Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 1 April 2016 14:40:53 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
On 01/04/2016 14:35, Another Dave wrote:
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

For a "true" cost (i.e. one that you could compare to a conventional
car) you would need to take into account the tax levied on petrol and
diesel but not on electricity.

Yes indeed. Plus one of the largest costs of car ownership - depreciation..

Depreciation is high on current electric cars.
So, buy second hand.

If you have solar PV panels, you can charge up for free in Summer.
In Winter I use economy seven.

For public charge points you need a card.
Present costs range from zero to £10 IFAIK

Public charge points might be vandalised or in use when you want them.