Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Essentially I equate one litre of oil to 10Kwh

A kwh is about 10p, so its similar .

You get a bit of energy saving from regen braking, and a bit more from
the relative efficiencies of electric versus diesel engines, say a 3:1
uplift, so maybe the fuel equivalent cost is 3p a litre or so.

I did work out that it was slightly better to burn gas in an efficient
power station, and charge a battery with it, than to burn it in the car.
Its not orders of magnified. but its there or thereabouts.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."