Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On 01/04/2016 13:50, Biggles wrote:
JoeJoe Wrote in message:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Well the Model 3 seems to come with 44Kwh or 66Kwh battery, so
with the latter battery at say 13.5p per unit it would cost about
9 quid per 215 miles, plus charging losses - say +10%??? Battery
lease or replacement costs also need to be factored
in.

And in the British climate how much battery capacity will be used just
heating the passengers?