Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 1 April 2016 13:24:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/04/16 12:46, JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

Using figures here and assuming you have Economy 7 at around 6p for 7
hours and 12p in the day (remaining hours):

https://driveandream.wordpress.com/2...del-s-at-home/

Do do a full recharge on a 32A single phase circuit (the usual if you
own an electric car and recharge it there - 13A is only really useful if
you are a remote site with no 32A option):

A full recharge is estimated to be about 11 hours at 7.3kW, so 7 at 6p
and 4 at 12p = £6.62

Or in terms of price/mile:

The same webpage suggests a charging rate of:

3.4 miles per kWh

So if using no more that 7 hours charging per night:

1.76p/mile

and if using day rate electricity:

3.53p/mile

For comparison, my diesel Touran at 50mpg costs around 9.6p per mile.

Either way it's a good deal, but does not factor the massive capital
cost of a Tesla!

Any idea what it'll cost for a replacement battery and how long they are expected to last.