIK

Public charge points might be vandalised or in use when you want them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Hardly. Unless you had a supply of tax free petrol, etc.

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm certain
that it would happen.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 14:14, Mike Barnes wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

AIUI those charging points are free to use.

WTF?

Are we subsidising that as well as FIT?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:18:35 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 15:06:12 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:40:53 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership - depreciation.

Depreciation is high on current electric cars.

Why do they depreicate faster than ordinary cars and if they do doesn't that make them less useful per quid than a ordinary car.

So, buy second hand.

If you have solar PV panels, you can charge up for free in Summer.
In Winter I use economy seven.

For public charge points you need a card.
Present costs range from zero to £10 IFAIK

How long does it take to charge roughly from a public point.

Public charge points might be vandalised or in use when you want them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is
set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

AIUI those charging points are free to use.

WTF?

Are we subsidising that as well as FIT?

No - Tesla are...

.... fuelling unlimited use, which won't be taxed.

Can they build me a power station? I feel I may be eventually short of one.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Essentially I equate one litre of oil to 10Kwh

A kwh is about 10p, so its similar .

You get a bit of energy saving from regen braking, and a bit more from
the relative efficiencies of electric versus diesel engines, say a 3:1
uplift, so maybe the fuel equivalent cost is 3p a litre or so.

I did work out that it was slightly better to burn gas in an efficient
power station, and charge a battery with it, than to burn it in the car.
Its not orders of magnified. but its there or thereabouts.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

There's a helluva gap between my mileage and that of a "long distance"
driver. I understand that some people commute up to about 100 miles each
way. That's easily within the range of the car I drove (Model S, 85D),
without needing to recharge at work, and would amount to a decent-enough
annual mileage - say 45000 miles - and that's without counting weekends.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend the
(free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest in the
topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no sense
economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

I'd be interested what the true range actually is in average use. My guess
is it's a bit like claimed MPG. Something no-one ever achieves.

Unless you are in one of those magic German testing labs...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....

There's a helluva gap between my mileage and that of a "long distance"
driver. I understand that some people commute up to about 100 miles each
way. That's easily within the range of the car I drove (Model S, 85D),
without needing to recharge at work, and would amount to a decent-enough
annual mileage - say 45000 miles - and that's without counting weekends.

I'm willing to bet no electric could do the average 200 mile commute on
one battery charge. Every day of the year.

--
*A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 13:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of
taxing it! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 20:34, John Rumm wrote:

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of
taxing it! ;-)

Yes, yes they would certainly try.

Though I am not sure how... Recalls DVD Region Coding farce and decss
debarcle)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 13:23, Tim Watts wrote:

Either way it's a good deal, but does not factor the massive capital
cost of a Tesla!

But how long will it be before the government decide that they have to
tax the electricity to charge a car at the equivalent rate as the tax or
petrol/diesel? Why do you think that they want smart meters fitted to
every household?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 13:50, Biggles wrote:
JoeJoe Wrote in message:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Well the Model 3 seems to come with 44Kwh or 66Kwh battery, so
with the latter battery at say 13.5p per unit it would cost about
9 quid per 215 miles, plus charging losses - say +10%??? Battery
lease or replacement costs also need to be factored
in.

And in the British climate how much battery capacity will be used just
heating the passengers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 15:47, whisky-dave wrote:

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....

With a new battery! What mileage can it achieve on a single charge when
the battery is a 1 or 2 years old?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/16 21:07, alan_m wrote:
On 01/04/2016 13:23, Tim Watts wrote:

Either way it's a good deal, but does not factor the massive capital
cost of a Tesla!

But how long will it be before the government decide that they have to
tax the electricity to charge a car at the equivalent rate as the tax or
petrol/diesel? Why do you think that they want smart meters fitted to
every household?

Although it would be hard to tell the difference between "Tesla
charging" and "Several storage heaters".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave Wrote in message:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Hardly. Unless you had a supply of tax free petrol, etc.

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm certain
that it would happen

Or shift the tax income to another source.

Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 21:04, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/16 20:34, John Rumm wrote:

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of
taxing it! ;-)

Yes, yes they would certainly try.

Though I am not sure how... Recalls DVD Region Coding farce and decss
debarcle)

Slap a premium on the annual car tax...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2016 23:01, Chris French wrote:

Or shift the tax income to another source.

car batteries?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
harry wrote
RJH wrote

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership -
depreciation.

Depreciation is high on current electric cars.

Why do they depreicate faster than ordinary cars

Because the batterys don't last anything like
as long as a conventional car engine does.

and if they do doesn't that make them
less useful per quid than a ordinary car.

Corse it does unless you buy them used.

So, buy second hand.

If you have solar PV panels, you can charge up for free in Summer.
In Winter I use economy seven.

For public charge points you need a card.
Present costs range from zero to £10 IFAIK

How long does it take to charge roughly from a public point.

Public charge points might be vandalised or in use when you want them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:

AIUI those charging points are free to use.

WTF?

The ones at local Park & Rides not only used to be free, they offered
prizes to encourage people to use them, then they found the people using
them weren't paying for the P&R bus, so just getting free parking and
free charging, I think you have to pay via an RFID tag now ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 15:03:22 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Barnes wrote:
I took a test drive in a Tesla and was quite impressed. I recommend the
(free, no pressure) test drive to anyone with half an interest in the
topic and a couple of hours to spare. But the car makes no sense
economically for a low-mileage driver such as me.

I'd be interested what the true range actually is in average use. My guess
is it's a bit like claimed MPG. Something no-one ever achieves.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Lots of factors, the main one being hills.
I get about 75% of what's claimed but we have lots of hills round here.
The heater could easily knock 25% off the range if used injudiciously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 21:14:26 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 01/04/2016 15:47, whisky-dave wrote:

So what sort of driver is it aimed at long distance ?
but can only do 215 miles.....

With a new battery! What mileage can it achieve on a single charge when
the battery is a 1 or 2 years old?

Lots of people here rabbiting on with zero knowledge.
My car is 2012, any battery deterioration is undetectable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 15:53:06 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 15:06:12 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:40:53 UTC+1, RJH wrote:

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership - depreciation.

Depreciation is high on current electric cars.

Why do they depreicate faster than ordinary cars and if they do doesn't that make them less useful per quid than a ordinary car.

It's a question of perceived value not deterioration.

So, buy second hand.

If you have solar PV panels, you can charge up for free in Summer.
In Winter I use economy seven.

For public charge points you need a card.
Present costs range from zero to £10 IFAIK

How long does it take to charge roughly from a public point.

How long is a piece of string?
Depends on how "empty" the battery is.
From completely empty on the fastest points, 20 minutes to 80% full so I'm told.
(This is a situation that never arises)

Public charge points might be vandalised or in use when you want them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 1 April 2016 15:10:41 UTC+1, Another Dave wrote:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:
But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Hardly. Unless you had a supply of tax free petrol, etc.

No. The point is that if this took off in a big way (and I hope it does)
the government would have to tax electricity used to charge cars to
maintain its revenue. I don't know how this would work but I'm certain
that it would happen.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx

They are working towards a black GPS box in everyone's car.
Introducing it as a way to cheap insurance/theft protection..
It's actually to spy on you and tax you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/16 00:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/04/2016 21:04, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/16 20:34, John Rumm wrote:

And don't forget that if lots of people did it, they would find a way of
taxing it! ;-)

Yes, yes they would certainly try.

Though I am not sure how... Recalls DVD Region Coding farce and decss
debarcle)

Slap a premium on the annual car tax...

That would be refreshing transparent by government standards...

They would certainly do something - look at diesel and LPG. But as you
cannot put markers on electrons, taxing the fuel does not seem to be one
of the options.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Another Dave wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Another Dave wrote

Bull**** they are.

Introducing it as a way to cheap insurance/theft protection..
It's actually to spy on you and tax you.

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed
pig ignorant fantasys/bare faced lies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2016 07:55, harry wrote:

With a new battery! What mileage can it achieve on a single charge when
the battery is a 1 or 2 years old?

Lots of people here rabbiting on with zero knowledge.
My car is 2012, any battery deterioration is undetectable.

The discussion was about the 215 mile range on a full charge. The
battery will deteriorate and over the years the range on a full charge
will decrease.

You may not see the difference if you are using your car for, say, less
than 100 miles between charges.